The Movie Thread

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
We are thinking of going to see Gemini Man this weekend. Movie is shot entirely in 120fps. Wondering how that translates on the big screen?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

The only HFR movie that I've ever seen was Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey at 48 fps. I didn't like it. It was essentially motion smoothing for the Cinematic experience. Big screen soap opera effect, if you will. For those wondering, since 1927 the industry standard has been 24 fps.

Ang Lee shot Gemini Man in 120fps 4K 3D. The first and only other movie shot at 120fps 4K 3D was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (also by Ang Lee), which I did not see. I'd sure like to check out Gemini Man though, just to see how 120fps 4K 3D looks.

Unfortunately, there are no US theaters that are capable of screening 120fps 3D in 4K. There are 14 theaters in the US that can/will project 120fps 3D, however it can only be done in 2K.

AMC Aventura Mall 24 – Miami, FL
AMC Century City 15 – Los Angeles, CA
AMC Del Amo 18 – Los Angeles, CA
AMC Disney Springs 24 – Orlando, FL
AMC Elmwood Palace 20 – New Orleans, LA
AMC Flatiron Crossing 14 – Denver, CO
AMC Hawthorn 12 – Chicago, IL
AMC Lincoln Square 13 – New York, NY
AMC Metreon 16 – San Francisco, CA
AMC North Point 12 – Atlanta, GA
AMC River East 21 – Chicago, IL
AMC Town Square 18 – Las Vegas, NV
AMC White Marsh 16 – Baltimore, MD
AMC Willowbrook 24 – Houston, TX

gemini_man_xlg-768x1138.jpg

gemini_man_ver8_xlg-768x1280.jpg

gemini_man_ver6_xlg-768x1137.jpg

On a side note, James Cameron is said to be filming all four Avatar sequels in 120fps 4K 3D.

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Reviews are tearing the movie apart. Didn’t know that about the cinemas not capable of showing it in 120fps 4k.

Sometimes you just can't rely on the general consensus of professional reviewers. Film, and art as a whole, is so subjective that you've just got to experience it for yourself. I mean look at the differences in our two opinions on the movie Joker... polar opposites. Although I do take into account Rotten Tomatoes scores, I put more weight into individual reviewers that seem to share the same taste that I do. Cinemascore is a pretty good indicator of audience reaction to a movie.

dixonk

Sometimes you just can't rely on the general consensus of professional reviewers. Film, and art as a whole, is so subjective that you've just got to experience it for yourself. I mean look at the differences in our two opinions on the movie Joker... polar opposites. Although I do take into account Rotten Tomatoes scores, I put more weight into individual reviewers that seem to share the same taste that I do. Cinemascore is a pretty good indicator of audience reaction to a movie.

Don't get me wrong film critics are the last source I go to to determine if I want to go see a movie. I am not into the artsy fartsy "film noir" drama and dry style movies they tend to rave about. I like action packed entertainment with minimal CGI or animated nonsense. And I am a big horror genre fan and they always score horror movies very low.

dixonk

Zombieland 2: A+

The movie was awesome! How can you hate on any movie that opens to Master of Puppets? We went Thursday night to the first showing to a packed house. People were clapping when the credits started rolling.

JTCO

Meme King
Went and saw Ford vs Ferrari today. I thought it was pretty good. Definitely keeps your interest the whole time.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Although billed as a one-shot, I think real-time more aptly describes the nature of this film. I can honestly say that I was riveted from beginning to end. Also, it was strange leaving the theater, as most everybody did not talk at all, and those that did spoke in quiet reverence. I don't know what else to say except that it really is a wonder to behold and begs to be seen on the biggest screen available to you.
A

nineteen_seventeen_ver2_xlg-1024x1622.jpg

nineteen_seventeen_ver3_xlg-1024x768.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Although billed as a one-shot, I think real-time more aptly describes the nature of this film. I can honestly say that I was riveted from beginning to end. Also, it was strange leaving the theater, as most everybody did not talk at all, and those that did spoke in quiet reverence. I don't know what else to say except that it really is a wonder to behold and begs to be seen on the biggest screen available to you.
A

Welcome back.

JTCO

Meme King
Just went and saw Bad Boys For Life. Really good movie. Quite different than the other two, IMO.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Jojo Rabbit
A masterfully crafted movie from Taika Waititi that turns on a dime from comedy to dread, from tenderness to heartbreak. The Shoe Scene just about broke me. One of the best movies of 2019.
A

jojo_rabbit_xlg-768x1137.jpg

jojo_rabbit_ver2_xlg-768x1149.jpg