Who Has Done the Rimrocker Trail?

I know I've asked before in another part of the forum, but I'm looking for any info I can get on the Rimrocker. Has anyone done it? I've heard there is a nice campground about halfway through. Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, haven't run it myself but it looks easy enough and real pretty. Hope you'll post lots of pics from your trip :)

Sorry, haven't run it myself but it looks easy enough and real pretty. Hope you'll post lots of pics from your trip :)

Sure will! I'm just countin' the days and gearing up. Not much more to do to the Jeep. I'm adding a fridge/freezer and GMRS radio, but outside of an oil change and torquing some suspension bolts, the JL is ready to pack up and go.

I'm hoping we can take a drone along to get some 4k aerial shots. We shall see...

Anybody else have some pics or videos from that trail?

I know TrailRecon had a video a little while ago on this trail. Hopefully, it is helpful for you.

Ozark Mountain Adventures, on YouTube just did Rimrocker and posted some nice video. Here are two installments that feature it, going from Moab to Montrose.

We're getting pretty excited. I spoke on the phone with the Montrose tourism office and bought a few nice maps of the Rimrocker, for 5 bucks each. They shipped them very quickly. We're getting our Jeeps ready, bit by bit. I just changed all the drive train fluids in the JK, and am getting ready to install a GMRS radio set up in both the JL and JK. I'm also soon going to install a forward facing camera (Using the Tazer JL's cargo cam feature) underneath, facing forward. The camera should be able to see the pumpkin and give somewhat of a view of front tire placement. At least I hope it will. We shall see. I've also put a Snomaster 35 liter fridge/freezer in the JL, which has turned out to be so good, I wonder how I ever lived without one of these things! I put some Rigid Industries side-shooter floods on the cowling of the JL to give much needed light out to the sides. They did that and then some.

Mostly, I've just got some camping gear to shore up and I need to purchase a few more lightweight/small chairs. I also bought a tarp and a couple tent poles to make a cheap awning out the back of the JK. I'll post some pics up when I get around to trying it. I just can't see spending much money on something like that. Mine won't require a rack, either. Just bungie cords, tarp, two poles, ropes, and stakes.

The big thing now is learning to fly the DJI Spark drone in a way that produces good cinematography. My boys will be figuring that out. They are also going to learn to edit video, so that should be some fun when we return.

If anybody else gets some good photos or video of Rimrocker, please share!

Right now, we're still locked in for Rimrocker, Hells Revenge, and Finns N Things. We might do White Rim but don't want it to take up a full two days, so if we can, we would love to do Shafer's Trail with the switchbacks, if that can be done in a day. Anybody know if that is do-able? We're also looking for two to three more Moab trails with the primary objective being great scenery. The challenge level we're looking for is moderate, since we've got a couple bone stock JK's in the group.

DavidDJL69

My first time to Moab I bought Charles Wells’ book “Guide to Moab...etc” on Amazon. Great resource and description of almost all the trails in and around Moab. You may want to include Potash Rd & Shafer Switchbacks (easy in less than a day), La Sal Pass (high country trail...beautiful), Gemini Bridges, Onion Creek/Fisher Towers, Tower Arch (can access from Arches N.P) and don’t forget a trip to Arches N.P. It’s on pavement with touristas but well worth it IMHO. So many trails to choose from depending upon how much time you I have. Have a great time in Moab. I’m heading back in October for two weeks and am doing the White Rim Trail, camping overnight one night. It’s one special place on this globe, but don’t tell too many friends about it ;)

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

My first time to Moab I bought Charles Wells’ book “Guide to Moab...etc” on Amazon. Great resource and description of almost all the trails in and around Moab. You may want to include Potash Rd & Shafer Switchbacks (easy in less than a day), La Sal Pass (high country trail...beautiful), Gemini Bridges, Onion Creek/Fisher Towers, Tower Arch (can access from Arches N.P) and don’t forget a trip to Arches N.P. It’s on pavement with touristas but well worth it IMHO. So many trails to choose from depending upon how much time you I have. Have a great time in Moab. I’m heading back in October for two weeks and am doing the White Rim Trail, camping overnight one night. It’s one special place on this globe, but don’t tell too many friends about it ;)

I've got the book, and you are right, it is REALLY helpful! We may see you out there. We're leaving October 18 and start the Rimrocker on the 20th. We'll arrive in Moab on the 21st, then stay until the morning of the 25th, so we'll have three solid days just for the Moab part of the trip. We still may decide to do White Rim. Which campground are you looking at? Are you going clockwise, or counter, and which is recommended?

