Skid Systems

DavidDJL69

I don’t believe I remember anyone saying you, especially, are a mall crawler. You’re experience and the experiences you post online are the reasons many of us joined this forum. Let alone the amazing and helpful videos of how to and where to go. Hard Rock is one of the vendors that specifically says that frame flex was “discovered” on JL’s at the EJS in Moab this spring. True? Don’t know but found it interesting enough to ask what others thought. Trying to sell his massive skid system? Probably. I agree that the oil pan on my JL is probably protected against most anything except my stupidity. The cooler lines are another matter. And I’ve already put a pretty good ding in my gas tank skid, so I was simply asking if anyone knows what’s out there right now. I couldn’t find the aftermarket companies offering anything yet for the JL. Thanks. I definitely don’t want to be that dude that has a 1,000# skid system that has to be removed just to get my TC serviced or oil changed! LOL

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t believe I remember anyone saying you, especially, are a mall crawler. You’re experience and the experiences you post online are the reasons many of us joined this forum. Let alone the amazing and helpful videos of how to and where to go. Hard Rock is one of the vendors that specifically says that frame flex was “discovered” on JL’s at the EJS in Moab this spring. True? Don’t know but found it interesting enough to ask what others thought. Trying to sell his massive skid system? Probably. I agree that the oil pan on my JL is probably protected against most anything except my stupidity. The cooler lines are another matter. And I’ve already put a pretty good ding in my gas tank skid, so I was simply asking if anyone knows what’s out there right now. I couldn’t find the aftermarket companies offering anything yet for the JL. Thanks. I definitely don’t want to be that dude that has a 1,000# skid system that has to be removed just to get my TC serviced or oil changed! LOL

Rock Hard is a great company who makes a lot of great products and I still run their sport cage in our JK. That being said, I am not a fan of any skid system that replaces factory skids and covers so much real estate. Of course, that's just me and I hope you know that I'm just sharing my reasons why and not trying to convince anyone to think otherwise. I would always encourage people to do what they think is best for their Jeep.

Like you, I am not happy about the exposed cooler lines and hope to add protection for it sooner than later. As far as the factory gas tank skid goes, just because it gets a ding doesn't mean it failed or is even bad. I'm still running the factory skid on our 11 year old JK and while it may not look pretty, it's still doing a great job of protecting my fuel tank.

main.php

I should note that the JL factory skids are even stronger.

Deezus

Only reason I want to do a full skid is for when I resell jeep. That being said it's a pain in the arse when you want to work on your jeep and limits clearance as well when running full skids. All my buddies run Hauk and river raider skids and have zero issues other than taking them off to grease arms and zerks. I ran Rockhards on my jk and they were great. They use slider type bolt protectors but even then I had to use a hammer and old socket sometimes to loosen bolts.
This time I want skids that give me the protection I need but don't limit clearance.
I'm definitely doing a engine skid but I might stop there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Only reason I want to do a full skid is for when I resell jeep. That being said it's a pain in the arse when you want to work on your jeep and limits clearance as well when running full skids. All my buddies run Hauk and river raider skids and have zero issues other than taking them off to grease arms and zerks. I ran Rockhards on my jk and they were great. They use slider type bolt protectors but even then I had to use a hammer and old socket sometimes to loosen bolts.
This time I want skids that give me the protection I need but don't limit clearance.
I'm definitely doing a engine skid but I might stop there.

If you're concerned about resale, simply buy new factory skids to replace your beat up ones. Cheaper than buying a full skid system and just as easy to install.

Deezus

If you're concerned about resale, simply buy new factory skids to replace your beat up ones. Cheaper than buying a full skid system and just as easy to install.
Like I said, that would be a reason but I was able to sell my jk and I only had the engine skid. Also full skid would replace stock skids so it could work that way too.
At this point I'm only gonna go with the engine skid or oil pan skid but all the ones I've seen still leave those tranny lines exposed somewhat. Im actually gonna wait til next season to build jeep. By then there should be more selection.

NFRs2000NYC

I’m always shocked how people want to run these stupid worthless aftermarket skids, that will probably crack at best or shard at worst puncturing something. If you look at oem skids, diff covers and oil pan, you’ll see that properly formed sheet steel is exceptionally strong and when it does get hit, it can take it with just a dent. I’m hoping some company with the ability to do stamped steel parts comes out with good skids, maybe like AEV. I love the fact that they are so light. I run evo skids on my JKUR, and do like them, but they are heavy. However, they are easy to remove quickly, and are actually strong.

OJK12

I’m still running all my factory skids on my JK and it’s funny how many people always comment about how dented up they are and that I should look into “hardcore” skid plates! I just laugh and say show me where mine failed and I’ll buy something else!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m always shocked how people want to run these stupid worthless aftermarket skids, that will probably crack at best or shard at worst puncturing something. If you look at oem skids, diff covers and oil pan, you’ll see that properly formed sheet steel is exceptionally strong and when it does get hit, it can take it with just a dent. I’m hoping some company with the ability to do stamped steel parts comes out with good skids, maybe like AEV. I love the fact that they are so light. I run evo skids on my JKUR, and do like them, but they are heavy. However, they are easy to remove quickly, and are actually strong.

On Rubicat, we just ran the EVO oil pan and trans pan skid. Neither were that heavy or at least, I didn't think so. I also liked how high they were tucked up.

I’m still running all my factory skids on my JK and it’s funny how many people always comment about how dented up they are and that I should look into “hardcore” skid plates! I just laugh and say show me where mine failed and I’ll buy something else!

EXACTLY!! :thumb:

Deezus

On Rubicat, we just ran the EVO oil pan and trans pan skid. Neither were that heavy or at least, I didn't think so. I also liked how high they were tucked up.

That's what I'm going for as well high and tight and minimal weight.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Stickman

Hauk Skids

When I was on the stocker tires, I slid off a rock and heard a solid knock. I thought it was the diff at the time, but it was the oil pan, IF you can can call that little muffin can thing a pan...lol. I'm looking at doing the Artec or the Hauk Offroad skid. I was waiting to see if anything else came out.

31478674_10216494874664863_4209717027012608000_o.jpg

I am a pretty hardcore rock crawler. My JK skids look like they have been mangled with a sledge but have protected the vulnerable stuff just fine. I have ordered the Hauk skids for my JL but they are about a month out. i am considering their UHMV option since my new JL will be 3" lower than my JK - may help me slide over the bigger boulders...