How to Fix Possible Sync Issue with the Keyless Push Button Start System

Dynatrac

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter
Some people have already said that they have occasionally had a problem with the keyless push button start in the Jeep Wrangler JL not working. There's an easy fix built into the system for this, as we demonstrate in this video:

We will do more of these simple JL tech tips and videos in the coming months. Let us know if there is a question that you have, and we'll try to answer it! Tony Carvallo is now an engineer at Dynatrac and is working on some great new products for the JL, but he formerly worked at Jeep and on the JL program specifically. That lets us share some of the tech tips and insight he has on the vehicle.

Last edited:

Four Flusher

Sweet, I've been wondering about that. Just an FYI for all the dumb folks like me, A new programed FOB is $260, I washed mine. Not waterproof.

shyong

Isn't this a backup thing when the battery in the keyfob's dead? Ford does something similar. You remove the front most cup holder liner and put the fob in the notch, then push the start engine button. Jeep went the route of kissing the push start button with the keyfob.

13_gecko_rubi

Some people have already said that they have occasionally had a problem with the keyless push button start in the Jeep Wrangler JL not working. There's an easy fix built into the system for this, as we demonstrate in this video:

We will do more of these simple JL tech tips and videos in the coming months. Let us know if there is a question that you have, and we'll try to answer it! Tony Carvallo is now an engineer at Dynatrac and is working on some great new products for the JL, but he formerly worked at Jeep and on the JL program specifically. That lets us share some of the tech tips and insight he has on the vehicle.
I think he asked for this "feature" just so he could do a video later in life... LOL

Sent via....

13_gecko_rubi

Isn't this a backup thing when the battery in the keyfob's dead? Ford does something similar. You remove the front most cup holder liner and put the fob in the notch, then push the start engine button. Jeep went the route of kissing the push start button with the keyfob.
Yes that too.

Sent via....

ubbb69

I have been topless and doorless most of the time i have owned my Jl. This happens almost every time i carry my fob in my left pocket. The dash tells you to touch fob to start button but it is not really needed. If you switch to right pocket or built in holster in cup holder it will function correctly. Sometimes when in the left pocket if it does start you will be driving and it will say fob left the vehicle also. :crazyeyes: This kinda blows as years ago i started carrying my wallet in front right pocket to alleviate back issues. The fob is to big to fit with wallet without the key coming out all day.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I have been topless and doorless most of the time i have owned my Jl. This happens almost every time i carry my fob in my left pocket. The dash tells you to touch fob to start button but it is not really needed. If you switch to right pocket or built in holster in cup holder it will function correctly. Sometimes when in the left pocket if it does start you will be driving and it will say fob left the vehicle also. :crazyeyes: This kinda blows as years ago i started carrying my wallet in front right pocket to alleviate back issues. The fob is to big to fit with wallet without the key coming out all day.

Carrying things in your left pocket while doorless is not the smartest idea.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

It's a limitation of a removable door vehicle. Most vehicles have the sensors for proximity in the doors. Well that's not feasible for a JL. So if u put key in left pocket, you are right at door line and the proximity triangulation can think it left vehicle.

Sent via....

RustyE

I had an experience this weekend that I don’t remember reading about. We spent the weekend with no top or doors, and on Saturday we stopped to meet some friends and I unlocked the “doors” by opening the tailgate while the fob was in my pocket, to show them something in the cargo area(I keep it locked while topless to hopefully keep people out of the cargo area). When we went to start the Jeep, it showed “keyfob battery dead” or something to that nature, and asked me to start the Jeep using the keyfob to press the start button. It would not work until I locked the doors with the keyfob. After pressing the lock button on the fob, it started right up without having to use the fob to press the button. Anyone else had this happen?

Rusty

13_gecko_rubi

I had an experience this weekend that I don’t remember reading about. We spent the weekend with no top or doors, and on Saturday we stopped to meet some friends and I unlocked the “doors” by opening the tailgate while the fob was in my pocket, to show them something in the cargo area(I keep it locked while topless to hopefully keep people out of the cargo area). When we went to start the Jeep, it showed “keyfob battery dead” or something to that nature, and asked me to start the Jeep using the keyfob to press the start button. It would not work until I locked the doors with the keyfob. After pressing the lock button on the fob, it started right up without having to use the fob to press the button. Anyone else had this happen?

Rusty
You mean the unlock button right? Pressing the lock button would turn on the security system.

Sent via....

13_gecko_rubi

It was the unlock button. I mistyped.

Rusty
Ya when u shut the rear door and hit lock you armed the security system. U have to hit unlock to shut it off so it will start even with the key. Another weird nuassance of a doorless vehicle. Glad u figured it out quick!

Sent via....