New JL Windshield

BreesJL

Hey guys and gals! Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with cracked windshields in the new JL?? I’ve cracked 2 in the last month, and can’t even blame it on something fun. Just daily driving. No recollection of any rocks hitting it either time. Wondering if there is some defect (besides my driving 🤷🏻*♀️)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While we haven't had any cracks yet on our JL Wrangler, we've had TONS of cracks on our Jeeps over the years. The near vertical and very flat windshield are pretty much rock targets and there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

That being said, I know that Dynatrac has already broken 2 windshield just like you and at least according to them, they started at points where there were no rock hits.

JLF

Hey guys and gals! Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with cracked windshields in the new JL?? I’ve cracked 2 in the last month, and can’t even blame it on something fun. Just daily driving. No recollection of any rocks hitting it either time. Wondering if there is some defect (besides my driving 🤷🏻*♀️)

Cracked mine within the first 10 miles of ownership. Some unknown rock chip on the interstate. Meh, just another day in the life... Still all smiles on this side of the keyboard though...

JLF

Nah, leave it. I've got zero deductible insurance and since it's on the edge, I'll just let it go. When it eventually spiderwebs then we'll see... Yesterday I took it through a car wash and was for sure thinking between the water jet-like pressure and being flogged by the cleaning apparatus that it would spread, nope.

Zevulin

After picking mine up in February, I have had a crack and I’m getting it replaced tomorrow. Safe lite seems very expensive but some others can’t get the glass yet?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

One good thing about Florida is windshield replacement is free, policyholders with comprehensive insurance do not have to pay a deductible to replace front glass, the wavier does not apply to any other glass on the vehicle. I have a 2017 JKU Rubi and I’m on my 3rd windshield, all replaced by Safelight.[emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

YAHAHA

We got a large rock chip this weekend. Thought about getting it filled before it cracks but since it will probably crack anyhow, we will probably replace it.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

BreesJL

While we haven't had any cracks yet on our JL Wrangler, we've had TONS of cracks on our Jeeps over the years. The near vertical and very flat windshield are pretty much rock targets and there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

That being said, I know that Dynatrac has already broken 2 windshield just like you and at least according to them, they started at points where there were no rock hits.

Thanks for the reply. We never had any issues with our 98 TJ, so I a bit surprised to have cracked 2 so far in the JL. I’d like to be putting $1000 into the suspension instead of new windshields, but it’s all good.

BreesJL

It looks like the slope angle on the JL has improved as compared to the JK. I think I have gone through 4 or 5 windshields on the JK. That’s unfortunate that the JL is cracking from unknown reasons. View attachment 3298

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yeah, hoping not to make a habit of this. Rather be dumping $$ into suspension 🤷🏻*♀️

Mine has a nice long crack 2/3 across the middle, starting at the upper passenger side corner. It was a rock, for sure, as I saw and heard it hit. When you look at the spot where the rock hit and the crack began, it doesn't look like a rock chip or impact. I only know it was because I saw the rock flying through the air and then hitting it. I'm wondering if OP caught a rock and just didn't see/hear it.

Mopar has a Gorilla Glass replacement windshield in the works, but it isn't ready yet. I'd wait, if I could, but I can't stand the crack, so I'm shelling out for a windshield from Safelite.