Hard Top Headliner

Firejeep

Has anyone installed either the Mopar hard top headliners or another brand? Just wondering if it makes a difference. Living in the desert makes for a hot interior that takes forever for the AC to catch up.

NFRs2000NYC

I have hothead headliners in my JK and like them. However, the price of them has since gone up, but they are also far better than the JK ones of yesterday.

BillArnett

I have the Mopar ones installed in the factory. I suppose they help a bit with both noise and heat but I don’t have anything to directly compare against. If they help, it’s not much. My JL is still very hot in the sun.

aug0211

I added hotheads. Honestly, even if just for looks alone, I’d do it again.

With that said, my wife and I think we notice an improvement in sound - but not enough for either of us to say with certainty that it’s not placebo effect :)

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Firejeep

Thanks for the responses. Hothead looks promising, even though it a bit more $. I know nothing is going to keep it cool, it’s just that radiant heat that is killing me. A normal vehicle with a headliner seems to cool a little faster and hold that cool in. This will be a purchase before next summer.

Resqnu

FYI, My 2018 JLUR hard top came with the Mopar headliner. I’ve only had my new JL for a week, but it’s been in the mid 90’s all week here. My previous Jeep was a 2017 JKUR HR hard top. In my opinion, the Mopar headliner keeps the radiant heat off of you head better than without. We were riding around for a few hours yesterday and really noticed that there was literally to radiant heat on our heads and the headliner was cool to the touch. We were riding with the a/c on and the windows down. Also, the Mopar headliner is on the top of the hard top as well as around the side windows and rear window.

carbonalpine

I made my own headliner for my jku and I will do the same for the jlu. Hotheads is way too expensive and my buddy has it on his jkur. I used a temp gun and my panels were cooler than his inside. There’s tons of write ups on DIY, it’s actually very fun and you can choose any fabric you want. I spent maybe $70 and it helped a ton! If anyone needs links to what I used I’ll try and sum that up and pm you back.

Bongoray

I just recently added the mopar headliner to my hard top. I drove a stretch of highway and recorded video driving prior to installing the headliner then I installed it and took video down the same stretch of road about an hour later. There was a noticeable difference in sound. I'm planning on running them through my video editing software and comparing the sound levels. I can't comment on the heat however as the weather has gotten much cooler here in NY.

Ray

Shots

I added hotheads. Honestly, even if just for looks alone, I’d do it again.

With that said, my wife and I think we notice an improvement in sound - but not enough for either of us to say with certainty that it’s not placebo effect :)
That's actually very helpful. I'm not so much concerned about the heat (it doesn't get that hot in Ohio), but rather the sound deadening. This is particularly important with rain, since that's a bigger issue for me than wind noise. I don't drive that fast to generate much wind noise, and when I do it's for very short stretches.
However, like you, I was considering it for the finished look it gives to the interior. So if the audible results are minimal, and temperature isn't a main concern for me, I think I should keep the cost down. Maybe I'll try a DIY option.

I made my own headliner for my jku and I will do the same for the jlu.... ....If anyone needs links to what I used I’ll try and sum that up and pm you back.
I'm interested. Either a reply in the thread, make a how to thread and post a link, or PM is fine. I'm just exploring my options right now.

I just recently added the mopar headliner to my hard top. I drove a stretch of highway and recorded video driving prior to installing the headliner then I installed it and took video down the same stretch of road about an hour later. There was a noticeable difference in sound. I'm planning on running them through my video editing software and comparing the sound levels....
I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing what you come up with.

Hgrace

I went with the gray Hotheads in my silver JL. For all 3 reasons. Looks. Sound. Insulation. Not only will it prevent some solar penetration but more so retain cooling and heating within the cab.
No if only they can get my new axle in.

Sent from my SM-G935P using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BradyWhiteJLU

I just recently added the mopar headliner to my hard top. I drove a stretch of highway and recorded video driving prior to installing the headliner then I installed it and took video down the same stretch of road about an hour later. There was a noticeable difference in sound. I'm planning on running them through my video editing software and comparing the sound levels. I can't comment on the heat however as the weather has gotten much cooler here in NY.

Ray

Did you ever check those sound levels?

I'm definitely interested in how the performance or Mopar vs. Hothead vs. DIY. Would make for an interesting science experiment for a kid. Maybe a little pricey haha

I had an idea to drill small holes or remove existing hardware and use expanding foam insulation to fill the tops... its perminent but also light weight and i imagine it would out perform headliners for sound and temp.

Danny

Has anyone installed either the Mopar hard top headliners or another brand? Just wondering if it makes a difference. Living in the desert makes for a hot interior that takes forever for the AC to catch up.
I made my pattern, traced Dynamat, traced 1/2 Dynaliner and assembled. Way better the mopar headliner. I use Dynamat, Dynaliner, and Dynapad throughout my other vehicles. Im sure everyone knows good it works. I was testing to see if I didn't have to mess with the JL, but nope. It needs it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

HumbleJeep42

My previous 2016 JKUR and my new 2019 JLUR came with the factory Mopar headliners installed. I do not have a comparison, but I like them.
I also got a white Jeep with a white painted hardtop to cut down on heat in the summer.