Four Flusher

We're planning on starting from Montrose on 10/5 and making it a three day trip, with a layover day somewhere along the way. Check out the Rimrocker FB page some good info there. I'll post along the way.

DavidDJL69

We’re staying at White Crack Campground. It’s about halfway. We’re doing the trail clockwise, heading down Shafer Switchbacks (we took the Potash Rd direction and then up the switchbacks last time). I checked the Canyonlands campground reservation site a couple times and was just lucky getting the White Crack reservation as someone kindly opened one up via cancellation. I believe our camp night is the 29th. Would be fun to hook up. I imagine we’ll do Fins N Things and Hells Revenge early in our time there.

We’re staying at White Crack Campground. It’s about halfway. We’re doing the trail clockwise, heading down Shafer Switchbacks (we took the Potash Rd direction and then up the switchbacks last time). I checked the Canyonlands campground reservation site a couple times and was just lucky getting the White Crack reservation as someone kindly opened one up via cancellation. I believe our camp night is the 29th. Would be fun to hook up. I imagine we’ll do Fins N Things and Hells Revenge early in our time there.

We'll stay in touch and see if we can cross paths. That would be a blast!

BillArnett

I did the White Rim trail a few years ago. Very easy. 2wd most of the way. We took 2 days and camped at White Crack but a 1 day loop would be easy enough, albeit pretty long. Depends a lot on how many stops you make for photos :)

The Schafer switchbacks are trivial. I did it once with my Tesla.

I did the White Rim trail a few years ago. Very easy. 2wd most of the way. We took 2 days and camped at White Crack but a 1 day loop would be easy enough, albeit pretty long. Depends a lot on how many stops you make for photos :)

The Schafer switchbacks are trivial. I did it once with my Tesla.

Yeah, I'm not worried about it being easy. The scenery is the reason for White Rim and Shafer.

How many hours do you think it would take to do the whole White Rim in one shot?

DavidDJL69

One reason we decided to do White Rim in two days is because we don’t have as many functional hours of daylight in mid-late October. Just hope the weather’s good and the stars surround us at night. Should be awesome. X2. The switchbacks aren’t anything...unless it’s raining. Could be a little slippery and sloppy then, but we should be good in October.

One reason we decided to do White Rim in two days is because we don’t have as many functional hours of daylight in mid-late October. Just hope the weather’s good and the stars surround us at night. Should be awesome. X2. The switchbacks aren’t anything...unless it’s raining. Could be a little slippery and sloppy then, but we should be good in October.

I hadn't thought about the view of the stars. Maybe we need to reconsider. Maybe we could do another trail in the morning, then maybe four or so hours of White Rim, hit a camp site, then complete it the next day. I'll bet the stars are spectacular. We're camping overnight at a campground on the Utah/Colorado border on the Rimrocker, but I think there are lots of trees, so the view won't be as broad.

We'll be watching the weather closely as the liftoff date approaches. Is rain pretty common in late October there?

DavidDJL69

I don’t think rain is that common in October. At least that’s what my search has indicated. Most folks I’ve talked to say it’s one of the best times to be in Moab. You might check on the Canyonlands National Park website to reserve a campsite, as that’s where you have to camp overnight if you do so in Canyonlands and on the White Rim. Last time I checked there were still some available. If you’re planning on just going part of the way in and then head out after an overnight I’m thinking you’ll have some good options in the campgrounds closer to the entrance or exit. Last time we were there in mid September to end of month and it was still pretty warm most days...a couple days totally hot in the 90’s. Don’t forget to get a burger at Milt’s Stop N Eat in Moab.

Well, the countdown has commenced. We're leaving Thursday morning and will be on the Rimrocker Saturday! I spoke to folks on Rimrocker's Facebook page who said they did get a good bit of rain and some snow, but that the water crossings still have no water. Also, the forest fire is extinguished, so it looks like we'll be in for a good ride! I'll post pics when I get a chance. The JL is ready to go and then when we get to Moab, show its stuff a little!

Four Flusher

I was in Moab Fri. We had 5-7 days of serious campground flooding rain. We skipped Rimrocker cuz of lots of snow on the La Sals. Just talked to my buddy who still there, weather's perfect for the next two weeks. You should have a great time. One thing I might add, we drove out to Canyonlands, I don't know why'd never driven all the way out to the end, absolutely spectacular. Looking down at the White Rim trail, I really want to do it with some camping along the way.