Sahara. Because we don't all have Rubicons.

Quick question, i am looking at the same model, which i test drove and loved it, expect the steering seemed lose on center, particularly going around turns. Every notice that on yours, or was it a one off thing on the one i test drove...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

pretty much all jeeps have a little dead spot in the middle of center and can feel a bit loose compared to a “real” suv. You adjust to it after a bit and don’t think about it. My JL is much better than my jk was but it’s still there.

Thanks for the detailed feedback on making the switch from your Grand Cherokee to the JL. This helps, alot. I got out during lunch today and drove two other JL and not only was the steering spot on both, but what you described lined up with my observations. Now the only challenge is picking an engine. The turbo 4 i drove had more power early on 0-30, but the V6 really kicks in from 30-60. Net net both could work. All things being equal, i would lean towards the 4, but it is a new engine, with funky battery system and it cost more, so i am not sure, thoughts from anyone on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

i went with the 6 without hesitation. The 4 requires 93 octane gas so while it gets better mileage, it also costs more to gas up. It’s probably a push in the end.

13_gecko_rubi

Just my 2c having spent a ton of time in both, while the 2L does get better fuel economy slightly it's really more the performance engine of the two. If you are making the choice between the two on fuel economy labels alone unless you drive mainly in town where the etorque will add a lot of benefit fe wise it will be a tough call. But remember forced induction engines in real world tend to get closer to or better than label vs naturally aspirated engines.

Sent via....

4wd

Just my 2c having spent a ton of time in both, while the 2L does get better fuel economy slightly it's really more the performance engine of the two. If you are making the choice between the two on fuel economy labels alone unless you drive mainly in town where the etorque will add a lot of benefit fe wise it will be a tough call. But remember forced induction engines in real world tend to get closer to or better than label vs naturally aspirated engines.

Sent via....
I drove both the other day and like both, but you are spot on in terms of you comments. I am comfortable with getting a turbo charged 4 cylinder, my worry bead is the etorque system. More batteries, cooling/heating lines, etc. In short more complex. What are you thoughts on this piece of the over all package?

13_gecko_rubi

I drove both the other day and like both, but you are spot on in terms of you comments. I am comfortable with getting a turbo charged 4 cylinder, my worry bead is the etorque system. More batteries, cooling/heating lines, etc. In short more complex. What are you thoughts on this piece of the over all package?

It is new for sure and I can see that reservation. Me personally am fine with it.any will want to wait til it's proven I'm sure. But if was never anything new we'd all be riding horses still lol

Sent via....

4wd

It is new for sure and I can see that reservation. Me personally am fine with it.any will want to wait til it's proven I'm sure. But if was never anything new we'd all be riding horses still lol

Sent via....
Fair point, maybe it is time to untether the stallion in the backyard. . .

13_gecko_rubi

Fair point, maybe it is time to untether the stallion in the backyard. . .

Lol. Like I said I get it. It's a big investment and new things can be a risk. All I can say is I've beat the piss out of them and never had an issue. Some of the things I tried in Moab last year in a stock one which involved a lot of "testing" the skid plates for the etorque batteries and such are much more than most people would ever do. End of the day it's really what makes you comfortable. Both engines perform great with the 8 speed!

Sent via....

4wd

@13_gecko_rubi thanks for the additional insight. That was one of my concerns as you know the 48V battery, sits low underneath, but protected by metal. Unlike a truck who's shocks hang way to low and are unprotected. I am a skid plate person, i like my armor. I will keep you posted what i get, thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Bodhiavo

Yeah, switching from the grand Cherokee to the wrangler was so easy. In fact, I thought we would mostly be driving the grand Cherokee as a family, but we find ourselves more often in the wrangler! Maybe it’s been the nice weather and all, but my wife really likes it too. I think the steering is fairly sharp for a truck, but nowhere near as sharp as my previous Mini or 4 series. However, I will say the grand Cherokee’s curb turn radius is way better and makes parking in our garage a lot easier than the wrangler. All in all, I can’t believe how much I love the wrangler, and can’t believe I didn’t get one sooner, as I feel like I’ve driven it my whole life. Perfect fit for me and the family, and I’m sure will stay that way for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

2021 Sahara steel bumpers needed

I have a Sahara, mainly because of this forum. I don’t do much off roading, if anything I’ll be on some sand, and wanted a convertible, but the wife insisted on 4 doors. I came to the wrangler from a fully loaded Grand Cherokee, which my wife now drives, so I still wanted a slightly more upscale interior, and I love the rubbing boards it cane with. I do plan on switching to steel bumpers, and maybe adding some more lights. I had a Mini Cooper once and it had rally lights, and I’ve always loved the look. Will post pics when I’ve gone through the mods. Only thing so far is coyote mirrors for when the doors are off :)

I am looking at steel bumpers now. What did you go with? I am not a serious off roader but like the idea of the upgrade because I am a road warrior and accidents happen...

tschultz1185

Looking for wheels and tires.

Any recommendations for backspacing and offset?

Considering 33x12.5x17
Or 295/70R17

Still stock 255/70R18

Just did a suspension lift 4 days ago so I am about 2.5" higher at the fender after it settled in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Gtony12

Considering 33x12.5x17
Or 295/70R17

Still stock 255/70R18

Just did a suspension lift 4 days ago so I am about 2.5" higher at the fender after it settled in.

I am running 315/70r17 close to 34.8” and wheel I believe are 4.5 or 4.75 back spacing. So far no rubbing. On a 3” Rancho lift.

JTCO

Meme King
Trying to continue using my stock carrier. From what I have read and measured I need to stay under 34". And 85lbs max

We have a sport and are running 315/70R17. The spare tire barely rubs when shutting the tailgate. Not even noticable. No lift. Backspacing is 4.5 or 4.75. I think if you go smaller than 315s, it may look goofy with it lifted.

DSC08648.jpg

Last edited:
Considering 33x12.5x17
Or 295/70R17
Still stock 255/70R18

I had a Sahara with 18s. I ran BFGoodrich KM3s at 275/70/r18 totally stock and LOVED them... You will never be stuck and no rubbing. At full wheel turn lock it looked like I had .4->.5 inches before the inside of the tire rubbed on the steering. You'd probably be fine to go up to the newer 285/70/r18 size they offer with a lil rubbin'

tschultz1185

I had a Sahara with 18s. I ran BFGoodrich KM3s at 275/70/r18 totally stock and LOVED them... You will never be stuck and no rubbing. At full wheel turn lock it looked like I had .4->.5 inches before the inside of the tire rubbed on the steering. You'd probably be fine to go up to the newer 285/70/r18 size they offer with a lil rubbin'
Well, I have a 2.5" lift. I just found a deal on 17x9 wheels with a -12 offset. I am looking at 305/70R17 tires to go with them. I have asked enough questions and read enough to know now that my biggest concern is the stock tire carrier. I would like to not need the added cost of reinforcement. The weight isn't going to increase too much and I know people running 35s with no issues. What are your experiences?