installing lift on new jeep jlu

jeepmann1

My new jlu rubicon is currently on order and I have a few things basic things on order that are not from mopar (rugged ridge) and I was wondering if anyone knows if they will possibly install those parts and I will drop them off when the jeep comes in and so when I take delivery it will be all ready for me?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're asking whether or not your dealership would be willing to install aftermarket parts on your Jeep, it'll all depends on your dealership. Most will, some won't - you'll just need to ask.

That being said, depending on what you're needing installed, I might recommend you just do it yourself.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Whacha got to put on? Hard to provide guidance if we don't know what the parts are. Maybe you can do it, maybe you can't. No doubt many here can provide advice if you decide to give it a go yourself, and in the end you may be able to surprise yourself and take pride in working on your own Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Whacha got to put on? Hard to provide guidance if we don't know what the parts are. Maybe you can do it, maybe you can't. No doubt many here can provide advice if you decide to give it a go yourself, and in the end you may be able to surprise yourself and take pride in working on your own Jeep.

I should add that for what it would cost to have a lift installed, you could easily buy the tools you need to do it yourself and you'll still have them after the fact. :yup:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I should add that for what it would cost to have a lift installed, you could easily buy the tools you need to do it yourself and you'll still have them after the fact. :yup:

That’s how I got started on the JK. It’s a lot of fun, to me. You learn about the Jeep, and gain confidence to do more. Do plan on your first lift installation to take a little longer than expected, but every time you wrench on it, you get better and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Shots

Wow, another very helpful link.

So for the person who isn't doing any significant off-roading is there any reason to buy the more expensive lift with replacement control arms? I'm talking about the person who is lifting more for appearance than for function. Even possibly keeping stock size tires or close to it.
For example the Stage 1 with shock extensions, allegedly has everything you need. What then is the advantage to the other stages, if at all for the cosmetic indented lift? Are those stages intended for someone who plans to do heavy off-roading? Are the stage 1 kits going to be unable to get the alignment within spec since there's no adjustment or is that adjustment needed for some issue associated to larger tires and/or off-road use?

Sorry for the rookie questions, but this is my first solid axle vehicle. I've done many lifts in the past, but they've all had IFS.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, another very helpful link.

So for the person who isn't doing any significant off-roading is there any reason to buy the more expensive lift with replacement control arms? I'm talking about the person who is lifting more for appearance than for function. Even possibly keeping stock size tires or close to it.
For example the Stage 1 with shock extensions, allegedly has everything you need. What then is the advantage to the other stages, if at all for the cosmetic indented lift? Are those stages intended for someone who plans to do heavy off-roading? Are the stage 1 kits going to be unable to get the alignment within spec since there's no adjustment or is that adjustment needed for some issue associated to larger tires and/or off-road use?

Sorry for the rookie questions, but this is my first solid axle vehicle. I've done many lifts in the past, but they've all had IFS.

For someone like you, what I would recommend is something like this.

If you haven't already done so, sign up for the giveaway and you might just WIN it for FREE! :yup:
https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?1816-WIN-a-DYNATRAC-JL-Wrangler-EnduroSport-Lift-Kit!

Shots

Oh yeah, I've already signed up. That kit looks killer. :rock:

With all the kits to choose from on the Wrangler, it's hard to decide what would really work best. I know a lot of people mod their Jeeps for rock crawling, and mud bogging, but mine's mostly just a driver. A lot of the kits advertise the ability to install giant tires, and super heavy duty parts to allow for extreme off road use, but they rarely talk about their street manners. Sure I'll drive down a trail in the woods and see occasional off road use, but I'm not doing anything serious with it.
A lot of Jeep owners seem almost embarrassed to admit they drive it on the road more than off road, but I'm not that guy. Jim actually described me perfectly in the video. I drive on the road most of the time, but want to pack my hunting or camping gear in and disappear into the woods from time to time. We need more kits like this, as I think this is the bigger market, than a lot of Jeep owners would like to admit.
I like the look of a modest lift, and as of right now I'm very happy with my stock rim/tire combo (I paid for the option for a reason). I'll probably increase the tire size an inch or two when the stockers wear out, but till then a small lift is all I've got planned. Heck, I'd consider a body lift, but if I'm going to do the work to install something, I might as well get a little extra off road capability and/or comfort.

Anyway, thanks for tip. That kit is one of the ones that's already been on my radar.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, I've already signed up. That kit looks killer. :rock:

With all the kits to choose from on the Wrangler, it's hard to decide what would really work best. I know a lot of people mod their Jeeps for rock crawling, and mud bogging, but mine's mostly just a driver. A lot of the kits advertise the ability to install giant tires, and super heavy duty parts to allow for extreme off road use, but they rarely talk about their street manners. Sure I'll drive down a trail in the woods and see occasional off road use, but I'm not doing anything serious with it.
A lot of Jeep owners seem almost embarrassed to admit they drive it on the road more than off road, but I'm not that guy. Jim actually described me perfectly in the video. I drive on the road most of the time, but want to pack my hunting or camping gear in and disappear into the woods from time to time. We need more kits like this, as I think this is the bigger market, than a lot of Jeep owners would like to admit.
I like the look of a modest lift, and as of right now I'm very happy with my stock rim/tire combo (I paid for the option for a reason). I'll probably increase the tire size an inch or two when the stockers wear out, but till then a small lift is all I've got planned. Heck, I'd consider a body lift, but if I'm going to do the work to install something, I might as well get a little extra off road capability and/or comfort.

Anyway, thanks for tip. That kit is one of the ones that's already been on my radar.

From what I'm hearing, this really is the kit you're gonna want. Having tested it out myself, it really does offer one of the best rides money can buy especially for a daily driver. You can by a more expensive kit but I don't think you'll find it to ride any better. In a lot of cases, I think you'd find the ride quality to be worse.

Shots

Yeah, I'm thinking so too. I know you have all the adjustable control arms, do you think it will ride as well without them? Also any idea if I'll be able to keep the alignment in spec without adjustable control arms?

Last edited: