Oops!

BillArnett

A few days ago we were coming down Black Bear Pass above Telluride CO and came across this:

IMG_1608.jpg

We arrived just after the local police had cleared everything up. Apparently the driver of the red Xterra lost control, slammed into the side of a Jeep and ended up like this. If he had been a few yards to the right he would have ended up dead a few hundred yards farther down. As it was, he was able to walk away. Looks to me like the air bag and crumple zones saved his life. The family in the Jeep were stopped eating their lunch. The occupants were taken by helicopter to the hospital. Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt. Amazingly, the Jeep was still able to be driven down to Telluride. There was an open bottle of some sort of alcohol in the Xterra. But the driver claimed that his brakes failed. The whole story is yet to be determined.

Newspaper article here:

https://durangoherald.com/articles/233105

We've always known that Black Bear is a dangerous trail. But getting clobbered while eating lunch is not something I had previously considered :-(

JTCO

Meme King
They're all fucking lucky. I sure hope alcohol wasn't involved but wouldn't be surprised if it was. People are jackasses.

NFRs2000NYC

While I'm not in the habit of blaming the victim (the wrangler that got hit) I am always mindful on ANY trail not to hang out anywhere another vehicle could lose control and smash into me, much less, on a shelf road. In this case, the wrangler probably should have been in a safer spot, but ironically, it may have saved the Xtrerra driver's life.