Front Bumper Skid Plate Stripped Bolts

GrayBeard

Anyone else having issues with the JKUR front bumper steel skid plate mounting bolts striping out.

When we installed our winch, we had to remove the front skid plate and when reinstalling the skid plate several of the bolts stripped out when trying to reinstall. Yesterday we did another winch install on another JKUR and had same issue.

I'm leaning towards the metal clips that the bolts screw into being of poor quality and possibly only being good for 1 or 2 bolt installs and/or the mounting bolts have a very thin thread. All the bolts show stripping at the exact same location on each bolt prior to being fully seated. Thinking about replacing with quality metal clips and bolts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you meant to say JLUR? Even if not, the bolts are pretty much the same. The speed clips shouldn't cause stripping but if you aren't careful in aligning the holes before screwing them in, as in, you tighten one before making sure the rest are lined up, the bolts will get chewed up on the side of the skid itself.