high-clearance exhaust?

I'm looking at exhaust for my incoming JL. Two reasons. First, I have to admit vanity. I like volume but not to an overbearing extent. Second, I don't want to tear up my exhaust when I'm out crawling in these beautiful Colorado mountains.

As far as high-clearance options go, there seems to be

AFE Rock Basher 49-48068
Magnaflow Rock Crawler 19386
Magnaflow Offroad Pro 19387
Flowmaster Outlaw Catback 817818
Flowmaster muffler delete 817837
Borla Climber 140747
Mbrp catback S5531304

Personally, I'm leaning toward trying the Flowmaster Outlaw (their loudest muffler [emoji53] ). I just like the rougher sound that's typical for FM. However, I don't want to end up hating my exhaust because I can't hear the CB conversation on the trail or get a headache from drone. I did the muffler delete (kept the resonator) on my JK. It was ok, but I definitely want something different for the JL.

I don't have any experience with the Borla Climber, and I can't find enough video clips or reviews to form an opinion. Same with the MBRP.

I would appreciate any thoughts, experience, or insight on these options.

Sent from my SM-G892U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Please take no offense to this. I live in Colorado, and if you follow any of the Colorado specific threads elsewhere you'll know that trail closure is an ever looming threat, often times due to individuals who abuse the privilege. Of course, this is not specific just to Colorado. Purchasing an exhaust system for increased volume on a vehicle that you will be taking on public and private lands to go off-roading only provides ammunition to those who wish to continue to limit access to trails. Please choose your exhaust wisely.

Please take no offense to this. I live in Colorado, and if you follow any of the Colorado specific threads elsewhere you'll know that trail closure is an ever looming threat, often times due to individuals who abuse the privilege. Of course, this is not specific just to Colorado. Purchasing an exhaust system for increased volume on a vehicle that you will be taking on public and private lands to go off-roading only provides ammunition to those who wish to continue to limit access to trails. Please choose your exhaust wisely.

I definitely appreciate the input. That is an angle I had not considered. Based on what I know of Borla and the little I can find on the Climber's muffler construction, that may be a better middle ground to satisfy my requirements and not become yet another example of what may be upsetting those who actively oppose offloading. Thank you

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
If you did increase your exhaust note by dropping an LS in, then I am definitely on your side. Lol. I have a work acquaintance that looks forward to delivery of his turbo, and can't wait to install a blow off valve to increase sound. I don't know much about turbos and blow off valves, but I hope he is wrong. Now hopefully we can mod the diesel to roll coal. :icon_crazy:

NFRs2000NYC

IMHO, and only IMHO, no exhaust makes the v6 sound better. People with a brain that get an exhaust on the Wrangler do it for offroading purposes. They give the engine more sound, but it's not what anyone would go "damn, that sounds great"....like a Hellcat or something. I would recommend you get the quietest of the offroad exhausts that you can, as to not annoy yourself with the drone....especially if you get tires that put your gearing into that "sweet spot" of droning, around 2200rpm.

captainrandal

IMHO, and only IMHO, no exhaust makes the v6 sound better. People with a brain that get an exhaust on the Wrangler do it for offroading purposes. They give the engine more sound, but it's not what anyone would go "damn, that sounds great"....like a Hellcat or something. I would recommend you get the quietest of the offroad exhausts that you can, as to not annoy yourself with the drone....especially if you get tires that put your gearing into that "sweet spot" of droning, around 2200rpm.
I wholly agree with you. If you want a deep throat sound, you need a deep throat engine. It's like trying to make a sax sound like a tuba.

Randy

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

Wtf? Hippies and tree huggers mot allowed here.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I'm looking at exhaust for my incoming JL. Two reasons. First, I have to admit vanity. I like volume but not to an overbearing extent. Second, I don't want to tear up my exhaust when I'm out crawling in these beautiful Colorado mountains.

As far as high-clearance options go, there seems to be

AFE Rock Basher 49-48068
Magnaflow Rock Crawler 19386
Magnaflow Offroad Pro 19387
Flowmaster Outlaw Catback 817818
Flowmaster muffler delete 817837
Borla Climber 140747
Mbrp catback S5531304

Personally, I'm leaning toward trying the Flowmaster Outlaw (their loudest muffler [emoji53] ). I just like the rougher sound that's typical for FM. However, I don't want to end up hating my exhaust because I can't hear the CB conversation on the trail or get a headache from drone. I did the muffler delete (kept the resonator) on my JK. It was ok, but I definitely want something different for the JL.

I don't have any experience with the Borla Climber, and I can't find enough video clips or reviews to form an opinion. Same with the MBRP.

I would appreciate any thoughts, experience, or insight on these options.

Honestly, if I were you, WAIT until you get it. Hear the OEM sound and examine the OEM location. Then go from there. You may be happy and just leave it. If you do decide to switch out the system though, hit me up if you need any welding though. I'd be happy to help.

That is wise advice. Patience has never been my strong suit, but I will probably be doing myself a favor if I slow down and wait.... and I'll almost definitely be taking you up on that offer at some point. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G892U using JL Wrangler mobile app

keviper1

I’m getting the Magnaflow Rock Crawler 19386 installed this week while I’m on vacation. I can report back if you’d like Next week when I’m back in town. I did mine exclusively for off-roading as I couldn’t care less about how loud my Jeep is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you did increase your exhaust note by dropping an LS in, then I am definitely on your side. Lol. I have a work acquaintance that looks forward to delivery of his turbo, and can't wait to install a blow off valve to increase sound. I don't know much about turbos and blow off valves, but I hope he is wrong. Now hopefully we can mod the diesel to roll coal. :icon_crazy:

Blow off valves? 🤯 jeez. Prolly gonna put 22s on it and a stance that’s hella flush lol.

keviper1

You should do it yourself and save some money. Very simple install

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yeah normally I would, but summer time is my busy season for work so I have no time and figured I’d just have it installed while traveling.

That being said, the exhaust is on and I like it. Not a huge fan of how loud it is though. Anyone know a good resonator I can use to reduce volume?

Drone isn’t terrible, but it’s there. Overall super happy with the new exhaust. I’ve noticed MPG is actually a bit better in stop and go, but seems about the same on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk