WAYALIFE JL WRANGLER Overhead Full Size CB Radio Mount

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While I have used a Cobra 75WXST in a few of my older Jeeps and still use portable Midland 75-822 from time to time in my Jeep JL Wrangler, what I've really been wanting to do is install a full size CB Radio, much like a Cobra 29. Only problem is, Jeep made it very difficult to find a place and a way to install something so big or at least, not without having to drill and or cut into the nice interior trim. Needless to say, I've given this a lot of thought and finally came up with something that I'm happy with.

As you can see, the mount I designed and made is 100% bolt on, as in, there is NO DRILLING or CUTTING required and it allows you to install a full size CB Radio above your head and located between the driver and passenger seats.
20180710173922-ee5b575d-me.jpg

Here you can see that the CB Radio sits above the rear view mirror allowing it to still be used and that the mounting bar sits far enough back to allow the sun visors to still be rotated down and without any issues.
20180710182422-91fab30f-me.jpg

I also made sure that the mounting bar wouldn't interfere with the Freedom Panel latches.
20180710172521-235d1e17-me.jpg

And of course, the Freedom Panel locks clear the mounting bar as well.
20180710172523-8bd9a510-me.jpg

My mounting bar is strong enough to support the weight of a full size CB Radio and yet has a small enough profile to not obstruct your view of the sky.
20180710181757-1580d4bb-me.jpg

And there you have it, my solution to installing a full size CB Radio in a Jeep JL Wrangler. What do you think? :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice idea! What did you use? Looks like a soft top bow flipped upside down

I used rectangular steel tube for the main part of the bar. I also had to make mounting brackets to secure it in place.

I love any DIY project like this !! I’m sure over time that bar would drive me nuts but it’s a great solution if you want a overhead mounted CB.

Just out of curiosity, why would the bar drive you nuts?

Is any vendor making a fender/hood cb antenna mount? I've got the Cooltech for my CB on the tailgate, but I am also mounting a GMRS radio and I want to put the antenna on a fender/hood mount, like what has been made for the JK.

Nice setup, btw!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is any vendor making a fender/hood cb antenna mount? I've got the Cooltech for my CB on the tailgate, but I am also mounting a GMRS radio and I want to put the antenna on a fender/hood mount, like what has been made for the JK.

Nice setup, btw!

I'd have to look to make sure but I would imagine that you might be able to use the same mount that's made for the JK.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who've been wondering about the status of this CB mount, I'm happy to say that I just did a test fit today with the first production mount and have verified that it WILL WORK with a soft top.

20180731212000-7af7cdf1-me.jpg

Again, this is a NO DRILL and NO CUTTING CB mount. :thumb:

Also, I just had brackets laser cut and ordered steel to have the bars made and I'm hoping to have at least 20 of these ready to ship in about 2 weeks... maybe less. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hell yeah! Put me down for a pre-order, lol. Thanks for going out of your way to hook us up with another awesome custom solution. I definitely need to ordered some Wayalife/JL Wrangler stickers and decals too.

Glad to hear you're interested in one. :cool:

CGRDT

Hey Eddie - couple questions. I was looking on mine and was wondering where exactly it mounts up on the sport bar. I have the Mopar grab handles in mine that use the 2 screws at the top. Does it use those? Second - I have a Uniden 520. Was figuring I could tap new holes for smaller bracket. Any reason the 520 wouldn’t fit?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie - couple questions. I was looking on mine and was wondering where exactly it mounts up on the sport bar. I have the Mopar grab handles in mine that use the 2 screws at the top. Does it use those? Second - I have a Uniden 520. Was figuring I could tap new holes for smaller bracket. Any reason the 520 wouldn’t fit?

You'll have to forgive me for being so reluctant to show how my CB mount attaches to the roll bars. Being that I'm trying to make and sell these, I didn't want anyone else to copy my design. I will post up a complete installation write-up and video showing how everything works as soon as they are available for sale.

Regarding the CB mounting holes, I have just been using a standard mount for a Cobra 29 and that has holes that measure 4.75" apart. I am also including holes for a race radio mount and they have holes that are 2.625" apart. Anything outside of that, you would need to drill new mounting holes but that should be very easy to do.

I hope that helps.

CGRDT

You'll have to forgive me for being so reluctant to show how my CB mount attaches to the roll bars. Being that I'm trying to make and sell these, I didn't want anyone else to copy my design. I will post up a complete installation write-up and video showing how everything works as soon as they are available for sale.

Regarding the CB mounting holes, I have just been using a standard mount for a Cobra 29 and that has holes that measure 4.75" apart. I am also including holes for a race radio mount and they have holes that are 2.625" apart. Anything outside of that, you would need to drill new mounting holes but that should be very easy to do.

I hope that helps.

Completely understand. Just wondered if my grab handles would be in the way. I’ll wait for the install instructions. BUT definitely interested!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Buggaboo

Dig it, clean application and it appears well thought out. Nice solution to your problem.

Cheers,
Buggaboo