Soft Top with Rear Window Removed?

Waiting

I know the manual says not to ride with just the rear window removed because of exhaust gas intrusion into the cabin. My questions is, Can the top be up, with the side windows attached, and the rear window removed, without risk of losing the side windows or having the top blow back? I would always drive in the JK with windows out and I would be bummed if I could not do this in the JL.

13_gecko_rubi

That's just mumbo jumbo for liability. As long as you're not idling in one place for a long time, you'll never have an issue.

Sent from my SM-G892U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Idling isn't the huge issue, it's moving. When moving in a brick on wheels it sticks the air in from back inside the cabin. Is it enough to hurt you, that's open to speculation. Is it enough to put a warning in to cya, yup lol

Sent via....

WiscoHR

If you want to drive with rear window open, I recommend having side windows open too. Otherwise when you accelerate you will definitely smell exhaust. Think about when your driving in dust. How much dust ends up on the back window. It’s all about aerodynamics and turbulence. The air is pulled to the back window or lack there of.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Idling isn't the huge issue, it's moving. When moving in a brick on wheels it sticks the air in from back inside the cabin. Is it enough to hurt you, that's open to speculation. Is it enough to put a warning in to cya, yup lol

Sent via....
I didn't realize that dynamic was in effect. I'm assuming that simply rolling down the window would negate this potential hazard?

Sent from my SM-G892U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Taxman

I think Jeep designed the three rear windows to function as a single unit. They are all attached to each other and don’t really work well on their own. There is no “click” or affirmation that the two side quarter windows are in place. There’s a small groove on the bottom corner plate, but it doesn’t offer any clip or secure fastening of the window.

Just keep all three windows on or off and enjoy the breeze.

RMC2

I’m not sure the side windows will stay in place with the back window out at highway speeds.

Now the top on the other hand, it will definitely stay in place. Very neat design there.

YAHAHA

I tried this and the side windows were not secure with the back window out driving 55mph. Driving 40 mph they were shaking pretty good. I also had all four door windows down.

I tried to pull the top back in the sunrider position with the side and back windows in and it blew out one of the side windows. Again, I had the door windows open.

I prefer to pull the side & back windows out and leave the top up safari style if I want to keep the sun off me. Otherwise, it's top down in the summer!

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I’d rock it like a safari top or fully closed. Just don’t scratch your windows & try to keep them all on a flat surface while they’re out. I wrecked my JKs & thought I was being careful. When I bought my second top I got a bag to keep them safe in.

klv30907

I know the manual says not to ride with just the rear window removed because of exhaust gas intrusion into the cabin. My questions is, Can the top be up, with the side windows attached, and the rear window removed, without risk of losing the side windows or having the top blow back? I would always drive in the JK with windows out and I would be bummed if I could not do this in the JL.

I would remove the rear and keep the sides in with my JK and never considered it would be a problem with my JL. I did it, sunrider open rear window removed, sides in all 4 windows down topped out at 68 MPH and had no problem at all. It was a sustained 68. Maybe because it was new and the top was still “factory” installed on the sides. After reading this maybe I shouldn’t try it again but it wasn’t an issue.