dbltap's Mojito! JLUR

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Because it's been off the road for some time, I've got it connected to a battery tender. I can't close the hood with the terminals on, but I've also got it on the short side of the garage. Garage door hardware will hit the hood if I keep it up so I've got a couple of 4x4s under the hood to keep it propped up.

20190922_112430-1280x720.jpg

It looks like it should be in A Bug's Life.
PhotoEditor_20190922_181444835-1280x720.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Any updates on this?

Sadly no.

I have checked torque on lug nuts, tie rod, drag link, track bar, steering box bolts, UCAs, LCAs, ball joints... all multiple times over the past several weeks.

I pulled my front LCAs to check for blown Johnny Joints on my long arms, yet no problem. Went over my UCA bushings/joints, no problems. Brand new EVO TB. TB brackets and mounting holes are in fine condition. I've had my wheels rebalanced, no fix. I've checked every possible weld that could check in the front end and have found no problems. I went from 1/16 to 1/8 positive toe with no effect. Caster is 6°. Unable to find unusual / excessive movement in the Synergy TREs. I have no unusual radial or axial ball joint play. No slop in the unit bearings. The only thing I haven't checked is the pitman arm nut because I don't have a socket that size, but it is splined.

Unfortunately local 4x4 shops have attributed it to large tires and recommend a dual stabilizer setup. WTF?

I do have a clunk that seems to be coming from the steering box at the frame. Dealer states that may need replacement under warranty, but I haven't had a chance to take it down yet.

I could go hydro, but if the steering system isn't the culprit, then I'll only be masking the symptoms.

Last edited:

JeepJL

Sadly no.

I have checked torque on lug nuts, tie rod, drag link, track bar, steering box bolts, UCAs, LCAs, ball joints... all multiple times over the past several weeks.

I pulled my front LCAs to check for blown Johnny Joints on my long arms, yet no problem. Went over my UCA bushings/joints, no problems. Brand new EVO TB. TB brackets and mounting holes are in fine condition. I've had my wheels rebalanced, no fix. I've checked every possible weld that could check in the front end and have found no problems. I went from 1/16 to 1/8 positive toe with no effect. Caster is 6°. Unable to find unusual / excessive movement in the Synergy TREs. I have no unusual radial or axial ball joint play. No slop in the unit bearings. The only thing I haven't checked is the pitman arm nut because I don't have a socket that size, but it is splined.

Unfortunately local 4x4 shops have attributed it to large tires and recommend a dual stabilizer setup. WTF?

I do have a clunk that seems to be coming from the steering box at the frame. Dealer states that may need replacement under warranty, but I haven't had a chance to take it down yet.

I could go hydro, but if the steering system isn't the culprit, then I'll only be masking the symptoms.

I replaced my steering box last week with the AE part number and it made no difference. I’m in the exact same boat. Mine only does it when it’s cold out. It will act like it’s going to do it when it’s warm but never goes into full DW unless it’s around 35-40 or below. I’m sure the larger tires and backspacing on my wheels are magnifying the problem but man it truly just sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I replaced my steering box last week with the AE part number and it made no difference. I’m in the exact same boat. Mine only does it when it’s cold out. It will act like it’s going to do it when it’s warm but never goes into full DW unless it’s around 35-40 or below. I’m sure the larger tires and backspacing on my wheels are magnifying the problem but man it truly just sucks.

That does suck. The service manager at my local dealer (who is pretty awesome) has advised me that the problem may be remedied by installing steering box Revision E. May just go ahead and do it anyways.

JeepJL

That does suck. The service manager at my local dealer (who is pretty awesome) has advised me that the problem may be remedied by installing steering box Revision E. May just go ahead and do it anyways.

Oh I would do it and hope it works for you but go in with the mindset that it might not. I was hoping so badly it would fix it. It did take some play out of the box though.

JeepJL

I started thinking more about our issues with DW. I talked to PSC this morning and asked them the reasoning behind why they sell a belt driven pump kit only. He said it’s because of the exact problems We are having. He Said the factory pump is barely enough for the stock size tires and the aluminum steering box wears out very fast as people experience wondering over time and when you go to larger tires with wheels that stick out it kills the pump. I know my wife has a tendency to hold the brake and turn the wheel at a standstill when in parking lots. I know that’s extremely hard on the steering components especially when you have larger tires. I’m going to have my factory pump replaced hopefully this week and will report my findings. If it works like it did when I first installed the lift I’ll go to the PSC overlanding kit. Pump and box no hydro assist. I’m hoping I’m heading in the right direction. I’ll definitely let you know.

dixonk

I started thinking more about our issues with DW. I talked to PSC this morning and asked them the reasoning behind why they sell a belt driven pump kit only. He said it’s because of the exact problems We are having. He Said the factory pump is barely enough for the stock size tires and the aluminum steering box wears out very fast as people experience wondering over time and when you go to larger tires with wheels that stick out it kills the pump. I know my wife has a tendency to hold the brake and turn the wheel at a standstill when in parking lots. I know that’s extremely hard on the steering components especially when you have larger tires. I’m going to have my factory pump replaced hopefully this week and will report my findings. If it works like it did when I first installed the lift I’ll go to the PSC overlanding kit. Pump and box no hydro assist. I’m hoping I’m heading in the right direction. I’ll definitely let you know.

Very interesting info.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
@JeepJL: looking forward to your results. Going to replace my steering box as well, but I'm in no hurry. I've got more than a foot of snow on the ground over the past few days and more coming. Just too damn cold to get anything done right now. Lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Makes sense to me. Fortunately, I kept the brand new steering box and pump off of my Gladiator and I might just install them to see if it makes any difference. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until after SEMA :rolleyes2:

JeepJL

Makes sense to me. Fortunately, I kept the brand new steering box and pump off of my Gladiator and I might just install them to see if it makes any difference. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until after SEMA :rolleyes2:

Yes I’d hold onto that one. Sounds like the new part number for the newest pump is AG. I sure hope this does it or someone buying my rig will have a new PSC setup installed.

drhcobra

Thanks for sharing this info and keeping us all up to date on this.

JeepJL

Thanks for sharing this info and keeping us all up to date on this.

Yeah no problem. I gotta get to the bottom of this. It sucks and this morning being 5 degrees out made it basically non drivable. It shook the entire mile to school. The dual stabilizer will be here this afternoon and the new pump hopefully by the end of the week. I’ll post my results.

WiscoHR

Yeah no problem. I gotta get to the bottom of this. It sucks and this morning being 5 degrees out made it basically non drivable. It shook the entire mile to school. The dual stabilizer will be here this afternoon and the new pump hopefully by the end of the week. I’ll post my results.

Did you happen to get the new steering dampener in the v41 recall. Since I put that one on my shaking hasn’t been happening. I know it just masks the problem but my jl has been driving better since.

JeepJL

Did you happen to get the new steering dampener in the v41 recall. Since I put that one on my shaking hasn’t been happening. I know it just masks the problem but my jl has been driving better since.

Yeah it made it a tad better for about a week. I then grabbed another and no difference. Something else is definitely getting worse. I’m gonna try running all 3 stabilizers as a temp solution to drive it. Lol