JL Build quality?

NFRs2000NYC

Those arent even that bad, I've seen some that are literally like swiss cheese and are definitely terrible and clearly something was wrong with the welding setup.

NFRs2000NYC

Some are REAL bad...

17fe3830-9afd-46dd-886d-020442acaeb4-jpeg.70056

20180722_082932-jpg.69556

img_0551-jpg.68379

klv30907

There are quite a few documented problems with the JL currently...frame welds being the biggest one, with numerous lawsuits and quite a few NHTSA complaints which will hopefully result in recalls/FCA admitting it's a serious issue with SOME JLs (seems to be mostly those made in Feb.) . A few steering issues, door leak issues, heat blowing for no reason issues, uconnect issues, etc. There definitely are some areas of concern, the frame welds being the one that would keep me at bay personally until I see that it has been corrected...which it seems to be with the new production runs.

How do I know when mine was built? I’ve had mine a week—I think it’s love!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

darrenroos

Just heard back from my dealer, “I talked to my field rep yesterday, he told me FCA is aware of this issue and they are working on a process to address the welds. He told me he should have the information within the next couple of weeks and will forward me that info with the list of VIN numbers involved.”

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just heard back from my dealer, “I talked to my field rep yesterday, he told me FCA is aware of this issue and they are working on a process to address the welds. He told me he should have the information within the next couple of weeks and will forward me that info with the list of VIN numbers involved.”

Thanks for posting up the update you got. Looking forward to seeing what they do for you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just had the chance to crawl under an european rubicon unlimited, to look for sruff like welds. Everything was great there. If mine comes in this condition, I'm happy

A lot of the poor quality welds were things we saw early on. Heck, even my early build looks okay and I would assume that things are a lot better now. Glad to hear you confirm as much.

tallguy26

Most likely robot. There are tons of factors that can cause the weld porosity that I'm seeing in these pictures. Contamination on parts, low gas flow, poor part fitment, etc. This is the issues you would expect to see with a new line launch. Especially if it is sporadic. I'm not sure how jeep does it but at the automotive plant I work every car passes thru an area where it is welded by hand on the more difficult spots and the robot welds are inspected and touched up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app