The Movie Thread

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
My family and I saw Pandas tonight. The 40-minute run time was just right. In, out and (thankfully) enjoyable. At first I was bummed that it was in 3D, as I generally dislike putting glasses over my glasses. That coupled with the fact that IMAX 3D uses antiquated linear polarization which requires you to keep your head perfectly straight, often shows more ghosting and is projected in 2K. RealD 3D on the other hand employs circular polarization, shows reduced ghosting and is native digital that is projected in either 2K or 4K. However, this movie had some of the cleanest 3D that I've ever seen. At one point I was actually fooled and thought that a gnat had flown in front of my face. In fact, all three of us swatted it at the same time. Lol. On average, the three of us gave Pandas a rating of 9.5/10.

MV5BMTg3NzY4NTI3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzc0MDc4NDM@._V1_-768x1138.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore. It is a Netflix exclusive. I really enjoyed this movie. Pretty quirky, which is definitely part of its appeal. 8.5/10

MV5BYmM5Zjg5ZWEtYmQwOS00NmFmLTgxYzktYTJkZmY3OGM4NDQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk4NjM5Nzc@._V1_-768x1137.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
1_77Tfb6c9vgKZZ6MPg7rlMw-768x1095.jpeg

Had to post another picture. Because Firebirds, Screaming For Vengeance, nunchucks and throwing stars.

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Saw Mission:Impossible Fallout tonight. Geez... this movie ramps up and doesn't let off. Pretty enjoyable. This movie's been out for 3 and 1/2 weeks, and my theater was still 3/4 full or better. 9/10

d32eb201fecce3df4bcbd59035d70830-768x1137.jpg

And for the sweaties that followed Stache-Gate (you know who you are), this one's for you...

nmq2tgefbre01-768x1139.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Caught an afternoon screening of Close Encounters of the Third Kind today. I originally saw it in 1977 when my mother took me. I don't think I knew what the heck was going on when I saw it as a kid. Now it's one of my favorite Spielberg films. This is one of my posters. The tickets in the lower left are from when my family saw it at the 40th anniversary showing last year.

20180822_180953-768x1024.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Just returned home from a screening of The Happytime Murders. This movie is really getting trashed by the critics, and maybe deservedly so. However, I thought it was pretty clever and enjoyed myself. The theater I was in was pretty boisterous, and we all had some laugh out loud moments.

The-Happytime-Murders-New-Film-Poster-4-768x1024.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Beginning today and through next week many IMAX theaters will be screening 2001: a Space Odyssey. This year is the 50th anniversary.

2001_70mm_1sht (1)-768x1138.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Also from 8/30/18 through 9/6/18 Marvel Studios and IMAX will team up for a super sweaty 10th anniversary Film Festival...

20180824_004333.jpg

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Saw The Meg today. Wife loved it, 11 year old thought it was "okay" (in all fairness Jaws is one of her favorite movies, that and White Christmas :crazyeyes:), me... well, I'll probably never watch it again.

EXPECTATION:

meg-1-768x1138.jpg

REALITY:

20180826_001539-768x1138.jpg

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Saw a morning IMAX screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I know this movie is not for everyone, but I adore this movie. Looking forward to the 4K UHDBD on October 30th. My buddies and I are going to catch another screening of it later this week. Anyone else plan on seeing this limited-time IMAX release?

2001aso-768x1124.jpg

yhPL1fO-768x1010.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Does anybody have a nice theater or two in their area? We have a couple of decent Cinemarks close to us, but there are 2 Alamo Drafthouses about 40 minutes away.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Well, it looks like I'm going to die on this hill alone, along with a couple of other threads I started. Lol! Anyway, I'll keep posting up on this thread as well as the others. I can always just read them myself when I feel lonely and full of self-pity. :D

My buddies and I found some time to go see a couple of movies tonight. Not a lot of content at the theater that I was chomping at the bit to see, but my one friend really, really wanted to see Crazy Rich Asians. I felt a little silly sitting in the theater with a bunch of dudes watching a rom-com while the rest of the theater was full of women, but I have to admit the movie did have its charm. 7/10

MV5BMTYxNDMyOTAxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg1ODYzNTM@._V1_-768x1138.jpg

Second movie up tonight was Searching. This is a movie where everything is experienced through monitors... mostly a home computer monitor, but some cell phone and some closed caption. Although not the first movie to do this, it still executed the premise quite well. I thought it was a good thriller, even if it was topped with a bit of cheese. 7/10

searching-movie-poster--768x1138.jpg

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Well, it looks like I'm going to die on this hill alone, along with a couple of other threads I started. Lol!

Lol. I don't watch much movies anymore. But some of my favorites are stupid humor. Like Dumb and Dumber, Old School, Happy Gilmore, etc.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
This is a movie thread, so I thought I'd mention the passing of Burt Reynolds today, aged 82 yrs. Back in the day this guy was such a badass. Deliverance, Smokey and the Bandit, The Longest Yard, Cannonball Run. Later on... Boogie Nights and The Last Movie Star. I'm sure I was way too young when I saw most of them. Lol. Although not delivered by Reynolds, I knew the line "Squeal like a pig" long before I knew what it meant. :eek:

5b917f873c236.image.jpg

IMG_20180906_181119.jpg

JP223/3USA

This is a movie thread, so I thought I'd mention the passing of Burt Reynolds today, aged 82 yrs. Back in the day this guy was such a badass. Deliverance, Smokey and the Bandit, The Longest Yard, Cannonball Run. Later on... Boogie Nights and The Last Movie Star. I'm sure I was way too young when I saw most of them. Lol. Although not delivered by Reynolds, I knew the line "Squeal like a pig" long before I knew what it meant. :eek:

View attachment 5217

View attachment 5219

It’s sad to see a movie legend pass. Today, I feel that today’s youth will never experience people like Reynalds. I’m not old but I see more than what’s on an iPhone and appreciate classics. I lift my Cpt. Morgan to you Reynalds and all of you who remember him.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
When I was a kid The Bandit was legendary. Myself and two of my friends had Pontiac T/As. Over the years I've had a few T/As... '73 455 SD, '75 400 (my very first car and my first bank loan when I was 16), '80 4.9 turbo, '02 5.7. It's crazy to think of the money some of those go for nowadays. :eek:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I hate to admit it but at the behest of my friends we all went to see The Nun tonight. :( My personal rating... SUCK/10. YMWV (your mileage won't vary)

MV5BMjM3NzQ5NDcxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzM4MTQ5NTM@._V1_-768x1138.jpg