Goodyear Duratracs vs BFG KO2

Shots

Both are great choices. I've had both.
Duratrac on my 2007 Ram 1500.
BFG TA KO2 on my 2014 Grand Cherokee.

Both handle snow, and mud great. Both have good road manners, and are shocking quiet for an aggressive tire on pavement.

The deciding factor for each.
The Duratrac is known for having a thin sidewall. This keeps the weight down and softens the ride, but it also makes them vulnerable to things like beaver sticks, or a rock to the sidewall.
The KO2 is a little heavier, but can be a bit more durable. Based on my experience they're also slightly quieter, but that may be because they were on a Grand Cherokee versus the Duratrac's being on a Ram. So that make the sound comparison a bit subjective. Either way, both are really good in that department.

FWIW, these two tires are my top 2 for when I replace mine. You'll likely be happy with either one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Which do you prefer and why?

LOL!! Both are good tires but I personally would have to disagree with the response made. Having run both, I have found that BFG's are the ones to have thinner sidewalls. In fact, of all the tires I have ever run and I have run a LOT, I have found them to have the thinnest. The upside is that they do offer a nice comfortable ride but the downside is that they don't hold up that well on the rocks. What I do like about BFG is that they wear like iron and I've been able to get 60,000 miles or more out of them. However, the downside to their tread lasting so long as that they don't hook up as well on the trail or at least, when compared to other tires I have tested.

For the reasons above, I personally would recommend Duratracs as I have found them to be more durable in the sidewall and offer better grip on the trail. In the snow and ice, few tires can compare to the amount of traction they provide. On the trail, I have found them to hook up well too. If there is a downside to them, it's that they don't last as long as a set of BFG's.

Shots

FWIW, I never had any personal problems with the Duratrac. I only mention the sidewall concern based on reviews from the Dodge forum I used to be part of. A lot of guys would avoid them because they couldn't get a heavier side wall. Several had flats on the trail as a result of punctures on the side. This may only be a concern when mounting them on a full size truck instead of a Wrangler. Or it's also possible that the side wall concern was an old issue, and Goodyear now offers a thicker tire.

In any case, the Duratrac is a great tire. And as wayoflife mentioned, in snow/ice I haven't had a tire that I've liked better for that task.
I'm still torn between the two. I like the look of the Duratrac better, but really liked the way the KO2 felt and sounded. Both are great choices and if I were buying tires today, I'd probably get the set that I could find cheapest. They're that close of a comparison to me, that I guess the price would be the deciding factor.

tschultz1185

I have had KO2s on XJ rigs. And they were always my go to. Had great luck with them, but I have never hit the trail with Duratracs. My girlfriend has them on her tacoma but for the look only. If those ever see rocks or mud it will be a mud puddle on a gravel road! Haha. Both of these responses are great. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Four Flusher

I ran Duratracs on my last three rigs and they worked great except as Eddie states mine didn't last that long. I ski a lot so I went with KO2 in 315 this time happy so far but I'm starting to think about keeping them for winter only and get ST1 for the rest of the time.

Jlusahara

I've had both also. Duratracs hands down. Why??? For winter conditions and heavy rain. The design of the Duratracs allows slush and water to escape rapidly, while the BFG design traps it under, causing hydroplaning.

So, unless you are a frequent rockcrawler with no need for winter performance, the Duratracs is the way to go.

I put the General Grabber at2 second and before the BFG.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

DavidDJL69

Duratracs period. The KO2’s don’t seem much different in tread design than the former T/A’s which turned into slicks after they wore a bit & in rainy weather a hydroplane wonder. Duratracs for all the above reasons and I loved the set I received. On my TJ for a time.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
The upside is that they (BFGs) do offer a nice comfortable ride but the downside is that they don't hold up that well on the rocks. What I do like about BFG is that they wear like iron and I've been able to get 60,000 miles or more out of them. However, the downside to their tread lasting so long as that they don't hook up as well on the trail or at least, when compared to other tires I have tested.

For the reasons above, I personally would recommend Duratracs as I have found them to be more durable in the sidewall and offer better grip on the trail. In the snow and ice, few tires can compare to the amount of traction they provide. On the trail, I have found them to hook up well too. If there is a downside to them, it's that they don't last as long as a set of BFG's.

I've run both as well and would have the exact same feedback.