Thread: VIDEO : WHEN ALL ELSE FAIL - How to Steer a JK with a Broken Sector Shaft

VIDEO : WHEN ALL ELSE FAIL - How to Steer a JK with a Broken Sector Shaft

This is actually an video clip that Cindy and I made a few years back but got lost and forgotten about on one of our old YouTube channels. Anyway, being that there's been renewed interest in sector shafts and what to do if you're ever unlucky enough to have one break on you, I thought it'd be good to post it up again and on our main WAYALIFE channel. With that said...

This WAYALIFE SHORT was filmed out on the Rubicon Trail a few years back and in it, you will see how I was able to get our friend Brian moving again after his Jeep JK Wrangler suffered a sector shaft break on Cadillac Hill. While it isn't a perfect solution, you'll see how I was able to attach his winch to the steering knuckle and use it to provide just enough steering control to get him rolling and to a point where we could free up traffic and make real repairs. I hope you enjoy.

Nothing but a Thing doubletapdaddy's Avatar
    I remember watching this. Great thinking! I always thought this would be my nightmare breakdown, but forgot about sector shafts when I started worrying about electronics. Thanks for freaking me out all over again. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    I remember watching this. Great thinking! I always thought this would be my nightmare breakdown, but forgot about sector shafts when I started worrying about electronics. Thanks for freaking me out all over again. LOL!
    Sorry about that

That was a long day and cold ride back to Tahoe. I have two spare steering boxes in the garage. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

really cool! I like those "fixes" a lot
    Mr.Giant - 92 YJ, Flat Black

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    That was a long day and cold ride back to Tahoe. I have two spare steering boxes in the garage. Lol
    LOL!! Yes it was. Bummer that Jeep no longer uses Delphi boxes. That way, we could have just used the spare sector shaft that I always carry with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGiant View Post
    really cool! I like those "fixes" a lot
    Glad you liked it

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    LOL!! Yes it was. Bummer that Jeep no longer uses Delphi boxes. That way, we could have just used the spare sector shaft that I always carry with me.

Glad you liked it
    One of the boxes that I have is a Delphi. It will get swapped into my jeep eventually.

Nothing but a Thing doubletapdaddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    One of the boxes that I have is a Delphi. It will get swapped into my jeep eventually.

When you break your non-Delphi. Lol!