Folks that have traded their JK for a JL, or looking to do so..

vitodivita

Howdy everyone,

First post over here on JL Wrangler, I've got a 2015 JKU, 37's, lockers, pro rock etc, well invested in mods, and paid off. I'm looking to hear some stories of folks who have made the jump over to the JL, and how they like it? Did you get a decent value on your trade, if you did trade? How did you justify the move?

I love what Jeep has done to this new generation of Wrangler, have followed it for a while, really interested in a Rubicon JLU with absolutely minimal modifications, as I feel it's more than capable for what I need it to do.

Thanks

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll get more for your money if you sell your Jeep to a private party. A lot of the mods you have won't add up to much if anything on a dealer trade in.

That being said, I had 2 JK's and so it was pretty easy for me to let go of one for a JL. That being said, if I only had one, it would have been a lot harder for me to make the switch if only because my JK's are really built well and the JL most likely won't be able to come close to their performance for quite some time. Of course, from what you've said about your JK, I would make the jump if only because the JL is so much of a nicer Jeep. Also, getting it to about where you are at now won't cost nearly as much.

vitodivita

Thank you Eddie for your response. Private market is definitely going to be the better direction for selling this current Jeep, I agree.

and yes, thats how I'm looking to justify the purchase, is that the Rubicon already has lockers, and has a lot of things that I had to purchase extra on the JK sport. The JK itself was 35-40k new and the mods were up and over 20k. My internal debate is whether to keep it for longer, and let it depreciate farther, or move on sooner for a chance to drive the new JL at a "lower cost".

YAHAHA

We traded in our 2018 JKRR 3-door for a 2018 JLUR 5-door. The JK was a step up from our TJ and the JL is an equal step up from the JK.

We only had the JKRR for around 2 months and I was looking into a number of modifications. All of the modifications I was planning to make on the JKRR were stock on the JLUR (grab handles, bigger tires, grill inserts, infotainment upgrade). Since the Jeep would be my daily driver, I preferred the improved technology of the JL. The deciding factor was my wife. She drove the JKURR & JLUR back to back on the same day and I told her to pick the one she liked better. She chose the JL.

Not saying the JK is a bad Jeep but the stock JK would require modifications to match the JL. So we justified the cost increase of the JL that way.

So for us and our needs, the JL was the right choice.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Last edited:

Gumby1996

So, I stupidly traded my 14 JK for a 2016 Cherokee, with all the bells and whistles. Fast forward a 1.5 years and I want my JK back. Talked with the wife and she agreed that we could trade in the Cherokee, but it won’t be for a few more months. 🤨. I am going to trade it in and take a bit of a hit, but a JL Rubicon is calling my name!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

artcicfox

I didn’t feel like dealing with private people. So many people want top dollar for basic JKs but i got decent money for my 2013 rubicon on 37s. I’ll be honest i love being able to start fresh again and i have been nothing but happy with the JL. For me the 8 speed tranny is enough to justify the trade. It’s night and day diff. So much better then the JK. All the little things are great too but honestly I’ve been nothing but happy with mine. And within the next year it will be locked on 37s just like my JK.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I didn’t feel like dealing with private people. So many people want top dollar for basic JKs but i got decent money for my 2013 rubicon on 37s. I’ll be honest i love being able to start fresh again and i have been nothing but happy with the JL. For me the 8 speed tranny is enough to justify the trade. It’s night and day diff. So much better then the JK. All the little things are great too but honestly I’ve been nothing but happy with mine. And within the next year it will be locked on 37s just like my JK.

I don't have my JL yet, but nearly my feelings exactly. I could not be happier for what I was offered in trade for my JK. The fact that I don't have to deal with tire kickers is an added bonus. I also am loving the thought of starting fresh again. Learned lots of lessons with the JK that I hope to avoid this time around.

rexlba

Traded my 2013 JKU Rubicon for a new JL. Wasn’t hard for me. I paid 31k for my rubi and added 3.5 rock krawler lift and 35’s. Ended up getting 28,150 from the dealer for it and only owed 16. I am super happy with the JL. It is my 5th jeep and by far the best. Getting ready to add my lift in a couple weeks.

darrenroos

I think it would be wiser to let all of the recalls get worked out in 2018 and wait for the 2019 or 2020 JL; however, that said, for the past 20 years I have driven a YJ and/or JK, couldn’t wait for the 2019 or 2020, got a 2018 JL and absolutely LOVE it! There is something very unique and awesome about them.

GrayBeard

I sold my 2016 JKU Sport, which was moderately built. I definitely got more selling it than trade-in would have given.

I've had nunerous Jeep over the last 40 years and my JLUR is my first Rubicon. Obviously the JLs are much more advanced and better built than any previously built Jeeps. For the moderate wheeling we do, this JLUR with our 2" lift and 35" tires is perfect. The only regret, I won't be doing a lot of mods.

I say, go for[emoji4][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

avnmech

Traded my 2013 JKU Rubicon for a new JL. Wasn’t hard for me. I paid 31k for my rubi and added 3.5 rock krawler lift and 35’s. Ended up getting 28,150 from the dealer for it and only owed 16. I am super happy with the JL. It is my 5th jeep and by far the best. Getting ready to add my lift in a couple weeks.

I owned a 08 JKUX and the little 3.8 was very under powered, and on its second motor which was eating about 5 quarts of oil every gas fill up, with was only about 220 miles. Sad thing is I had sunk so much money, blood, sweat, and tears into my JKUX that I was very reluctant to get rid of it, but 10 years makes a HUGE difference and my 2018 it night and day compared to my under powered oil burning 3.8 with a 4 speed auto. 20180621_174612.jpegIMG_1459.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fetzer

I owned a 08 JKUX and the little 3.8 was very under powered, and on its second motor which was eating about 5 quarts of oil every gas fill up, with was only about 220 miles. Sad thing is I had sunk so much money, blood, sweat, and tears into my JKUX that I was very reluctant to get rid of it, but 10 years makes a HUGE difference and my 2018 it night and day compared to my under powered oil burning 3.8 with a 4 speed auto. View attachment 3318View attachment 3319

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I could not agree more. 10 years makes one hell of a difference. I had an offer to buy my 2008 JKU out of the blue which got me to begin my search for a new ride. After one test drive of the JLUR, I placed my order. Very happy with my decision! (And thankful for the offer!)IMG_0460.JPG

NFRs2000NYC

Howdy everyone,

First post over here on JL Wrangler, I've got a 2015 JKU, 37's, lockers, pro rock etc, well invested in mods, and paid off. I'm looking to hear some stories of folks who have made the jump over to the JL, and how they like it? Did you get a decent value on your trade, if you did trade? How did you justify the move?

I love what Jeep has done to this new generation of Wrangler, have followed it for a while, really interested in a Rubicon JLU with absolutely minimal modifications, as I feel it's more than capable for what I need it to do.

Thanks

I traded my 2012 JKUSahara for a 2014 JKUR.....I paid 34.7K for my sahara, drove it for 2 years, and 23000 miles, and traded it in for $32K. Keep in mind, because I traded it in for 32K towards my 44K JKUR, I didnt have to pay taxes on the 32K, so that saved a bunch of money...so you'd probably need to sell it privately for more to equal the value. I stripped all my mods, and transferred them over to the JKUR....and the OEM parts were all in brand new condition since I took them off the day I got it. On my JKUR that will be going away for a diesel JL, things get tricky. The dealer will GLADLY take my Jeep and give me top dollar, but it's modded to hell....and now I can't really transfer anything over other than the winch...so I have to decide, do I sell it privately as is, or spend the time to strip it all, put on all the OEM parts (that are brand new, still have crayon marks on tires) and sell mods privately....it all depends how much work I want to commit to it. Ideally, I'd like to just sell it privately for a reasonable amount and have it go to a good home. My main reason for the trade is the diesel, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I love some of the other things, like heated steering wheel, the 8.4" uconnect, modern bluetooth unlike my ancient 830 nav, etc.

Long story short, unlike 99% of vehicles, the best value on a wrangler goes to the first owner....they get the best value thanks to the insanely good residual value of the wrangler.

Dice23

I invested about 15 grand in my 2016 Jeep JK Sport S 2 door. Regeared to 4.56 with a true trac added to the rear. Put a lift with new control arms and adjustable track bars, borla cat back dual exit exhaust. New front and rear bumpers and new wheels and 35” tires. I also upgraded the sound system by buying a touch screen stereo, replaced all 8 speakers for Kicker ksc model. Installed a 4 channel amp to power all of them. Put 2 10” subs powered by a 2 channel amp in the rear. I added 4 led light bars connected to an s pod. Everyday dreaming it would drive off a cliff on its own just to get a new Rubicon 2 door 6 speed JL.

Last edited: