Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD - Yea or Nay?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may or may not have seen in the news, the latest in JL Wrangler leaks is that Jeep will be offering Sahara models with an optional Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD system. Far from being anything new, the Selec-Trac was first introduced back in 1983 for use on full-size Jeeps and continued to be used on various Jeep and even Dodge vehicles well into the early 2000's. Of course, an automatic transfer case like this would make the JL perform well in inclement weather, slick and rough road conditions and without having to shift a transfer case lever. Essentially, make it behave more like many modern AWD vehicles today. The downside to a system like this is that they typically lack a low-range. Sport and Rubicon models are slated to still have a traditional manually operated transfer case.

So, what do you guys think? You think a 2.72:1 Selec-Trac system will be a seller?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It will be a seller for all the soccer moms and dads out there that never wheel there Jeep. Not having to pull a lever and be able to have it adjust on the fly will be the selling point to them

JTCO

Meme King
I think that is very similar to what some of the WJs used as an option and it's quite popular for that application.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I think that's why it'll only be offered on Sahara's. FCA is really going after the soccer moms out there and I think that's a smart move on their part.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, I'm going to see if we can get the Yellow and Nacho added to the Dream Builder :)

wario

As some of you may or may not have seen in the news, the latest in JL Wrangler leaks is that Jeep will be offering Sahara models with an optional Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD system. Far from being anything new, the Selec-Trac was first introduced back in 1983 for use on full-size Jeeps and continued to be used on various Jeep and even Dodge vehicles well into the early 2000's. Of course, an automatic transfer case like this would make the JL perform well in inclement weather, slick and rough road conditions and without having to shift a transfer case lever. Essentially, make it behave more like many modern AWD vehicles today. The downside to a system like this is that they typically lack a low-range. Sport and Rubicon models are slated to still have a traditional manually operated transfer case.

So, what do you guys think? You think a 2.72:1 Selec-Trac system will be a seller?

I agree with the majority of the other folks here. Think it has the potential to sell well - but, I can already hear the complaints from folks who buy one, then grow some interest in wheeling and realize that it's not a real jeep...

RMC2

It will sell to a lot of people, but I wouldn't get it. I would get it on a new truck maybe, but not a jeep destined for off road. Of course my jeep stays on the highway a lot, so ........

DINKELROC

Should be a big sell along with the 20" wheels with 35's, and the grumpy grills. I'll stick with the Rubicon, thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While definitely not for me personally, I can see this being a big seller. I think it was a smart move to offer this system on the Sahara.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Without question, people who truly off road their Wranglers make up an extremely small percent of all the Wranglers sold. I would imagine that something like this would sell quite well for most of the people who are shopping for one.

Buster3479

I'm really curious about how this would impact the Jeep Jamboree crowd, which the Jeep brand heavily promotes. For a portion of people in between soccer moms and many of us, the Jamboree is as offroad as many people get. Many of the Jamborees have a low range requirement, either they'd have to change their rules, or prohibit some Wranglers from some of their events.

Mabar

I'm really curious about how this would impact the Jeep Jamboree crowd, which the Jeep brand heavily promotes. For a portion of people in between soccer moms and many of us, the Jamboree is as offroad as many people get. Many of the Jamborees have a low range requirement, either they'd have to change their rules, or prohibit some Wranglers from some of their events.

Yes, the Jeep Jamborees I have attended DO require a Jeep (any Jeep) with a low range. I don't see why Jeep Jamboree would have to change their requirement, but...

They could offer select Jamborees with much easier rated trails for Jeeps without a low range. Then Jeeps without a low range would be allowed on ONLY those easy trails

wanderer

Sect tracQuestion

I owned an h3 humer before my jku. It was full time 4wh drive but it had lockers front and rear and a low range. What is th possibility that jeep selectrac is going to be the same. I don't ember the axel ratios though but a select trac with high an low. Full time and front and rear lockers maybe pretty darn tempting I even with a 2.72 low range

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I owned an h3 humer before my jku. It was full time 4wh drive but it had lockers front and rear and a low range. What is th possibility that jeep selectrac is going to be the same. I don't ember the axel ratios though but a select trac with high an low. Full time and front and rear lockers maybe pretty darn tempting I even with a 2.72 low range

Although it wouldn't be fore me, I have no doubts there will be an audience for this setup for sure.