So I am getting close to ordering my JLUR. Should I order the steel bumpers?

wibornz

I like the look of the steel factory bumpers, but I am thinking that I can get a better set up bumpers for the front and back for less than 1295 dollars. I have no experience with what and who is making a good bumper for the JL. I do not like the loop on the front bumper and I like the winch recessed in the front bumper. I like the rear bumper to have the tire carrier to get the 37 in stt pro and beadlock wheel off the tailgate.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and give me some guidance. I can buy the bumpers down the road as it will be three years before they have to be on the JL or should I just order the steel bumpers and be done with it? I am buying the JL as a retirement give to myself. I wife retires in three years so I have time to set the JL up right. I retire very soon. The jeep will be used to off road from AZ to AK in retirement. Think mountain passes and some moderate rock climbing......

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While I love the look of the steel front bumper, the rear bumper is kind of a joke. If it were me, I'd save your money and order your JL Wrangler without them. I would recommend that you give LoD a look.

20180320092349-4f5dde94.jpg

YAHAHA

I love the front steel bumper because of the way it looks. We probably won't use the bumpers to their full functionality like Eddie and some the others here who do more extreme off-roading. Based on their experience, the rear bumper does seem to be somewhat of a joke.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

MoparTH

I ordered mine without the steel bumpers, but I'm sure if I see a used front one for sale later on at a good price, I would upgrade to that.

Dank

Also ordered mine without the bumpers. I saw Eddie's video in Moab and that convinced me to go after market.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I skipped the steel bumpers. For the costs of the steel bumper package + the winch mounting plate + hoop, I was able to purchase an LOD stubby and a Warn Zeon 10-s.

The Warn bumpers look pretty nice too. I was considering them for my JK before I jumped ship. I need to find out if it’ll fit the led fogs tho... I’m not giving those up.

wibornz

Well, I have not found a front bumper yet, but after some shopping, I think there is no way that I would order the Jeep steep bumpers for the cost, there are many way better bumpers out there.

For the rear, I like the looks of this bumper and tire carrier from roamoffroad.com

bbd7c4d8258d1543cd3b-1920x480.jpg

It is about 700 bucks, but that is way cheaper than the steel bumper + the tailgate re-enforcement kit and the kit to move the mount the bigger spare tire. It also has a hitch so there is no real reason to order the tow package either as I will have to wire for a round trailer plug anyways.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I have not found a front bumper yet, but after some shopping, I think there is no way that I would order the Jeep steep bumpers for the cost, there are many way better bumpers out there.

For the rear, I like the looks of this bumper and tire carrier from roamoffroad.com

View attachment 3491

It is about 700 bucks, but that is way cheaper than the steel bumper + the tailgate re-enforcement kit and the kit to move the mount the bigger spare tire. It also has a hitch so there is no real reason to order the tow package either as I will have to wire for a round trailer plug anyways.

That ROAM setup looks pretty solid. I really like how it moves the weight of the spare onto the frame and has such a tall spindle. Should help prevent rattling well.

NFRs2000NYC

Is there an advantage to winches set inside the front bumper or on top like the LOD?

Not really, just blocking the winch from UV a little better and a slightly more streamlined look. I have my winch topmounted on my JK, and on my JL, I'll probably look to countersink it a bit, just think it looks slightly cleaner, but other than that, no real advantages.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an advantage to winches set inside the front bumper or on top like the LOD?

The advantage of having the winch between the frame rails is that you get better air flow into your engine. At highway speeds, your winch will actually deflect airflow up and over your hood. The advantage of setting the winch up on top is that you can retain your fog lights.

GhostJL

The advantage of having the winch between the frame rails is that you get better air flow into your engine. At highway speeds, your winch will actually deflect airflow up and over your hood. The advantage of setting the winch up on top is that you can retain your fog lights.

Thanks! Love the quality of LOD bumpers...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was in the same boat wondering if I should go for the steel bumper package. But then saw Eddies trip and that solved my question.

So now I'm looking at aftermarket options [emoji16]

Options will be harder to come by in your neck of the woods but more will be available soon.

JL5009

Options will be harder to come by in your neck of the woods but more will be available soon.
[emoji1] We have a lot of distributors here and they are very quick in the game to get us parts.

Plus the internet and online shipping is fast as most send the parts through FedEx, DHL or UPS. I have ordered parts that arrived within 3 days, now it's just a waiting game for the brands to start making parts.

Only in a Jeep will your truly feel the freedom in any trail..

Buggaboo

IMG_0941.jpg

I really like the looks of the factory steel bumpers. The 10S is a tight fit and a pain to mount, but I like the way it turned out. Figure I can change the bumper up later if I beat it up on something.

JCR Prerunner tube
Warn Zeon 10S platinum
Warn winch plate
Cascadia 4x4 license plate mount
Factor 55 Flatlink Expert
Factor 55 1.5” Hawse

Cheers,
Buggaboo

Last edited: