2018 JLUR Build

bsofley

Hello Everyone.

I picked up a 2018 JLU Rubicon from the dealer on 8/18 and have big plans for it (as the budget allows). I traded in a f250 That was worth a bit more so I was lucky to actually get money back from the dealer (It was my salesmans first time this has happened). I also got the dealer to throw in the OEM remote start kit for it as well.

EAAF469E-F915-425A-9C93-39CFBCBB72F0.jpg

I decided to go with a more base model rubicon as I didnt want leather, heated seats, blis etc. The only thing it didnt have that I would have liked is the infotainment system and the LED lighting group (this will be fixed as soon as more aftermarket options are available).

The day after I purchased it I couldn't resist taking a Ride to the mountains to test out the lockers and sway bar disconnects (My first rubicon but not my first wrangler by far). These were very very mild trails but there were a few muddy spots that would have been difficult without the lockers.

IMG_0131.jpgIMG_0123.jpg

On Monday I decided that the 33s were just too small so I placed an order for some 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pros, wheel spacers and the Rancho 2" Lift, and the JL tazer module (Until I can decide which long arm kit and bead locks I want to go with).

As all my Windows are darkly tinted I had to get the JL done too. I went with 5% on all windows and 30% on the windsheild. It definitely turned out well and looks very dark from the outside but is not that bad at night.

IMG_0144.jpg

As I often have a good bit of free time at work behind a computer and a check from the dealer burning a hole in my pocket I couldnt resist but to order some more goodies. I have A DV8 Stubby bumper on the way, LED Headlight bulbs, and the 8.5" Uconnect screen on the way. From the forums this looks to be a direct plug and play swap and I plan on doing a video on this when I do it.

I am waiting to order LOD rock sliders until I know for sure that I dont need to regear for the 37s.

Short term goals:

LED upgraded replacement lighting when available, Figure out how to make the dome lighting brighter (It annoys me when you open the door you can barley see anything at night without turning the map lights on), Run full on board air with dual compressors and tank, LOD sliders, Underbelly skids, Spare tire relocation and reinforcement, High lift jack and mount, Winch, DV8 fender liners, CB radio with antenna, Rock lighting, Upgrading suspension components etc.

Long term goals:
In time I hope to do a one ton axle swap, 3.5" lift, remove the bottom section of the fenders, put 42s on it, RIPP supercharger

Most of my parts will be here this weekend and I will update with pictures.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Can't wait to see this thing come together.

Regarding re-gearing, you will NOT need it to run 37's. Also, before you waste your money on a supercharger, try driving your Jeep with a higher gear ratio first. Dynatrac's CODE 1 is running 42's and the 8-speed auto seems to give it plenty of power.

bsofley

Awesome! Can't wait to see this thing come together.

Regarding re-gearing, you will NOT need it to run 37's. Also, before you waste your money on a supercharger, try driving your Jeep with a higher gear ratio first. Dynatrac's CODE 1 is running 42's and the 8-speed auto seems to give it plenty of power.

Thats what I have been hearing. Im very impressed with the power of these with the 8 speed. As this is not my daily driver I would only do it if it searched for the right gear alot. I live in a very hilly area but i will find out for sure tomorrow.

The supercharger would be one of the last things I would do and is just on the wish list for now.

Also thanks for the videos they are super helpful in deciding between different parts. Thats the reason I went with the rancho lift. I eventually plan to go to a evo Coilover set up but that is down the road a bit as they do not come cheap.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thats what I have been hearing. Im very impressed with the power of these with the 8 speed. As this is not my daily driver I would only do it if it searched for the right gear alot. I live in a very hilly area but i will find out for sure tomorrow.

The supercharger would be one of the last things I would do and is just on the wish list for now.

Also thanks for the videos they are super helpful in deciding between different parts. Thats the reason I went with the rancho lift. I eventually plan to go to a evo Coilover set up but that is down the road a bit as they do not come cheap.

I live at the base of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and can tell you that superchargers are a waste of money. On the trail, they're a joke being that all your power comes in at all the wrong times. There's a reason why shops like Motech have tons of them sitting all over the place. If you want real power, you should wish for a V8.

bsofley

37s are on

Got the 37x13.50 cooper stt pros mounted. They surprisingly don’t rub bad at all with no wheel spacers or lift

Attachments

• E8FA2385-334D-4A34-8C96-B7D2C24D9E6E.jpg
    E8FA2385-334D-4A34-8C96-B7D2C24D9E6E.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 241

aug0211

Got the 37x13.50 cooper stt pros mounted. They surprisingly don’t rub bad at all with no wheel spacers or lift

Have you been off road yet with this setup?

