How are you mounting your CB and antenna

ansmail06

Hey there! I am trying to figure out where is the best location to mount my CB and my antenna. What does everyone think? My CB is the uniden 510 (I believe) and I will be using a fire stick antenna. Thank you for your input!!

hins2jw0

Hey there! I am trying to figure out where is the best location to mount my CB and my antenna. What does everyone think? My CB is the uniden 510 (I believe) and I will be using a fire stick antenna. Thank you for your input!!
Lol, good question. I previously scoured the forum regarding that same topic and no one is really talking about that yet. I'm still in a holding pattern on my order so... I'll be in the same boat eventually.

Josh

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

RustyE

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting power wires to the cb in the new JL? I just spent too long trying to figure out how to get the power there without having the HD electrical option. I’ve already got the antenna mounted and wiring ran to the space behind the glovebox. I have the Uniden CMX560.

Rusty

hins2jw0

WranJLerYYC

Just finished our CB install.

Cobra 75 with a red FireStick antenna.

Originally wanted to install the module behind the glove box like the JKs but there is very limited room now. So my next thought was under the Center console. After removing the 4 screws and lifting the entire console, there was again, limited room. So I settled on installing it inside the arm rest box. We ran the power and ant cables down through the bottom and out the side under the carpet to the passenger side. Then ran the wires along the side to the engine bay and rear.

I went to Home Depot and bought some steel L bracket and cut it down to 6”. Then drill out two holes 4.5” apart for the hinge bolts an one for the antenna. Oh and one for the ground.

Finished the wiring and tuned her up today with an SWR meter. (1.25 on channels 1 & 40). IMG_3702.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, finally found enough time to make a mount that can accommodate a full size CB Radio. I should note that my mount is 100% bolt on as in, NO DRILLING or cutting required and it clears all the freedom top latches.

20180710172519-d2fac4b8-me.jpg

:cool:

NFRs2000NYC

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason why people go with the full size CB radios instead of say the Cobra 75 or something compact? Is it the power, because i was under the impression that legally, you can only transmit a certain amount and all CBs can transmit said amount. Is it sound quality? Genuinely curious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly off topic, but is there a reason why people go with the full size CB radios instead of say the Cobra 75 or something compact? Is it the power, because i was under the impression that legally, you can only transmit a certain amount and all CBs can transmit said amount. Is it sound quality? Genuinely curious.

The speaker on a Cobra 75 is super tiny and pretty much useless when running doorless and/or topless. Sure, you can install a larger aux speaker but then, you now have to figure out where to put it. A full size CB radio like a Cobra 29 already has a large speaker and one that is very audible. ALSO and more importantly, a full size CB radio like a Cobra 29 has a LOT more controls. Above and beyond squelch, you can also adjust RF gain and this dramatically increase your ability to hear people from farther distances. You also have the ability to do things like adjust how loud you broadcast out. And of course, most come with the ability to calibrate your SWR.

ansmail06

Okay, finally found enough time to make a mount that can accommodate a full size CB Radio. I should note that my mount is 100% bolt on as in, NO DRILLING or cutting required and it clears all the freedom top latches.

That looks awesome!!! That is where I would ideally like to mount mine. As of right now my CB is in my center console. Are you going to be doing a write up on how you were able to mount yours?

avnmech

Can you do a write up on this mount, or a price, I'm needing a mount like this for a 800 EDACS radio for my fire department, as I frequently need to monitor my fire departments radio traffic. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you do a write up on this mount, or a price, I'm needing a mount like this for a 800 EDACS radio for my fire department, as I frequently need to monitor my fire departments radio traffic. Thank you.

I had a CAD model made for the brackets I designed and I am trying to get pricing on what it would cost to have made. I will post up more info as soon as I can.