Bead lock antisieze

WiscoHR

Quick question, I have a set of KMC Machetes and Cooper STT 37x13.5 waiting to mount on Thursday. Everything I see tells me to install them dry. I’m in WI, with lots of salt and wanted to know if a little anti-seize is ok, will I be ok? Or should I install the bolts dry?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For where you're at, you'll want to use anti-seize. You just need to remember that torque values are different wet vs. dry.

13_gecko_rubi

I've put a lot of antisieze on all 4 sets of beadlocks I've ever run. Ive torqued them all to the upper end of the spec and never had an issue. For instance my current ones were soecd at 18-20 ft lbs. I went to 20. I cannot remember what my machetes were but I went to same torque spec they stated with antisieze. At the low torque specs you torque the bolts too wet vs dry specs are probably less than the variation between consumer level torque wrenches. It starts to get significantly different the higher you go.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've put a lot of antisieze on all 4 sets of beadlocks I've ever run. Ive torqued them all to the upper end of the spec and never had an issue. For instance my current ones were soecd at 18-20 ft lbs. I went to 20. I cannot remember what my machetes were but I went to same torque spec they stated with antisieze. At the low torque specs you torque the bolts too wet vs dry specs are probably less than the variation between consumer level torque wrenches. It starts to get significantly different the higher you go.

Sent via....

Wait, you saying a Harbor Freight torque wrench isn’t accurate? [emoji33]🤣

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Believe it's 24 or 25 ft/lbs. I use antisieze on my Chamber Pros and it def helps. The ends of the bolts are still gonna corrode some because the antisieze gets washed off over time but whats left on the threads engaged in the wheel help a bunch

This ^^^

Of course, if you use a Harbor Freight torque wrench, it'll be more like 20ish-30ish :yup:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned Deff use anti seize. It has been a life saver for me here on the east coast. Makes the bolts come out super easy when you need them to come out

WiscoHR

IMG_1153.JPG
Here’s a little trick that worked for me. I was having trouble getting the bead tucked in on the Coppers. So I ran to the hardware store and picked up some 2 inch washers. Put them in as I worked around the tire with the screwdrivers. Solved the problem of the other side popping up when I’d get towards the end. This $6 trick saved me a lot of headaches. Hopefully it might help someone else.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
View attachment 3866
Here’s a little trick that worked for me. I was having trouble getting the bead tucked in on the Coppers. So I ran to the hardware store and picked up some 2 inch washers. Put them in as I worked around the tire with the screwdrivers. Solved the problem of the other side popping up when I’d get towards the end. This $6 trick saved me a lot of headaches. Hopefully it might help someone else.

That’s actually a good idea! Thanks for that