I’m also running 37x1350s (Ridge Grappler) and no lift. No rubbing on road but I’m certain that off road I’d have issues.

Also, may I ask what PSI you’re running? I’m at 25 with great ride comfort and no float - truly not far from stock (no perceived difference to me).

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

bsofley

Stage 1 build is complete

After two weeks or so of working (and some light wheeling, Beasley Knob and Tray Mountain) stage 1 of my build is done. I swapped my 7" screen out for an 8.4" Uconnect. That swap was 100% plug and play.

I added a DV8 bumper and Warn 12k Winch, 2" rancho lift, Spare tire riser, led headlights, OEM remote start kit, got some additional recovery gear (tree saver, shackles, and snatch block). I added a fire stick CB antenna and have a Remote Mount CB radio on the way.

I also built a hoist next to my driveway to remove the hard top as my jeep wont fit in my undersized garage. I also will be adding a rear bumper/tire carrier once more come out as well as a high lift jack and mount.

Once some good aftermarket LED headlights, tail lights, and turn signals come out I will be upgrading these.
IMG_0230.jpgIMG_0253.jpgIMG_E0254.jpgIMG_0260.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Looking good! Love that shot on the rock in the water. I've got a friend that's looking to swap his 7 for an 8.4. Where did you source yours from?

bsofley

Looking good! Love that shot on the rock in the water. I've got a friend that's looking to swap his 7 for an 8.4. Where did you source yours from?

I got it off ebay. It was like $900 and the bezel was another 30. From the dealer it would have been close to $1500

aug0211

Thanks!

Is that the DV8 FS-13? I was considering the 15 but have read too many reviews saying the holes do not line up for a JL and that install is a PITA with drilling required as a result. Curious about your experience.

Also, what size bump stops are running with the 2” lift and 37x13.50s?

bsofley

Thanks!

Is that the DV8 FS-13? I was considering the 15 but have read too many reviews saying the holes do not line up for a JL and that install is a PITA with drilling required as a result. Curious about your experience.

Also, what size bump stops are running with the 2” lift and 37x13.50s?

Its the FS-11. The website I got it from said it would work on the JL but I had to make some spacers in order for it to bolt up and not hit the grill.

drhcobra

After two weeks or so of working (and some light wheeling, Beasley Knob and Tray Mountain) stage 1 of my build is done. I swapped my 7" screen out for an 8.4" Uconnect. That swap was 100% plug and play.

I added a DV8 bumper and Warn 12k Winch, 2" rancho lift, Spare tire riser, led headlights, OEM remote start kit, got some additional recovery gear (tree saver, shackles, and snatch block). I added a fire stick CB antenna and have a Remote Mount CB radio on the way.

I also built a hoist next to my driveway to remove the hard top as my jeep wont fit in my undersized garage. I also will be adding a rear bumper/tire carrier once more come out as well as a high lift jack and mount.

Once some good aftermarket LED headlights, tail lights, and turn signals come out I will be upgrading these.
View attachment 5206View attachment 5207View attachment 5208View attachment 5209

I was planning to do something similar but with 35's on stock rims so I didn't have to worry about rubbing at all, but I like the look of your rig. How are you doing with the 37'soff-road?

bsofley

Trail Damage Update

Ive been on three wheeling trips so far, twice to beasley knob and once to gultches this past Saturday. Gulches definitely left a few marks on the jeep and showed me what I need to upgrade next. First the factory sliders have got to go. They did their job but Im going with LOD sliders to keep rocks further from my doors. I also am planning on getting new underbelly skids as the factory ones like to get hung up on everything. I need a good set of bead-locks too as the factory wheels are starting to get some rock rash and I want to be able to air down more than I have been. I also either bent my drag link or just knocked it out of adjustment. It took a decent hit which made me readjust it to get the steering wheel back straight.

The jeep still did an amazing job and made it up everything I tried including the triple black diamond trails. I only had to pull my winch line once to keep from smashing my fender and door into a hill side. Unfortunately I didnt get and pictures going over the tough stuff but here are some from the weekend. IMG_0149.jpgIMG_0143.jpgIMG_0150.jpgIMG_0161.JPGIMG_0168.JPGIMG_0154.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome pics, looks like you had a ton of fun! LoD rocker guards are definitely something you should be getting next :yup: