New Dana Gears

Deezus

One thing I haven’t seen anyone talk about on this thread and is the real reason to regear is stress on that very likely expensive 8 speed trans that I have. Drivability wise I would agree that the stock 4.10 are not horrible with 37s. Got about 6500 miles on mine now and really the stress on the trans is what concerned me. I’ll likely regear some time in the future.
Not horrible? IMO there is absolutely no reason to regear running 37s and 4.10 gears on the JLUR. The computer does what you tell it and has to be programmed to compensate for tire size. I love having power and going 70mph at 2k rpms.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13_gecko_rubi

Not horrible? IMO there is absolutely no reason to regear running 37s and 4.10 gears on the JLUR. The computer does what you tell it and has to be programmed to compensate for tire size. I love having power and going 70mph at 2k rpms.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You'd still be going 70 at 2k rpm but in 8th instead of 7th. If cost was no option, everyone would and should regear to use the wide spread of the 8 speed. In reality where most people actually have a budget not regearing isn't going to hurt the trans at all. You are just going to lose a little bit of grunt in 1st and spent a lot of time in 7th. True "total vehicle gear ratio" should include tire size. At 70 mph running factory 4.10s and 37s in 7th vs regeared axles and 37s in 8th is going to net you similar engine rpm on hwy. You can't really drop it much or engine wouldn't be able to hold it You just lose some low end leaving it stock.

IMO opinion on 37s to make full use of the 8 speed you'd want 5.13s with the 3.6 and probably 4.88s with the 2.0 as it can hold higher torque at lower rpm.

Again just my 2c

Sent via....

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You'd still be going 70 at 2k rpm but in 8th instead of 7th. If cost was no option, everyone would and should regear to use the wide spread of the 8 speed. In reality where most people actually have a budget not regearing isn't going to hurt the trans at all. You are just going to lose a little bit of grunt in 1st and spent a lot of time in 7th. True "total vehicle gear ratio" should include tire size. At 70 mph running factory 4.10s and 37s in 7th vs regeared axles and 37s in 8th is going to net you similar engine rpm on hwy. You can't really drop it much or engine wouldn't be able to hold it You just lose some low end leaving it stock.

IMO opinion on 37s to make full use of the 8 speed you'd want 5.13s with the 3.6 and probably 4.88s with the 2.0 as it can hold higher torque at lower rpm.

Again just my 2c

Sent via....

Good information. It’s just nice to be able to delay a regear. Moving it farther down the list of necessary modifications is great, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think if you had the chance to try both, you would regear.

Maybe. But then, the only reason why any of us started to regear at all way back in the day is because we NEEDED to regear. The amount of lost power felt after bumping up to bigger tires was significant and nothing short of a regear would help things along. The JL is without question the very first Jeep I've owned that hasn't made me want to regear immediately after installing bigger tires.