JL JOURNAL : BETTER BOOST for Your BUDGET - RANCHO JL WRANGLER Sport Lift Kit

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am thinking about ordering this lift with the Rancho adjustable shocks. Part #RSS66122BR9

I think the only difference is the adjustable shocks.

Has anyone used the Rancho adjustable shocks?

The Rancho 9000's are a great shock and I think you'd be very happy with this setup.

Deezus

Check your drive shafts to see if you've knocked off any balancing weights. I know you've been wheeling pretty hard recently and an oscillating vibration is almost always a driveline balancing issue.
Yea that was it.... It's funny 70mph slight vibe, 71mph vibe gone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Deezus

Well, glad to hear I could be of help. Did you get your shaft rebalanced?
Actually I just set it at 71mph with cruise control and it's fine. What I plan on doing is replacing the weight, I have one from a JK. Then I'll see if that works.... If not, I'll probably get an aftermarket shaft because I know more weights will get knocked off.... I have seven total. I only have one hit on the DS and it took a weight off....ive only been to Barrett Lake, Deer Valley and the Rubicon. I guess that's a lot actually haha
It's funny that the weight getting knocked off happened at Deer Valley....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I just set it at 71mph with cruise control and it's fine. What I plan on doing is replacing the weight, I have one from a JK. Then I'll see if that works.... If not, I'll probably get an aftermarket shaft because I know more weights will get knocked off.... I have seven total. I only have one hit on the DS and it took a weight off....ive only been to Barrett Lake, Deer Valley and the Rubicon. I guess that's a lot actually haha
It's funny that the weight getting knocked off happened at Deer Valley....

Weights getting cleared off is totally normal and because of it, I always recommend that people find a local shop to buy a drive shaft from. You know, because you'll be using them in the future to have them rebalanced. At least, if you play out on the rocks anyway. Regarding weight, you do know that you can't just pop on any ol' weight, right? Depending on the size and thickness, it can weigh more or less.

Deezus

Weights getting cleared off is totally normal and because of it, I always recommend that people find a local shop to buy a drive shaft from. You know, because you'll be using them in the future to have them rebalanced. At least, if you play out on the rocks anyway. Regarding weight, you do know that you can't just pop on any ol' weight, right? Depending on the size and thickness, it can weigh more or less.
Yea Im aware.... But it's a cheap first step to get me through the winter as I won't be wheeling until next year.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea Im aware.... But it's a cheap first step to get me through the winter as I won't be wheeling until next year.

Got it. Not like a little vibration is gonna do any harm or at least, in the immediate future. I should note that my local driveline shop charges $100 for a rebalance. I would imagine a shop in your neck of the woods would be about that too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance you or anyone else could educate me on what makes a great shock? I’ve been interested in the adjustability of the 9000s, but then I wonder if that’s better or something that’s made for the JL like a Fox shock, etc.

First off, ride quality is 100% subjective. Second, a majority of your ride quality comes from the coils you're running - shocks just dampen hits and smooth out your ride.

With that said, if all you do is drive around on pavement, most any shock including an old school hydro like a Rancho 5000 will give you a nice ride. If the only kind of wheeling you do is flexing out on the rocks, they will do just fine too. Where something like a high end monotube shock will do better is in driving hard and fast over rough terrain. In these conditions, they'll do a better job of keeping cooler for a longer period of time and because of how they're designed with a separate nitrogen gas chamber, they'll do a better job of resisting cavitation or shock fade. Remote reservoirs will do this even better. If there is a downside to monotubes is that most tend to be a bit firm for daily driving. What makes an adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000 nice is that you can set it at a soft setting for daily use and then firm it up for off road use. If there is a down side to that, it's that you have to actually get out and adjust each one every time you go from one condition to the other.

aug0211

First off, ride quality is 100% subjective. Second, a majority of your ride quality comes from the coils you're running - shocks just dampen hits and smooth out your ride.

With that said, if all you do is drive around on pavement, most any shock including an old school hydro like a Rancho 5000 will give you a nice ride. If the only kind of wheeling you do is flexing out on the rocks, they will do just fine too. Where something like a high end monotube shock will do better is in driving hard and fast over rough terrain. In these conditions, they'll do a better job of keeping cooler for a longer period of time and because of how they're designed with a separate nitrogen gas chamber, they'll do a better job of resisting cavitation or shock fade. Remote reservoirs will do this even better. If there is a downside to monotubes is that most tend to be a bit firm for daily driving. What makes an adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000 nice is that you can set it at a soft setting for daily use and then firm it up for off road use. If there is a down side to that, it's that you have to actually get out and adjust each one every time you go from one condition to the other.

Awesome feedback, thank you.

As I think you know, most of my driving (sadly all of it, so far - until I can get my lift together!) is on road.

I expect to ease through difficulty ~3/5 trails and do not expect to be running them quickly, so it’s probably not worth me going big on shocks.

This was very helpful, thank you Eddie and Cindy.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome feedback, thank you.

As I think you know, most of my driving (sadly all of it, so far - until I can get my lift together!) is on road.

I expect to ease through difficulty ~3/5 trails and do not expect to be running them quickly, so it’s probably not worth me going big on shocks.

This was very helpful, thank you Eddie and Cindy.

Seeing your other post, I should point out that Dynatrac specifically pairs their coils with specially tuned Fox 2.0's. As in, they were made for each other to provide an optimal ride.

With that said, the Rancho kit is a great kit and priced affordably as well but you will get more like 2.5" of lift with it whereas I know you said you wanted more like 1.5"-2".

aug0211

Seeing your other post, I should point out that Dynatrac specifically pairs their coils with specially tuned Fox 2.0's. As in, they were made for each other to provide an optimal ride.

With that said, the Rancho kit is a great kit and priced affordably as well but you will get more like 2.5" of lift with it whereas I know you said you wanted more like 1.5"-2".

I really can’t thank you guys enough, Eddie and Cindy.

Wife and I just watched your Dynatrac video again, trying to make the decision today. I was back on the Rancho kick, but seeing this post again reminded me that it’s more lift than we’d like, so we’re back to a spacer lift vs. Dynatrac.

Sorry to get off topic there - supposed to just be focused on Rancho here. Just wanted to be sure to thank you again.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really can’t thank you guys enough, Eddie and Cindy.

Wife and I just watched your Dynatrac video again, trying to make the decision today. I was back on the Rancho kick, but seeing this post again reminded me that it’s more lift than we’d like, so we’re back to a spacer lift vs. Dynatrac.

Sorry to get off topic there - supposed to just be focused on Rancho here. Just wanted to be sure to thank you again.

Personally, I wouldn't waste your money on a spacer lift. The factory coils just can't keep up with the additional unsprung weight of bigger and heavier wheels and tires. Your ride quality WILL be diminished even with new shocks. Of course, if you don't care about ride quality, it'll give you the ride height you're wanting. If cost is an issue, I would still recommend a slightly taller lift like this Rancho kit would provide as it is only slightly taller and the ride will be better. Or at least, in my opinion anyway.

JTCO

Meme King
I've heard nothing but positive things in regards to the Rancho 9000s.

Last edited:

Polaris Pro

I don’t have vehicle lift. Can this be installed with jack-stands? I wasn’t sure how much axle drop you must have to remove and install the springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTCO

Meme King
I don’t have vehicle lift. Can this be installed with jack-stands? I wasn’t sure how much axle drop you must have to remove and install the springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the tallest jack stands possible.