WiscoHR’s JL Adventures

WiscoHR

Glad you found it. Shock shouldn't cause death wobble, but I bet it was bouncing pretty good if one side was loose while the other was tight. Hopefully that johnny joint rebuild will fix it completely.

I’m think the play in the shock was getting the extra vibrations started. Hopefully once I get the new joint in it will be gone. Right now it seems to be doing it less often and it’s only a slight shake in the steering.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

LauraRose

Think I found the culprit, drivers side lower shock bolt was loose. Got that tightened back up and it’s a lot better than it was. Next step, I’m going to order a rebuild kit for the Johnny joint that has some play which happens to be the one right next to the shock.

Thinking the shock being loose damaged the joint. But right now it’s driving about 90% better than it was.

Feel like an idiot because that was the last thing I checked.

Hope you get it back to 100%... be safe!

Laura Rose from PA

WiscoHR

So rebuild kit for the Johnny joint will be here Monday. Also decided to order a new track bar. Hopefully that cures the problem. Really want to get out in some dirt soon but don’t want to take any longer road trips then I have to until the shaking goes away.

JTCO

Meme King
Need to get under the JL and sort out the steering but at 25 degrees in WI right now. I’m not that motivated.

Get some metallic bubble wrap at Home Depot or Lowes. I use one of those in the garage or outside as a work mat all the time for laying on. It helps a ton, it cushions and insulates. It's only 1/4" thick but it really works well against the cold ground.

61Z9RhjbNoL._SX466_.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
I feel your frustration. I went through this with my WJ. It was so bad that my wife wouldn't drive it. I installed a second stabilizer which I thought fixed it but actually hid it. Ultimately, it ended up being a seized rusted lower track bar bolt that wouldn't fully torque. Took a long time to find it. Honestly with the already known jl weld issues, carefully inspect for cracked welds, loose bolts, etc. There has to be something loose for the shaking to occur. Core 4x4 makes a good product but this shaking shouldn't be occurring regardless.

WiscoHR

Finally made an appointment to get my track bar welds photographed. They are telling me they need it for 2 days to do it. So while it’s there, they are also going to look at the 8.4” display randomly resetting, what is causing the last bit of bump steer I can’t get rid of, and change the oil. So hopefully when I drop it off next Tuesday they will be able to give me some answers of what is going on.

LauraRose

Finally made an appointment to get my track bar welds photographed. They are telling me they need it for 2 days to do it. So while it’s there, they are also going to look at the 8.4” display randomly resetting, what is causing the last bit of bump steer I can’t get rid of, and change the oil. So hopefully when I drop it off next Tuesday they will be able to give me some answers of what is going on.

It sounds like you have a lot going on with your JL. I hope your dealer can get it all taken care of for you & that they're giving you a COMPARABLE loaner - dealer's always try to give a turd for a loaner!

For the last 2 days I haven't been able to use the GPS on mine, it just says "searching for satellite". Thank goodness I've been around home and have not been traveling, or I could really be up the creek.

Even with the few glitches i've had, I love my JLUR.

Good luck!!

Laura Rose from PA