Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I am getting close to ordering my JLUR. Should I order the steel bumpers?

Fresh Catch

So I am getting close to ordering my JLUR. Should I order the steel bumpers?

I like the look of the steel factory bumpers, but I am thinking that I can get a better set up bumpers for the front and back for less than 1295 dollars. I have no experience with what and who is making a good bumper for the JL. I do not like the loop on the front bumper and I like the winch recessed in the front bumper. I like the rear bumper to have the tire carrier to get the 37 in stt pro and beadlock wheel off the tailgate.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and give me some guidance. I can buy the bumpers down the road as it will be three years before they have to be on the JL or should I just order the steel bumpers and be done with it? I am buying the JL as a retirement give to myself. I wife retires in three years so I have time to set the JL up right. I retire very soon. The jeep will be used to off road from AZ to AK in retirement. Think mountain passes and some moderate rock climbing......

While I love the look of the steel front bumper, the rear bumper is kind of a joke. If it were me, I'd save your money and order your JL Wrangler without them. I would recommend that you give LoD a look.

Hooked
    I love the front steel bumper because of the way it looks. We probably won't use the bumpers to their full functionality like Eddie and some the others here who do more extreme off-roading. Based on their experience, the rear bumper does seem to be somewhat of a joke.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Fresh Catch
    I ordered mine without the steel bumpers, but I'm sure if I see a used front one for sale later on at a good price, I would upgrade to that.
    2018 Rubicon Unlimited Sting-Gray
    2017 Challenger Destroyer Gray Scat Pack Shaker (for sale)
    2014 Tundra

Fresh Catch
    Also ordered mine without the bumpers. I saw Eddie's video in Moab and that convinced me to go after market.

Knows a Thing or Two doubletapdaddy's Avatar
    I skipped the steel bumpers. For the costs of the steel bumper package + the winch mounting plate + hoop, I was able to purchase an LOD stubby and a Warn Zeon 10-s.

The Warn bumpers look pretty nice too. I was considering them for my JK before I jumped ship. I need to find out if itíll fit the led fogs tho... Iím not giving those up.

Fresh Catch
    Well, I have not found a front bumper yet, but after some shopping, I think there is no way that I would order the Jeep steep bumpers for the cost, there are many way better bumpers out there.

For the rear, I like the looks of this bumper and tire carrier from roamoffroad.com

bbd7c4d8258d1543cd3b-1920x480.jpg

It is about 700 bucks, but that is way cheaper than the steel bumper + the tailgate re-enforcement kit and the kit to move the mount the bigger spare tire. It also has a hitch so there is no real reason to order the tow package either as I will have to wire for a round trailer plug anyways.
    Last edited by wibornz; 07-18-2018 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wibornz View Post
    Well, I have not found a front bumper yet, but after some shopping, I think there is no way that I would order the Jeep steep bumpers for the cost, there are many way better bumpers out there.

For the rear, I like the looks of this bumper and tire carrier from roamoffroad.com

bbd7c4d8258d1543cd3b-1920x480.jpg

It is about 700 bucks, but that is way cheaper than the steel bumper + the tailgate re-enforcement kit and the kit to move the mount the bigger spare tire. It also has a hitch so there is no real reason to order the tow package either as I will have to wire for a round trailer plug anyways.
    That ROAM setup looks pretty solid. I really like how it moves the weight of the spare onto the frame and has such a tall spindle. Should help prevent rattling well.

Fresh Catch

Bumper design...

Is there an advantage to winches set inside the front bumper or on top like the LOD?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast