JL JOURNAL : LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders HOW TO INSTALLATION

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As most of you know, Cindy and I bought our Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited as a Rubicon model and that means it came with a set of factory rocker guards. And, while these rocker guards do a pretty good job for what they are, they do have their limitations. The biggest problem they have is that they're just mounted to the pinch seam and over time and with enough big hits, they tend to rotate up and make contact with the body. In our case, they've hit hard enough to put visible dents in our rocker panels. Another problem with them is the fact that they don't extend out at all and that can leave you exposed to damage from taller rocks that are jutting out, trees you might need to pivot around or other taller obstacles. It is for these reasons that we decided to ditch the factory rocker guards and install a set of LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders.

In addition to being super beefy, the biggest reason why we love the LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders is that they're mounted to the most solid point of the JL Wrangler and that would be the frame. We also love the fact that they provide nice stand-offs that not only put distance between the body of our JL and obstacles on the trail but they also serve as functional steps. Of course, it's hard not to like a product that's 100% bolt on and in this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see just how easy they are to install. We hope you enjoy it and we'd love to know what you think about them.

To see more shots of what the LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders look like installed, simply click on the following link:
LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders Installed Photos

And, to see photos of what the pinch seam looks like blacked out, click on this link:
BLACKED OUT JL Wrangler Pinch Seam Photos

Tools You May Want
TEKTON 24340 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench
Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 FUEL 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench
TEKTON 1/2-Inch Drive Deep Impact Socket Set - Metric
Milwaukee 2457-21 3/8-in Cordless M12 Lithium-Ion Ratchet Kit

:cool:

BillArnett

Great video as usual! And just in time: my LoD sliders are due here on Friday. Thanks for the tip about using an angle driver to drill that last hole!

(I'm sure jealous of your six stall garage!)

LauraRose

I really like the way you & Cindy edited this video with the sound effects, music & short clip prior to the intro! I'm not sure whether I'm a fan of the abbreviated intro tho (not that you asked, lol)... oh yeah, sharp sliders too!

Laura Rose from PA

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video as usual! And just in time: my LoD sliders are due here on Friday. Thanks for the tip about using an angle driver to drill that last hole!

(I'm sure jealous of your six stall garage!)

I should point out that if you take some time and measure things out, you could just as easily come at the last hole from the inside of the frame rail. It just sucks drilling that much with all the screaming hot metal filings dropping on you. :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the way you & Cindy edited this video with the sound effects, music & short clip prior to the intro! I'm not sure whether I'm a fan of the abbreviated intro tho (not that you asked, lol)... oh yeah, sharp sliders too!

Laura Rose from PA

LOL! It's all good. We're just trying different things to help keep it interesting for us. Glad you liked most of what you were seeing :cool:

RMC2

I loved the karate sound effects (and the shorter intro).

You showed some good tips to make it easier to install these. Great job.

Now: LOD Signature, LOD Crusader, or EVO rock sliders. Hmmm. These look great.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I loved the karate sound effects (and the shorter intro).

You showed some good tips to make it easier to install these. Great job.

Now: LOD Signature, LOD Crusader, or EVO rock sliders. Hmmm. These look great.

Glad you had fun watching the video. As far as choices go, better to have too many than none at all :yup:

Nice. Seems way easier than the JK bolt-on install.

I thought so. I literally could do the whole thing in about 40 minutes or less.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Definitely a great video as usual. Cuts, editing and sound design continue to evolve in a very positive way. Your videos have always had great production value, but with the changes I wonder... have you or Carson Cindy taken any recent classes in post-production/editing? Either way, keep up the good work. It's hard to believe it's only been what... 10 years since your first video?

Also, the three pieces of plywood made me nervous. I kept thinking of this guy... Lol.

349872093.jpg

Mostly because I know that if I don't come out bleeding and scraped, the project probably wasn't worth doing in the first place. In the end it seemed you paid your Penance with searing shrapnel.:crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, did you tape the pinch seams after the slider was installed?

Unfortunately, I did. I would have preferred to do it before the install but we wanted to show it done as is. While it can be done with the sliders in place, it's MUCH easier to do with them off. I ended up loosening all the bolts and let the sliders hang to apply the vinyl.

Great editing and filming, and super helpful. Thanks guys!

Thank you and we're glad to hear it :)

I Like the LOD sliders a lot. Ill have to get Kim a set for her JL. Thank you for the video

I think the two of you will really like them. Glad the video was helpful to you.

Four Flusher

In your video during the install your pinch seams weren't taped black, then at the end they're taped? Taped after? Stupid question but I'm curious.