Buy or wait for 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Soggy Gopher

I'm in the same boat frza. I love me some diesels so I'm gonna wait. I think the worst case scenario is to wait and still buy a 2017 or a 2016 that's stashed away in the back corner of some lot........ at the end of the calendar year they have the mentality in with the new and out with the old which can lead to some good deals on last year's models.

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

frza

It will be my daily driver. Sahara seems to be the way to go. But am I missing out the true Jeep experience if I do not go with the Rubicon?

dj311

I got a JKU Rubicon a month ago as I ultimately decided that buying a first year new model might not be a good idea, plus a bit of fear that weight reductions might weaken the vehicle, and assumptions (now validated) that the diesel wouldn't be available for awhile. Who knows - maybe I'll get a 2019 JLU diesel and sell my 2017 JKU. Time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be my daily driver. Sahara seems to be the way to go. But am I missing out the true Jeep experience if I do not go with the Rubicon?

I think waiting would be best as well. I am in a similar boat. I am at a complete stand still on all mods to my current rig, which I had planned to have built up already, until I know if I'm going to keep it or trade it in. If the JL offers significant upgrades over what I've got, I'll get one. If I feel that the cost doesn't justify anything significant over my JKU, then I'm going all in on my current rig.
As far as Rubicon vs Sahara, it all depends on what type of wheeling you will be doing. If you are daily driving it and hitting forest roads and some trails on the weekend, or plan on major modifications, then I feel the Sahara will be fine. You'd be surprised what a bone stock sport or Sahara is capable of from the factory. On the other hand, if you plan of wheeling often, or going places where lockers would be beneficial, then a Rubicon is the way to go. You get a better transfer case, electronic sway bar disconnect, a beefier front axle, 4.10 gears if you order them, and front and rear selectable lockers. A Rubicon is the most capable production vehicle made today. In addition, you can take your time building up a Rubicon and still have a capable vehicle to enjoy while your building it.
For me personally, if I keep my current rig, I'll be swapping out axles, etc. if I trade it in on a new JL, I will be going Rubicon all the way. Who knows how long it will be before the aftermarket catches up and parts are available for it, and the benefit of having stronger axles, lockers, etc from the factory means I can get it on up to a 37" tire with minimal mods compared to a sport or Sahara. Figure out how your honestly going to use it and what you plan to do to it first, then decide on Sahara or Rubicon. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Dave_b

Any opinions?

I am a first time buyer. Thinking about buying the 2017 Sahara unlimited, but not sure if I should wait for the 2018 model.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I found a 2017 unlimited rubicon Recon in Gobi fully loaded so....I got it! $5k off and I just love everything about the package, plus no start/stop and it has a CD player. Also, I hate the new fenders wt lights...ugh!! Plus the interior looks a little too Fiat for me.