Mopar 2” coil issues with spring bow- rubbing

Cruuzer

I’m having some issues with the 2” kit, the coils is now rubbing on the bumpstop on the front drivers side.

I noticed some clicking and popping- upon inspection its hitting for sure, not super bad, but the noise is annoying..

The bow seems to have gotten worse, as it didn’t rub until just recently (approx 1000miles since install)

It appears that i have the newer spring bases (light grey)

I know this hasn’t been a popular subject, but its not cosmetic when they start hitting the bump stops...

What options are there, I’m concerned that this will just get worse...

4564A6AA-3EAD-4BBF-830E-2C0B4DC36AE7.jpgFB602560-A2BC-43FE-892D-8545C83456D2.jpgE4D69E7B-EA7D-47AB-AEB1-EB4B11F06ED9.jpg577432F2-6C12-4DAD-8584-DA5CC3908E18.jpg

I’m having some issues with the 2” kit, the coils is now rubbing on the bumpstop on the front drivers side.

I noticed some clicking and popping- upon inspection its hitting for sure, not super bad, but the noise is annoying..

The bow seems to have gotten worse, as it didn’t rub until just recently (approx 1000miles since install)

It appears that i have the newer spring bases (light grey)

I know this hasn’t been a popular subject, but its not cosmetic when they start hitting the bump stops...

What options are there, I’m concerned that this will just get worse...

View attachment 3137View attachment 3138View attachment 3139View attachment 3140

Mopar has a new spring base out for that side. I just had it installed on mine. It reduced the bow quite a bit. It did not eliminate it, but gave it much more clearance from the bump stop. Your dealer can order it. There is a TSB on it, too.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Sweet,

Ordering that tomarrow...

Thanks man, I’m glad it’s already addressed...

Just to be sure that you are not experiencing something else, Mopar states that all kits produced after May 1st already have the redesigned perch. When was yours installed?

Cruuzer

Kit was installed may 11th- bought the kit on amazon and it has both dark grey and light grey spring perches in the kit. The kit said to use the light grey ones....

I’m wondering if i already have the new perches? I bought the kit on amazon- so I don’t know when it was produced

Is the part stamped or molded with the PN# on it (i can check that in the AM) to see what i have

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
These are not my pictures, but it is my understanding that the old perch is on the left and the new/redesigned perch is on the right...

20180524_134417.jpg

20180524_134451.jpg

20180524_134523.jpg

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Another pic... note the two molded lines going down the side (middle picture in the post above) can be seen in this picture.

20180622_230625.jpg

Cruuzer

Perfect, ill compare them in the AM and let you know!

Serious thank to your attention to details and follow through, if we meet, a few rounds of cold ones are on me!

Perfect, ill compare them in the AM and let you know!

Serious thank to your attention to details and follow through, if we meet, a few rounds of cold ones are on me!

If you had two sets of perches, I'm betting you already have it. It may be possible they just threw them in with kits that had already been assembled.

Four Flusher

I best you could take the old perch to any Jeep dealer and get a free new one. Also, some folks are adding the RK perch, it's supposedly a better design.

Jeeper424

Isolator

I read about this and found the video from Jeep Informant. He had the lift part number and the actual bulletin, and not sure if the kit was the older kit, I picked up the left isolator with the part number mentioned here. I installed the kit last weekend and drove on some stutter road conditions. I have not noticed any noises yet. The bump stop appears to be in the center of the spring. The alignment is pretty good, tracking good except for the steering wheel not being straight. After deciding on what size tires, I'll get it aligned to make sure and adjust the steering wheel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I read about this and found the video from Jeep Informant. He had the lift part number and the actual bulletin, and not sure if the kit was the older kit, I picked up the left isolator with the part number mentioned here. I installed the kit last weekend and drove on some stutter road conditions. I have not noticed any noises yet. The bump stop appears to be in the center of the spring. The alignment is pretty good, tracking good except for the steering wheel not being straight. After deciding on what size tires, I'll get it aligned to make sure and adjust the steering wheel.

The sound you're hearing is probably the coil rubbing on the bump stop tower. Also, you don't need an alignment, you just need to recenter your steering wheel. This write-up of mine will help you to do that and in just minutes using a 15mm wrench.

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...NT-END-ALIGNMENT&p=12268&viewfull=1#post12268

Jeeper424

I have not heard any noises at all. I pre-empted problems by just replacing the isolator with the fix it part.

I will check out the write up, thank you.

Don

offcamber

I have not heard any noises at all. I pre-empted problems by just replacing the isolator with the fix it part.

I will check out the write up, thank you.

Don

The "improved" Mopar spring isolator will start to collapse if you wheel it. It is constructed the same as the stock one, it's not solid. When I did my Mopar 2" lift and removed my stock spring isolators, the stock ones had began to collapse to the outside after two trips of moderate wheeling. The Rock Krawler spring pad is solid and perfectly aligns the springs.

I know daystar makes a kit for factory and non factory lift kits there is a diff part number for each respectively

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruuzer

Since i did the mopar perch its been fine, there is still bow, but its not rubbing the bump stop perch anymore.

I think its crappy that they made me buy the fix to their issue!