Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5, Beadlocks, Tire Beads, Wobble, Advice...

cliff538

Here is the deal;

Had a local 4x4 shop install my KMC XD231 RG Beadlock Wheels & Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5 tires. I have a 3.5" suspension lift. The first tire they mounted took over 2 pounds of weight to balance, and they suggested I try tire beads instead of so much stick-on balance weight. So, having no experience using tire beads I said lets try it.

Drove for hours tonight experimenting with different tire pressures, everything from 45 psi to 20 psi usually in 5 pound increments (a huge thanks to the ARB Dual Compressor!, I'm sold on that thing now) What I have is a wobble or shimmy between 40 and 50 mph. (unadjusted for new tires speed). It's not all the time and seems to have the least amount of wobble using 35 psi. But, it's not a super consistent wobble, I had runs of having no wobble to having a fairly strong wobble.

It also seems I have a slight drifting to the right side. Not bad, not a "pull" just a "drift". Just lighting holding my hand on the wheel keeps it going straight.

The shop did a full alignment and swapped tires around trying to get rid of the wobble. I don't have much trouble with the drifting but the wobble just does not seem right. Even if it only happens 50 to 80% of the time depending on tire pressures.

Anybody have experience using tire beads in 37" tires?

Should I have the tire beads taken out and just add whatever weight it takes to spin balance the tires? Is it common for stick-on weights to fall off during rock crawling?

Should I expect some wobble or can I expect a 33" factory tire smooth ride with my Cooper's balanced correctly?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
32 oz on one wheel seems like an awful lot. Did they ensure that the rim is true? Did they try flipping and/or turning the tire on the rim? As far as beads go, I would stay away from them. I used black gorilla tape over my stick on weights to ensure they did not come off.

Last edited:

cliff538

32 oz on one wheel seems like an awful lot. Did they ensure that the rim is true? Did they try flipping and/or turning the tire on the rim? As far as beads go, I would stay away from them. I used black gorilla tape over my stick on weights to ensure they did not come off.

Thank you, great idea and I will ask those questions...