Adding a RAM mount to a JL Wrangler Dash

JAGS

After adding a RH4x4 cage to my JK a few years back I became spoiled to having a place to put RAM mounts. The RAM mounts in my JK are used for the CB holder (midland 75) and also my cell phone.

After some looking around I decided to test out an idea. Ordered some things up and gave it go this morning. Here’s some initial things you’ll need to get this simple mod complete.

• Philips head screwdriver
• Sharp blade/exacto knife
• RAM mount motorcycle base 11 mm hole
• Small washer
• Black electrical tape (optional)

To get started, simply remove the black center dash tray protector. Under the tray you’ll notice a small screw on both the passenger and driver side. I decided to use the passenger side screw. Remove the screw and set it aside.

IMG_5169.jpg

Now grab your motorcycle ram mount and washer and then install using the existing screw and location.

IMG_5173.jpg

You’re halfway there. Easy peezy.

Now, for a more finished look, you can trim the dash tray to fit back around the RAM mount. I chose to go this route. Note: you end up not needing to completely trim off the left side of the ridge as I did. I used some black electrical tape to clean that side up. Looks fine, but hope to save you that hassle.

IMG_5177.jpg
IMG_5176.jpg

Once trimmed to your liking, simply wrap the dash tray liner back around the installed RAM mount.

IMG_5175.jpg

Now you’re ready to mount up whatever you wish. I’m planning to do my CB and likely a cell phone holder. It’s a small screw, so I would maybe caution against mounting anything too heavy. But do as you you see fit.

Hope others might find this easy mod of value.

JAGS

Nice! I'm going to have to copy that when I get mine. Would there be any issue with putting one on each screw?

Sent from my SM-G892U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

None other than having to chop both sides of the tray liner. I would do that to keep weight down rather than load up one side.

Awesome. :thumb:

Thanks

Nice. I've been dreading a suction cup cell phone holder on my windshield.

Exactly.

YAHAHA

Thanks for this great write up. Following your lead, I bought a system and mounted it on the driver's side so it would be easier to see. Once I figure out a way to keep it from working itself loose, I'll figure the best way to cut the tray.
IMG_20180820_161332.jpgIMG_20180810_205223363.jpeg

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app