Extend the stock rear Camera shaft?

JL5009

Ok, after installing my new wheels on my JL with it's new back spacing, I have seemed to have lost some of the lower portion of the camera view. So an idea would be to fabricate a new camera centre shaft or see if I could modify the stock center camera shaft, as i don't see why I couldn't.

The idea that came to mind would be to cut the existing center shaft at the start point and extend it by 2 inches, that would gain back the lost lower portion vision. As I would like to keep the stock camera shaft instead of removing it completely and installing a bracket.

Now I just need to remove the rear tire carier and think of ideas and will update once done.

Only in a Jeep will your truly feel the freedom in any trail..

JL5009

Example of the idea as best as I can show it for now..

Screenshot_20180901-222650_Gallery.jpeg

BillArnett

Good idea. But I can foresee a couple of problems. First, there may not be enough slack in the camera cable. It's probably OK but I would check before cutting :) Second, the connector on the back of the back of the camera is kind of big; make sure to choose an extension tube that's big enough. Or maybe cut a slit in it for the wire to pass thru? Splicing coax is a PITA so that's out. The connector on the other end is smaller so you might be able to remove the whole wire and thread it thru from the other end. That's not too hard; just pop off the trim on the inside of the tailgate.

JL5009

Good idea. But I can foresee a couple of problems. First, there may not be enough slack in the camera cable. It's probably OK but I would check before cutting :) Second, the connector on the back of the back of the camera is kind of big; make sure to choose an extension tube that's big enough. Or maybe cut a slit in it for the wire to pass thru? Splicing coax is a PITA so that's out. The connector on the other end is smaller so you might be able to remove the whole wire and thread it thru from the other end. That's not too hard; just pop off the trim on the inside of the tailgate.
I agree, I wont be cutting anything until I do all measurements and Make sure it doable [emoji23]