The Movie Thread

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Polar (Netflix original film)
Many critics did not, and many people will not respond well to this movie, however both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed Polar. This movie is based on a series of graphic novels buy Victor Santos published by Dark Horse Comics. It's dark, pulpy, violent, gross, funny and engaging. Mads Mikkelsen does a superb job as Duncan Vizla/The Black Kaiser, while the cinematography is absolutely beautiful. I would love to have seen this on a 4K set.
B-

polar-came-from-the-cold-768x1125.jpg

polar-768x1139.jpg

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The Sisters Brothers
Finally got a chance to catch this movie. I'm not sure if I went in with low expectations or no expectations, but I certainly didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.
B-

sisters_brothers_ver8_xxlg-768x1097.jpg

sisters_brothers_xlg-768x1042.jpg

sisters_brothers_ver2_xxlg-768x1137.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Alita: Battle Angel
Saw this twice with my family. We all really enjoyed it, particularly my daughter and I. Definitely scratched my sci-fi itch.
A-

alita_battle_angel_xlg-768x1137.jpg

alita_battle_angel_ver16_xxlg-768x1138.jpg

alita_battle_angel_ver18_xxlg-768x1132.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Us
My wife and I were pretty stoked to see this movie. We really enjoyed Jordan Peele's Get Out, and we looked forward to his most recent offering. Unfortunately, we both thought that this movie was nothing but an overhyped steaming turd. At the end, you could hear the disappointment of a nearly sold-out audience.
D+

us_ver4_xxlg.jpg

us_ver3_xlg.jpg

us_ver5_xxlg.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Captain Marvel
Saw this preview night in XD and opening night in IMAX, both theaters were packed. My daughter has seen it more times, as she has been invited to all girl viewings. I really liked this movie. It's not at the top of the MCU, but it's still good. I think that it's poised to join the Billion-Dollar Film Club.
B-

captain_marvel_ver21_xxlg-768x1151.jpg

captain_marvel_ver20_xxlg-768x1151.jpg

captain_marvel_ver19_xxlg-768x1086.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Shazam!
A fun movie that, although does have it's darker moments, is much lighter DC fare that was enjoyable for our whole family. Audience reaction was excellent, with several laugh out loud moments. I like this better than DC's Wonder Woman, which I am allowed to say as my wife and daughter said it first. LOL. That being said, Nolan's The Dark Knight still reigns supreme for DC.
A-

shazam_ver6_xxlg-768x1138.jpg

shazam_ver2_xlg-768x1102.jpg

shazam_ver5_xxlg-768x1140.jpg