Lets see those jl window cracks / chips

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
I'm sure I am not the first one. So lets see those window chips / cracks . Mine was on the seventh day of having it.
CRACKED WINDOW.jpg
It SUCKS I know but lets see the who has the worst luck / quickest chip

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, the Wranglers have always been prone to have windshields with cracks and chips in them. I've always gone through at least 1 a year and sometimes more and to the point where my glass guy knows me. So far, I've been lucky on my JL in spite of racking up over 12,000 miles on it but I know that luck is running out. I know Dynatrac got a crack on their way home from the dealership and if I recall, so did doubletapdaddy.

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
wow. on the way home that really sucks. I thought a week was bad. I went two years in the JK before first chip. lol

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
My first one came on the way home with 120 on the odo. Then I got two more at the same time on the way out for breakfast with my daughter last week. A total of 3 so far with 1200 on the odo. :crazyeyes:

Turns out it was a break-fest... [insert rimshot]

Last edited:

aug0211

I had protective film professionally applied to the exterior of my windshield to protect against chips and cracks.

I’ve always been surprised that these products aren’t more popular in the Wrangler world. I know Tesla and BMW, etc. guys use the protect windshield films a lot.

Mine is a fresh application so it’ll take a few days to dry and cure but I’m optimistic that it’ll turn out well and give me some protection.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had protective film professionally applied to the exterior of my windshield to protect against chips and cracks.

I’ve always been surprised that these products aren’t more popular in the Wrangler world. I know Tesla and BMW, etc. guys use the protect windshield films a lot.

Mine is a fresh application so it’ll take a few days to dry and cure but I’m optimistic that it’ll turn out well and give me some protection.

If you don't mind me asking, what film did you go with and how much did it cost to have done?

aug0211

If you don't mind me asking, what film did you go with and how much did it cost to have done?

I don’t mind you asking at all - happy to share!

This is “ASWF” (American Standard Window Film). Cool to support an American company.

They just called it their windshield protection. I had them do full tints, as well - with ceramic infrared (“IRP”) tint. The heat rejection is incredible on the tint and the visual clarity is excellent!

I don’t like tint to be too dark - so I asked them to keep it moderate. In my opinion, they nailed it. The Jeep is much cooler inside now and sunglasses are now optional for me, even on a super sunny day like today. Great feeling knowing the windshield has a layer of protection on it, too!

This is 70% on the windshield, 70% on all rear windows and tailgate window, and 25% on the front windows, then of course their windshield protection, as well.

With their IRP ceramic film, the heat rejection is far greater than the “tint” percentage - it was something like 90% heat rejection all the way around.

I also just went through the carwash and had no issues with the windshield protector, just as they advertised.

I’d recommend calling around to find a local tint shop that carries ASWF films, and getting one of their IRP films and also the windshield protector. I’m loving it!

IMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.JPGIMG_0667.JPGIMG_0670.JPGIMG_0671.JPGIMG_0672.JPGIMG_0674.JPGIMG_0676.JPG

WiscoHR

Just got an email from Jeep advertising Mopar part number 68401325AA, Corning Gorilla Glass windshield. If it’s a Mopar part, too bad it wasn’t included with the Jeeps that we paid over $50K for.

Yeah got that email too. That part # is for the JK, nothing released for the JL yet. I looked into it because I was hoping I could get insurance to put one in if they were available. Either way with a $0 deductible on glass replacement I can’t complain. Except for the fact it’s going to take 2 weeks to get a windshield.