Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auxiliary Switches - Adding A Common Underhood Ground

Caught the Bug
    For those reading that want to know more about the Aux wires:

#5 and 6 are only found in the passenger foot well.
    12v source wires.jpeg

Kinda off topic, but not completely.

So I've found the Aux switch wire bundle under the dash (passenger side foot well). Is the bundle you pointed out the same thing, but mounted in the engine compartment for exterior installs? Or is the bundle you pointed out for grounding? It looks like you used the bundle to feed the lights, and the black wire as the ground (from lights to lug), but wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing it wrong.

Also, thanks for the tip on the lug. I've always hated using spades, they just seem cheap to me. Guess I'll be using lugs from now on, I had no idea H.D. carried those.
    Last edited by Shots; 08-20-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    "Can we... can we all get along? Can we... can we get along?"
    ______________________________________ - Rodney King

Nothing but a Thing doubletapdaddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shots View Post
    Kinda off topic, but not completely.

So I've found the Aux switch wire bundle under the dash (passenger side foot well). Is the bundle you pointed out the same thing, but mounted in the engine compartment for exterior installs? Or is the bundle you pointed out for grounding? It looks like you used the bundle to feed the lights, and the black wire as the ground (from lights to lug), but wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing it wrong.
    Yes there is a bundle in the passenger footwell for interior accessories and a bundle next to the battery for exterior accessories. I used the orange wire next to the battery for switch 3, and used the lug for the ground coming from the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Shots View Post
    Also, thanks for the tip on the lug. I've always hated using spades, they just seem cheap to me. Guess I'll be using lugs from now on, I had no idea H.D. carried those.
    I had no idea about the lugs either. I found it when I was shopping for electrical spades. Lol.

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    The easiest way to add common grounds (so that you don't have 1001 wires going to your battery is to use car stereo terminals. You can buy a section of say 8 or 4 gauge wire, and with that to a good solid clean ground somewhere on the chassis, and run the other end to a terminal that you position where you need it....then all your accessories can be ground at the new terminal. When I get my JL, there are certain things I want on switches but in the rear, so I will run a power wire from the battery to the rear, which will have a distribution block, so I can safely power all my accessories, like a fridge, cooking lights, etc, without having to run them all all the way to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    Yes there is a bundle in the passenger footwell for interior accessories and a bundle next to the battery for exterior accessories. I used the orange wire next to the battery for switch 3, and used the lug for the ground coming from the lights...
    Outstanding, thanks for the response/clarification.
    "Can we... can we all get along? Can we... can we get along?"
    ______________________________________ - Rodney King

Been Around the Block
    Great information Iíve been wanting to know. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thank you to all involved. Makes my work very easy. I hope to contribute like this some day.
    Mark C.
    2018 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver

5 months later.... thanks for the tip on grounding also. Will have to move mine as I'm using 3 different light locations on my JL

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Are you guys finding the AUX switches to be worth the money or should I just order my JL without this package?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast