HOW TO: Keep your TAZER JL programmer connected and out of sight

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Some of my favorite and most frequently used features that are available on Z Automotive's Tazer JL programmer are start/stop kill, in motion navigation access (for my passenger to use) and on-demand backup camera activation by double tapping the audio mute button. Another feature that I initially thought would be useless, the light show, is actually pretty fun at times. The light show can be accessed using your fob while you are out of the vehicle. To take advantage of any of the aforementioned features, the Tazer JL programmer must be plugged into the OBD2 port. Rather than continuously connecting and disconnecting the programmer, I opted to keep it connected at all times. I did not, however, want to keep it in the stock OBD2 port location. I like to run doorless and wanted to keep the programmer out of sight, diminishing the potential for theft. I also wanted to avoid catching the programmer with my big klutzy legs and feet while entering and exiting the vehicle. To accomplish my needs I used a 1 foot OBD2 extension cable and a bit of Velcro to keep the programmer tucked up and under the kick panel.

Cable used -

iKKEGOL 1ft Feet 30cm/12" OBD II OBD2 16 Pin Male to Female Extension Cable

Tazer JL programmer and cable -

20180811_100158-1280x960.jpg

Velcro attached to backside of Tazer JL -

20180811_100205-1280x960.jpg

Extender cable attached to OBD2 port. What I like about this setup is that the cable exits on the left side, diminishing the potential for catching on your left foot. This may be particularly useful while using a clutch -

20180811_100340-1280x960.jpg

20180811_100509-1280x960.jpg

A couple of upskirt photos so you can see where I mounted the programmer on the backside of the kick panel -

20180812_145734.jpg

20180812_150610.jpg

I've been running the Tazer JL in this configuration without issues and can recommend the Tazer JL programmer by Z Automotive, as well as the extender cord adapter posted in the link above.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

I installed this same OBDll extender cable to use with my TazerJL about 6 weeks ago. Worked well. I did end up going with a different cable right after trying the original cable.

The extender cable, I am using now has a connector, that just plays better with the layout of the JL. The connector faces a different direction and the cord is not scrunched against the plastics. It's a 12" extender. A ribbon cable so you can direct it easier.

Consider using this extender:
https://amzn.to/2P6M5qS

Note: If you order from amazon, do use the sell "Mobile Computing Solutions" listed on the right of the amazon.com ad. That seller ships fast and will not say back ordered..

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the tip on the alternative cable. Although I didn't have any difficulty routing my existing cable, the ribbon cable that you posted could definitely be a viable substitute.

Last edited:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This is a great idea! I’m going to be getting the tazer shortly and being able to leave it installed is nice. It looks like you were able to leave it available to plug into for updates of the unit as well.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
This is a great idea! I’m going to be getting the tazer shortly and being able to leave it installed is nice. It looks like you were able to leave it available to plug into for updates of the unit as well.

Z Automotive now has a one-piece Tazer JL Mini that only uses the SGW module. The OBD2 port is not used with the Mini, thus you can skip the extender cable.

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King

Z Automotive now has a one-piece Tazer JL Mini that only uses the SGW module. The OBD2 port is not used with the Mini, thus you can skip the extender cable.

We used the tazer lite. Sounds like the same as the mini. Doesn't have as many features but does everything we need and it's not visible or accessible easily. We just leave it installed.

Here's a chart of which model has which controls:

Untitled.jpg

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
We used the tazer lite. Sounds like the same as the mini. Doesn't have as many features but does everything we need and it's not visible or accessible easily. We just leave it installed.

Here's a chart of which model has which controls:

View attachment 15765

The lite looks like the way to go. Small and compact and if the few extra feature are needed I can always upgrade it later for a few extra bucks. Thanks Doug

Jeeeep

i got the JL mini and it tucks up nicely out of sight :thumb:

Features were my reason -installed LED fogs and headlight bulbs they were also giving a free front cam with purchase.

Parksense, haven't figured that one out, I was hoping it would disable the "slam into park" mode because I just want to move the jeep a few feet with the door open and some damn system telling me I can't be trusted not to put in park before i get out of the Jeep :doh:

I just looked up ParkSense..not what i was thinking at all...bummer

Last edited: