dbltap's Mojito! JLUR

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Awesome!! So glad to hear you were finally able to get your DW in check and that you're now able to enjoy your Jeep again. It's funny because the setup you're running now is the EXACT setup I've been running as well. I removed my Fox SS mainly because of the damage I've done to the tie-rod clamp but maybe it wasn't helping anything either.

Anyway, enjoy :thumb:

I'm still unconvinced that my problem is solved, but at the very least it's drivable without any hint of shimmy at this point. I guess time will tell.

Glad to see the JL is back up and driving. That Oem SS should last for a while. They were putting one on mine every oil change for a while but the latest one has been on for about 10k miles with no steering wheel shake.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I thought you had gone through a bunch of stabilizers. The one I have on now is the one that came on my Jeep brand new. It has maybe 13000 miles on it, +/-.

:thumb: Glad to see your jeep out again.

Thanks. I put on a little over 500 miles in 2 days. Hard to get the smile off of my face. 🙂

Napalm

My death wobble began in August of 2019, when I installed a Synergy JL Tie Rod and a Synergy JL Drag Link because the tie rod end on my OE drag link (at the pitman arm) was worn/sloppy.

After reinstalling various bits and pieces, my initial observations were:

OE TR + OE DL + OE SS = NO DW
OE TR + OE DL w/o SS = DW

Synergy TR + Synergy DL + Fox SS = DW
Synergy TR + Synergy DL w/o SS = DW

The service manager at my local dealership stated that they would replace my steering box so long as I reinstalled the OE SS.

Yesterday I removed my FOX Performance Series 2.0 Stabilizer TS.

View attachment 15121

I installed the Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit (Part #: 8807-03) along with my original/OE SS.

View attachment 15122

I have now come up with a new formula:

Synergy TR + Synergy DL + OE SS = NO DW

That's right, I currently have no death wobble. Last night I had it out for about 30 minutes and hit every single pothole and manhole that had previously resulted in DW, but my front end remained DW and shimmy free each and every time. I put the FOX SS back on, and the DW returned.

With the OE SS reinstalled, we took the Jeep out for about 150 miles today on freeway, city roads and fire service roads, all without issue. The Jeep feels as it did before.

Whether or not you should be able to drive all solid axle vehicles without a steering stabilizer, I don't know. How long my front end is going to remain symptom-free, I don't know that either. My experience seems to go against conventional wisdom, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for posting this. I was considering going with a Fox Stabilizer when upgrading to my new 37's.. but your horrific experience has changed my plan. I am assuming no issues have come from just using the Synergy relocation bracket? I definitely want to run one of those, just with the O.E. Stabilizer. Again, thanks for sharing your experience!

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Thanks for posting this. I was considering going with a Fox Stabilizer when upgrading to my new 37's.. but your horrific experience has changed my plan. I am assuming no issues have come from just using the Synergy relocation bracket? I definitely want to run one of those, just with the O.E. Stabilizer. Again, thanks for sharing your experience!

The Synergy relocation bracket is very stout, and I would recommend it. The stabilizer tie rod clamp is way better than that on the Fox stabilizer, with the bolt heads facing up and out of the way rather then downward.

ddays v2

It's unbelievable that the stock vs Fox stabilizer results in DW. Glad you're getting to enjoy the Jeep again.

I wonder if anyone that's upgraded to the PSC Big Bore has experienced DW?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Synergy relocation bracket is very stout, and I would recommend it. The stabilizer tie rod clamp is way better than that on the Fox stabilizer, with the bolt heads facing up and out of the way rather then downward.

This ^^^^

I really have to say that I was not impressed with the way the Fox stabilizer clamp is designed. I really beat mine to all hell and then had a hell of a time removing it.

It's unbelievable that the stock vs Fox stabilizer results in DW. Glad you're getting to enjoy the Jeep again.

Honestly, I've been really impressed with how well the OE stabilizer works. Granted, I always felt the same way about the JK one as well.

Don't know of anyone who's running just the Big Bore PSC but I too would be curious to know.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Great news[emoji1605]glad you’re back on the road!

Thanks, me too. I always keep an eye out for you around town, but I don't think I've ever seen your Jeep.

Well, to be honest I'm not exactly sure why I had death wobble, but there's no doubt the OE SS has resolved it, at least for now.

What a journey - fingers crossed that O.E. SS is a permanent fix!

Thanks. Fingers crossed here as well.

drhcobra

Well, to be honest I'm not exactly sure why I had death wobble, but there's no doubt the OE SS has resolved it, at least for now.

I have very similar setup and still get DW, but only when it’s cold and been sitting for a while (I don’t drive it when there’s salt on the road). Once I drive a bit and things get warmed up everything seems fine. I’m gonna leave things alone for now but will start saving up for the PSC setup just in case.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I have very similar setup and still get DW, but only when it’s cold and been sitting for a while (I don’t drive it when there’s salt on the road). Once I drive a bit and things get warmed up everything seems fine. I’m gonna leave things alone for now but will start saving up for the PSC setup just in case.

You and I aren't the only ones. I still think there's something weird going on. Is the frame, is it the steering box, is it the electric pump... I've got no idea. I've also been considering PSC, but I'd sure like to know what the underlying problem is first. Also, I've mentioned in ANOTHER THREAD that I'm often unable to turn the steering wheel on level ground (with the engine running). It occurs more than half the time, and doesn't improve if I increase RPM by hitting the gas pedal.

drhcobra

You and I aren't the only ones. I still think there's something weird going on. Is the frame, is it the steering box, is it the electric pump... I've got no idea. I've also been considering PSC, but I'd sure like to know what the underlying problem is first. Also, I've mentioned in ANOTHER THREAD that I'm often unable to turn the steering wheel on level ground (with the engine running). It occurs more than half the time, and doesn't improve if I increase RPM by hitting the gas pedal.

Yes I saw that, I haven’t had that problem.

WiscoHR

Speaking of that other thread, too lazy to look it up. I’ve been playing around. I can turn the wheels without problem with the brakes off. In park no brakes easy turning. In drive with brakes on, good luck!

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I've always thought that I was antisocial, turns out I've just been social distancing for decades. Glad to be antisocial, er... social distancing today.

20200325_133959.jpg

20200325_133029_copy_1280x960.jpg

20200325_132725_copy_1280x960.jpg

Last edited: