dbltap's Mojito! JLUR

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I had been considering going with a PSC system, and had purchased JT grille inserts in hopes to improve airflow to the PSC cooler. Although I haven't gone with the PSC system, I still like the beefy looks of the JT grille. This was probably one of the quickest mods that I've ever done. I didn't plan on doing a write-up, but after looking at all of the pictures that I took, I figured I could piece one together.

JT insert P/Ns (with prices that I paid):
6QN21RXFAB ($6.02)
6QN22RXFAB ($12.10)
6QN23RXFAB ($6.02)
20200327_171518_copy_1280x960.jpg

Grille off. Surprisingly, I was able to easily detach the bottom of the grille without the winch getting in the way.
20200327_184928_copy_1280x959.jpg

There are 8 T20 torx screws and 4 white push pins that need to be removed before disconnecting the black snap tabs. You can use a flat head screwdriver to coax the black tabs circled in green. Once you release those, the tabs circled in red will release themselves by lifting the top of the inserts up and away from the rest of the grille.
20200328_110404.jpg

JL vs. JT inserts. This is where things are different.
20200328_111332_copy_1280x960.jpg
Green circles indicate the top black snaps present on the center JL insert, but do not function on the center JT insert.
Orange circles indicate provisions for Torx screws on the JT inserts, but not present on the JL inserts (nor are they present on my black grill).
Red circles indicate two tabs on the center JT insert, but not on the center JL insert. Modification of these tabs was necessary for proper fitment to my grille.

JT inserts in. However, the tabs on the middle JT insert (circled above in red and indicated with red arrows in this picture) result in the inserts not sitting flush.
20200328_112526.jpg

Close up of the tabs on the center JT insert.
20200328_113746.jpg

I shaved the raised areas highlighted in red using an X-Acto knife. It was very easy to do, as the plastic is very soft. This will allow for the center JT insert to slide underneath the two tabs located on my grille.
20200328_113905.jpg

The tabs on the insert now sitting nicely under the tabs of the grille, allowing the pieces to sit flush as well as providing stability. I could have cut the tabs off completely, however I chose this modification for the added attachment points in lieu of the missing black snaps discussed above.
20200328_114454_copy_1280x960.jpg

Here are comparison shots of JL inserts versus JT inserts. Right now I really like the chunky look of the JT inserts, however this mod is easily reversible should I wish to return to stock.

20200327_184406_copy_1280x960.jpg

20200328_093309_copy_1280x959.jpg

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I've lost track of time, is it throwback Thursday? I have no idea. Either way, here is an oldie but a goodie. First time on dirt... or maybe third.

20200331_225433_copy_1280x960.jpg

Last edited:

MrGiant

Your JL has changed slightly I think, but maybe I neey to get my eyes checked [emoji14]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

tobyw

Ouch. 😬 But, so far so good now.

Just good natured ribbing, didn't mean to offend in any way/shape/form. I know your struggles, been through similar battles on a couple of different rigs of my own over the years. I am glad to hear you seem to have it figured out, even if only for a while, because you can at least get back to enjoying it :thumb:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Just good natured ribbing, didn't mean to offend in any way/shape/form. I know your struggles, been through similar battles on a couple of different rigs of my own over the years. I am glad to hear you seem to have it figured out, even if only for a while, because you can at least get back to enjoying it :thumb:

No worries. 👍 After all, it is true.

MrGiant

Gras besides the driveway is about half an inch shorter
[emoji14]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Gras besides the driveway is about half an inch shorter
[emoji14]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Not to mention the snow on the grass (bottom pic taken in mid April). Heck, it's April 3rd today and we got about 6 in of snow in the past few hours.

MrGiant

Not to mention the snow on the grass (bottom pic taken in mid April). Heck, it's April 3rd today and we got about 6 in of snow in the past few hours.
I am jealous right now, we didnt have ANY snow at all. Go wheeling! Take pics

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
A little more practice.

EDIT... Huh, this video keeps failing.??? I'll try to get it up again later. Either way, she did great. Of course, I was next to her. Lol.

EDIT 2.0: All righty, I cannot get the second video to work properly. Obviously I'm not a (YouTube) genius, but thank heavens I resemble one.

PhotoEditor_20190308_071720094_copy_1024x1024.jpg

FINAL EDIT: Second video... fuggedaboutit! At least the first and third one's work.

Last edited: