Stock muffler replacement

Ok this sounds inexpensive. My buddies replaced his JK muffler with a dynomax one in same location but it was lower profile. I believe he had it welded on though...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just cut it off before the axle? It’s July 4th MURICA!

keviper1

I don’t understand the desire to replace the exhaust. There is little to no performance gain. It’s not like the 3.6 really has a decent sound when opened up. Save the coin.

Now if it was a big block Chev..........exhaust is a must.

I just purchased the Magnaflow Rock Crawler exhaust and it’s not for performance. I do it so I won’t crush the giant exhaust system in the Jeep. This one will be tucked in and it will be significantly harder to smash it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JLF

I just purchased the Magnaflow Rock Crawler exhaust and it’s not for performance. I do it so I won’t crush the giant exhaust system in the Jeep. This one will be tucked in and it will be significantly harder to smash it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sir,

Please let me know how you like this exhaust. I'm considering buying one as well, but I'm curious as to how much louder (or potentially annoying) it is over stock. I know this is a subjective thing but any opinions would be much appreciated.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I saw dynomax recently released a new exhaust for the JL. Sounds good from the video clips I have heard

NFRs2000NYC

Im curious as to the noise levels of the trail style exhausts (pre axle dump) on the turbo models. I didn't like any 3.6 exhausts because they all droned or were too loud for my taste (understandable with the much smaller muffler) but the turbo models, in addition to getting a bit more power (possibly up to 20whp) the noise wouldn't be an issue.

JTCO

Meme King
Im curious as to the noise levels of the trail style exhausts (pre axle dump) on the turbo models. I didn't like any 3.6 exhausts because they all droned or were too loud for my taste (understandable with the much smaller muffler) but the turbo models, in addition to getting a bit more power (possibly up to 20whp) the noise wouldn't be an issue.

Me too. Even with a turbo 4, or NA 6, it's hard to produce a mean sound IMO in comparison to a V8 regardless of muffler. Hoping anything that comes out for the T4 will have a nice clean sound instead of sounding obnoxious like they usually do on 4 cylinder motors. Dynomax mastered the Quiet Crawler on the JK, I hope something like that can be done on the 4 cylinder engine.

I love the sound that Invidia created on the WRX, but not so sure I would want that sound on a Jeep.

Deezus

I had the Dynomax quiet crawler and it had a great sound with no drone.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

NFRs2000NYC

Me too. Even with a turbo 4, or NA 6, it's hard to produce a mean sound IMO in comparison to a V8 regardless of muffler. Hoping anything that comes out for the T4 will have a nice clean sound instead of sounding obnoxious like they usually do on 4 cylinder motors. Dynomax mastered the Quiet Crawler on the JK, I hope something like that can be done on the 4 cylinder engine.

I love the sound that Invidia created on the WRX, but not so sure I would want that sound on a Jeep.

Living in NJ, and driving annually out west for wheeling, keeping the OEM (or close to it) quietness is important to me. My first JKU had an AFE on it, and it looked good, and sounded good, but got real annoying real fast on the highway at certain RPM, and certain speeds. However, I really really hate the butt of a wrangler with that huge muffler. On my current JKUR, I plaited it black, so it was less noticeable, but I'd love to have a pre axle dump on my diesel, and like I said, with the turbo motors, hopefully there is some nice HP and TQ to be gained....especially with a straight pipe. :D

BillArnett

Living in NJ, and driving annually out west for wheeling, keeping the OEM (or close to it) quietness is important to me. My first JKU had an AFE on it, and it looked good, and sounded good, but got real annoying real fast on the highway at certain RPM, and certain speeds. However, I really really hate the butt of a wrangler with that huge muffler. On my current JKUR, I plaited it black, so it was less noticeable, but I'd love to have a pre axle dump on my diesel, and like I said, with the turbo motors, hopefully there is some nice HP and TQ to be gained....especially with a straight pipe. :D

I have the aFe Rock Basher which exits ahead of the axle. I like that it’s much less likely to get bashed on the rocks but I must say that I do NOT like the sound. It’s very loud. Some might say that it sounds “mean” or “powerful” but to me it’s just loud. I’m doing at 2000 mile trip next week which is unfortunately mostly highway. If the noise bothers me too much I may have to change. Or not. We’ll see....

JTCO

Meme King
I have the aFe Rock Basher which exits ahead of the axle. I like that it’s much less likely to get bashed on the rocks but I must say that I do NOT like the sound. It’s very loud. Some might say that it sounds “mean” or “powerful” but to me it’s just loud. I’m doing at 2000 mile trip next week which is unfortunately mostly highway. If the noise bothers me too much I may have to change. Or not. We’ll see....

When Dynomax did the Quiet Crawler kit for the 3.6 JK, they installed a resonator downstream from the muffler. That may be something to consider being you already spent money on the muffler. They're about 60-70 bucks online it looks like: http://www.dynomax.com/race-series-bullet-round-24246.html

BillArnett

Thanks! I'll think about that. "up to a 4 dbA sound reduction" isn't a lot but it would certainly help. How does it work, exactly? I"m guessing it fits between the muffler and the tailpipe? But doesn't that mean I would have to shorten the tailpipe? That doesn't sound too hard, but I've never done any work on exhaust plumbing.

JTCO

Meme King
Thanks! I'll think about that. "up to a 4 dbA sound reduction" isn't a lot but it would certainly help. How does it work, exactly? I"m guessing it fits between the muffler and the tailpipe? But doesn't that mean I would have to shorten the tailpipe? That doesn't sound too hard, but I've never done any work on exhaust plumbing.

Automotive stores have clamps if you aren't able to weld. But yes it goes there. It's shown in this video along with sound clips. This is Eddie and Cindy's old Jeep with the 3.6L :

Deezus

Automotive stores have clamps if you aren't able to weld. But yes it goes there. It's shown in this video along with sound clips. This is Eddie and Cindy's old Jeep with the 3.6L :

I loved my Quiet crawler.

Deezus

Yeah, that's definitely quieter than my aFe.
Did you research before purchasing? We have all made purchases like this but if you search online you will find that the quiet crawler is the quietest as well as the most affordable.

keviper1

Sir,

Please let me know how you like this exhaust. I'm considering buying one as well, but I'm curious as to how much louder (or potentially annoying) it is over stock. I know this is a subjective thing but any opinions would be much appreciated.

Just had it delivered yesterday. Going to try and get it installed in the next week or so and I’ll report back. Maybe I’ll throw up a video on here. I’m honestly only getting this exhaust for off-roading. I couldn’t care less about the performance “gains” or sound. Although hoping drone is limited.

I will say the JL exhaust seems to have more drone to it than the JK.

I’ll report back once installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk