A BETTER BUDGET BOOST : Rancho 2" Sport JL Wrangler Rubicon Lift

Four Flusher

The pros of running drop brackets is that they'll correct your suspension geometry, give you a better ride and for cheap. The cons of drop brackets is that they get trashed on the rocks that you just paid good money to get further way from. In the end, it just depends on how you use your Jeep. If you don't do a whole lot of rock crawling, they're a good option to go with. If you play on the rocks, I would save your money and get adjustable lower arms.

Although the $600 Rancho lift is very tempting, When you add adjustable LCA from say EVO at $460 now you're over a grand. Adding fox shocks would add another $600 plus so you're not really talking apples and apples about the cost. But, I'm thinking about the EVO stage 2 and fox shocks, since I'd be adding the EVO LCAs anyway and I could add the other EVO bits down the road. I know you recommend both companies so perhaps it's not a fair question but I curious about your thoughts on comparing the two lifts, without considering the difference in cost.

thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Although the $600 Rancho lift is very tempting, When you add adjustable LCA from say EVO at $460 now you're over a grand. Adding fox shocks would add another $600 plus so you're not really talking apples and apples about the cost. But, I'm thinking about the EVO stage 2 and fox shocks, since I'd be adding the EVO LCAs anyway and I could add the other EVO bits down the road. I know you recommend both companies so perhaps it's not a fair question but I curious about your thoughts on comparing the two lifts, without considering the difference in cost.

thanks

As you know, we installed EVO control arms and still have them on our JL Wrangler. They are definitely some of the best arms that money can buy especially being that they come with Johnny Joints on both ends. I would still recommend them. That being said, there is no question in my mind that the Rancho Sport coils and shocks provide a SUPERIOR ride over factory coils with coil spacers, EVEN WITH a better shock paired with it. In the end, whatever shock you run can only do so much with a factory coil.

Four Flusher

As you know, we installed EVO control arms and still have them on our JL Wrangler. They are definitely some of the best arms that money can buy especially being that they come with Johnny Joints on both ends. I would still recommend them. That being said, there is no question in my mind that the Rancho Sport coils and shocks provide a SUPERIOR ride over factory coils with coil spacers, EVEN WITH a better shock paired with it. In the end, whatever shock you run can only do so much with a factory coil.

Actually, I was trying to compare the rancho coils and shocks with the EVO 2.5 enforcer stage 2 (with LCAs) kit with EVO coils and Fox shocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I was trying to compare the rancho coils and shocks with the EVO 2.5 enforcer stage 2 (with LCAs) kit with EVO coils and Fox shocks.

Ah, sorry about that. While I have some experience riding in a JL with EVO coils, they were with King Shocks. Needless to say, I couldn't say for sure how they would do with Fox shocks. Sorry.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Eddie, I have a question. For general off roading will I be able to fit 37" STT PRO'S on with the Mopar 2" lift? No rock crawling here in PA just trails. Love your channel btw. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Well I'm not Eddie, but more information will yield a more accurate response. What kind of Wrangler do you have? What wheels are you considering? Are are you considering 17" in 12.5 or 13.5? Quick answer to your question is yes if it's a Rubicon, otherwise no if it's a Sport, Sport S or Sahara.

mrosamilia

Well I'm not Eddie, but more information will yield a more accurate response. What kind of Wrangler do you have? What wheels are you considering? Are are you considering 17" in 12.5 or 13.5? Quick answer to your question is yes if it's a Rubicon, otherwise no if it's a Sport, Sport S or Sahara.
Yep sorry JL Rubicon Manual. Open as far as wheels. Not really looking at a superwide tire but would like to go 37 if possible. 17"

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sgt Beavis

I had the 3.5" non Rubicon suspension put on my JLUS last week. It certainly rides harder but it's not uncomfortable. The steering seems to be a little less precise than it was before. This is more pronounced at speeds above 70mph. That said, I'm pretty happy with it.

43576188382_f90e446245_b.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Eddie, How would you compare the coils from Evo, Dynatrac, and Rancho? Is one more comfortable than the other (ie softer?) Did you notice sad differences with loading between them? In your dynatrac video, I tried to look closely when you sat in the back tailgate area of the Jeep and it seemed the Dynatrac's didn't deflect much, which is a good thing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had the 3.5" non Rubicon suspension put on my JLUS last week. It certainly rides harder but it's not uncomfortable. The steering seems to be a little less precise than it was before. This is more pronounced at speeds above 70mph. That said, I'm pretty happy with it.

What psi are you running in your tires? If it's more than 30, bring it down to at least 30. That should help your ride comfort. Regarding steering, your caster is a bit off. Installing a set of Rancho drop brackets or adjustable lower arms to add in a bit more caster will help that out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, How would you compare the coils from Evo, Dynatrac, and Rancho? Is one more comfortable than the other (ie softer?) Did you notice sad differences with loading between them? In your dynatrac video, I tried to look closely when you sat in the back tailgate area of the Jeep and it seemed the Dynatrac's didn't deflect much, which is a good thing.

The only EVO setup I got to feel was with their original coils and paired up with Kings. Back then, even Mel wasn't too happy with the spring rate and was wanting to change it. I haven't tested what they are selling now so I couldn't say one way or another.

The Dynatac coils and Fox 2.0's feel firm and responsive but without feeling harsh. In my tests, I felt very little dive on braking, very little nose lift on acceleration and it cornered very flat. Loading up, I saw significantly less sag than I had with factory coils running spacers. Where I was most happy with it was how smooth they felt going over poorly maintained pavement or rough dirt roads.

The Rancho coils yielded more lift than Dynatrac and in the rear, I saw a bit over 3". The progressive rate coils do a great job of holding up weight and even loaded up, the rear end of our JL still sat at about 2"-2.5". Braking hard, I see little dive - little nose lift on acceleration and it too corners very flat. Even driving fast over rough trails feels good. Where I'm not as happy with them is driving over rough roads as in, poorly maintained pavement. Under these conditions, the springs seem to have a bit too much resilience or maybe more that the RS5000X shocks aren't able to offer enough dampening with such little movement in them. For the cost of the kit, it's easy for me to overlook this though.

Sgt Beavis

What psi are you running in your tires? If it's more than 30, bring it down to at least 30. That should help your ride comfort. Regarding steering, your caster is a bit off. Installing a set of Rancho drop brackets or adjustable lower arms to add in a bit more caster will help that out.

Thanks for the tire pressure advice. I’ll give it a shot.

I was wondering about those brackets. I asked Rancho about them on the other message board but hadn’t heard back. Anyways they’re pretty affordable so I’ll probably go that route.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the tire pressure advice. I’ll give it a shot.

I was wondering about those brackets. I asked Rancho about them on the other message board but hadn’t heard back. Anyways they’re pretty affordable so I’ll probably go that route.

If you don't do a whole lot of rock crawling, they'll be the way to go. If you do, I might consider getting adjustable lower arms.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I have a question. For general off roading will I be able to fit 37" STT PRO'S on with the Mopar 2" lift? No rock crawling here in PA just trails. Love your channel btw. Thanks in advance

Yep sorry JL Rubicon Manual. Open as far as wheels. Not really looking at a superwide tire but would like to go 37 if possible. 17"

Yeah, you can make them fit but you'll see some rubbing if you do any flexing.

NFRs2000NYC

Nah, I'm just exploring trails around Colorado and stuff.

I wheeled most of the super popular colorado trails (imogene, alpine loop, etc, basically the ones in the guide book) and there was definitely plenty of flexing, especially when nearing the top of the peaks.

Gcabibi

Can I ask a question of the members who have the mopar lift? Mine on road in windy conditions is very squirrelly and even scary at times if I’m pulling a load, about 1500 pounds. I’ve contacted mopar but no resolution. Any feedback would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app