Thread: HOW TO: Keep your TAZER JL programmer connected and out of sight

Cool HOW TO: Keep your TAZER JL programmer connected and out of sight

Some of my favorite and most frequently used features that are available on Z Automotive's Tazer JL programmer are start/stop kill, in motion navigation access (for my passenger to use) and on-demand backup camera activation by double tapping the audio mute button. Another feature that I initially thought would be useless, the light show, is actually pretty fun at times. The light show can be accessed using your fob while you are out of the vehicle. To take advantage of any of the aforementioned features, the Tazer JL programmer must be plugged into the OBD2 port. Rather than continuously connecting and disconnecting the programmer, I opted to keep it connected at all times. I did not, however, want to keep it in the stock OBD2 port location. I like to run doorless and wanted to keep the programmer out of sight, diminishing the potential for theft. I also wanted to avoid catching the programmer with my big klutzy legs and feet while entering and exiting the vehicle. To accomplish my needs I used a 1 foot OBD2 extension cable and a bit of Velcro to keep the programmer tucked up and under the kick panel.

Cable used -

iKKEGOL 1ft Feet 30cm/12" OBD II OBD2 16 Pin Male to Female Extension Cable

Tazer JL programmer and cable -

20180811_100158-1280x960.jpg

Velcro attached to backside of Tazer JL -

20180811_100205-1280x960.jpg

Extender cable attached to OBD2 port. What I like about this setup is that the cable exits on the left side, diminishing the potential for catching on your left foot. This may be particularly useful while using a clutch -

20180811_100340-1280x960.jpg

20180811_100509-1280x960.jpg

A couple of upskirt photos so you can see where I mounted the programmer on the backside of the kick panel -

20180812_145734.jpg

20180812_150610.jpg

I've been running the Tazer JL in this configuration without issues and can recommend the Tazer JL programmer by Z Automotive, as well as the extender cord adapter posted in the link above.
    Last edited by doubletapdaddy; 09-05-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Caught the Bug
    I installed this same OBDll extender cable to use with my TazerJL about 6 weeks ago. Worked well. I did end up going with a different cable right after trying the original cable.

The extender cable, I am using now has a connector, that just plays better with the layout of the JL. The connector faces a different direction and the cord is not scrunched against the plastics. It's a 12" extender. A ribbon cable so you can direct it easier.

Consider using this extender:
    https://amzn.to/2P6M5qS

Note: If you order from amazon, do use the sell "Mobile Computing Solutions" listed on the right of the amazon.com ad. That seller ships fast and will not say back ordered..
    Last edited by Rhinebeck01; 08-13-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks for the tip on the alternative cable. Although I didn't have any difficulty routing my existing cable, the ribbon cable that you posted could definitely be a viable substitute.
    Last edited by doubletapdaddy; 08-13-2018 at 05:47 AM.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    I missed this. Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app