3rd brake light ideas!

BillEngland

I bought a few parts from the Mopar counter the other day and among them was the 3rd brake light relocation kit. This kit sounded good, moving the 3rd light to the front of the spare as I was soon to mount 37's. Only problem was the amount of work to take off the spare was annoying, unbolt the bracket, unbolt the light, unclip the light, feed the wire through the rim, tuck the wire out of the way. It also looked bad to me as it stuck out the back of the rim 5 inches. So I drilled the new bracket with the Jeep grill and drilled the tire mount, I think it's magnesium because it drilled like butter. Drilled a hole for the wires to be hidden and now it's behind the rim shinning through!
IMG_20180806_192519.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180806_192851.jpg
    IMG_20180806_192851.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20180806_192527.jpg
    IMG_20180806_192527.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20180806_192509.jpg
    IMG_20180806_192509.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 198

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Will you be using your stock wheels with the 37s?

Edit - nevermind, saw on another thread that you will be.

Last edited:

offcamber

Why move it? I kept it where it was with the 37's

untitled%20%2836%20of%2059%29-X3.jpg

GrayBeard

I bought a few parts from the Mopar counter the other day and among them was the 3rd brake light relocation kit. This kit sounded good, moving the 3rd light to the front of the spare as I was soon to mount 37's. Only problem was the amount of work to take off the spare was annoying, unbolt the bracket, unbolt the light, unclip the light, feed the wire through the rim, tuck the wire out of the way. It also looked bad to me as it stuck out the back of the rim 5 inches. So I drilled the new bracket with the Jeep grill and drilled the tire mount, I think it's magnesium because it drilled like butter. Drilled a hole for the wires to be hidden and now it's behind the rim shinning through!
View attachment 4220
Awesome idea. How far back front the front edge of the tire carrier did you mount the 3rd tail light.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

No way, that's awesome - great job! This is a much better solution than how Mopar wants you to install it especially being that it can be a pain to remove just to get your spare off.

JTCO

Meme King
View attachment 4220

That came out clean.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Nice mod. I was going to order the Mopar CHMSL relocation kit, but have reconsidered now that I know what a pain it can be.