New Dana Gears

sandhu07

Hi everyone. Dis anyone checked on the gear upgrades available from Dana. They have posted a new video on upgrading gears. Northridge 4x4 has a package for 467.66 for front and rear 4.88 gear upgrade. Has anyone gave a thought about it. Or anyone got it on their JLUR. Any Idea on what should be the total cost for such a upgrade if we look Labour and parts?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Hi everyone. Dis anyone checked on the gear upgrades available from Dana. They have posted a new video on upgrading gears. Northridge 4x4 has a package for 467.66 for front and rear 4.88 gear upgrade. Has anyone gave a thought about it. Or anyone got it on their JLUR. Any Idea on what should be the total cost for such a upgrade if we look Labour and parts?

Shops generally charge 4-6 hours of labor per axle. It's a very time-consuming job.

Jesse_01

I put 5.13 in wife's jeep. Labour & oil was $1500cdn. Roughly 10hrs. Love the gear change. Has a little more pep than stock. 5.13, 37x12.5.17 cooper stt, & automatic.

I bought them from east coast gear along with the master install kit. I received them with in a week to Canada.

sandhu07

I put 5.13 in wife's jeep. Labour & oil was $1500cdn. Roughly 10hrs. Love the gear change. Has a little more pep than stock. 5.13, 37x12.5.17 cooper stt, & automatic.

I bought them from east coast gear along with the master install kit. I received them with in a week to Canada.

Does that effect anything else. I have been told that with higher gears the pressure on engine increases. How is the Gas Mileage did you noticed any change in that.

13_gecko_rubi

Does that effect anything else. I have been told that with higher gears the pressure on engine increases. How is the Gas Mileage did you noticed any change in that.

With higher gears the pressure on the engine decreases. Jump on a 10 speed bike. Put it in high gear and pedal. Then put it in low gear and pedal. Which one is easier on you? Low gear (higher numerical gearing)

Sent via....

Jesse_01

Didn't get a chance to noticed gas mileage. We owned it for 12hrs before it went in to get gears done.

It definitely moves those big tires effortlessly for how heavy they are.

JTCO

Meme King
You need higher rpm for the hundreds of extra lbs of rolling mass. 4.88s dont work that well for holding 5th in a JK with 37s. With the even lower 8th gear in a JL u want 5.13s for 37s. Just my 2c

Sent via....

Along with that is extra shit you're carrying. The new JL trans sounds promising, but with previous models, extra food, beer, tools, gear, spare parts, dead bodies, ammo, etc, one more higher gear would definitely be helpful for the extra weight, especially with heavier bumpers and sliders.

13_gecko_rubi

Along with that is extra shit you're carrying. The new JL trans sounds promising, but with previous models, extra food, beer, tools, gear, spare parts, dead bodies, ammo, etc, one more higher gear would definitely be helpful for the extra weight, especially with heavier bumpers and sliders.
Yup. I ran 4.88s in my JK with 37s and hated it. I spent way too much time in 4th and even 3rd on hwy. I tell my friends with JKs to run 5.13s with 37s. In a JL 5.13 is entry point IMO. I'd run 5.38s in mine most likely

Sent via....

BillArnett

The Gecko makes some good points. But so for I'm happy with stock gears and 37s, though I've only got 1300 miles so far. I would recommend driving for a while with the stock gears after you upgrade your tires before spending a lot of money on gears. See how you like it before you make a decision.

Jesse_01

The Gecko makes some good points. But so for I'm happy with stock gears and 37s, though I've only got 1300 miles so far. I would recommend driving for a while with the stock gears after you upgrade your tires before spending a lot of money on gears. See how you like it before you make a decision.

As a daily is where it would drive me nuts. Wheeling you always have 4lo to help a bit.

Jesse_01

Yup. I ran 4.88s in my JK with 37s and hated it. I spent way too much time in 4th and even 3rd on hwy. I tell my friends with JKs to run 5.13s with 37s. In a JL 5.13 is entry point IMO. I'd run 5.38s in mine most likely

Sent via....

[emoji848] I would be interested in seeing what 5.38 would be like. As a daily driver I think it would be to much. Would be a good option to try as a wheeler thought. Your not worried about the higher RPM @ highway speeds. But at what point does the the gear size affect the strength.

A large part of me wants to sell my TJ & buy a 2 door JL. Lol I could swing the extra payment. But is $500/month really worth it for a new wheeler? [emoji23] I could put $6000k a year into my TJ & have a pretty sweet rig.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

[emoji848] I would be interested in seeing what 5.38 would be like. As a daily driver I think it would be to much. Would be a good option to try as a wheeler thought. Your not worried about the higher RPM @ highway speeds. But at what point does the the gear size affect the strength.

A large part of me wants to sell my TJ & buy a 2 door JL. Lol I could swing the extra payment. But is $500/month really worth it for a new wheeler? [emoji23] I could put $6000k a year into my TJ & have a pretty sweet rig.

On left is 5.38, on right is 5.13. It is 100ish rpm higher at 75. Would hurt FE a tad but nothing major. I prefer acceleration. If I cared about FE I'd buy a Prius lolScreenshot_20180622-200708_Chrome.jpeg

Your point on strength is very valid. I always forget that as I dont rin stock axles and dont plan to in the JL either.

Sent via....

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Stock works fine because it's all about final drive ratios. You are just using your 8 speed as a 6 or 7 speed. On low end the deeper gears still makes it accelerate great. It's not a bad combo and u r right, is it worth the money? That's up to you.

Sent via....

BillArnett

... I prefer acceleration. If I cared about FE I'd buy a Prius lol

Sent via....

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Easiest one I know of. Use Dodge 845rfe for the JL trans.

Sent via....

Thanks! That's a nice calculator.

With our nice 8-speed tranny the difference between 5.38 and 4.10 gears (all else being the same) boils down to what happens at very low and very high speeds; at moderate speeds the Jeep with 4.10s is just one gear lower than the one with 5.38s and who cares? But at high speeds the engine spinning the 4.10s is running slower, making less noise and probably getting slightly better fuel efficiency. At very low speeds the one with 5.38s is spinning faster making a bit more power. The one with 5.38s will probably win a drag race, but not by much. It will also crawl slower at a given RPM but again, not by much: 5.38s at 1500 in 1st gear low range on 37" tires will be going 1.6 mph, the one with 4.10s will be doing 2.1 mph. Does that matter?

I prefer lower RPMs at high speed. If I cared about acceleration I'd buy a Tesla :yup:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks! That's a nice calculator.

With our nice 8-speed tranny the difference between 5.38 and 4.10 gears (all else being the same) boils down to what happens at very low and very high speeds; at moderate speeds the Jeep with 4.10s is just one gear lower than the one with 5.38s and who cares? But at high speeds the engine spinning the 4.10s is running slower, making less noise and probably getting slightly better fuel efficiency. At very low speeds the one with 5.38s is spinning faster making a bit more power. The one with 5.38s will probably win a drag race, but not by much. It will also crawl slower at a given RPM but again, not by much: 5.38s at 1500 in 1st gear low range on 37" tires will be going 1.6 mph, the one with 4.10s will be doing 2.1 mph. Does that matter?

I prefer lower RPMs at high speed. If I cared about acceleration I'd buy a Tesla :yup:

You won’t get better fuel economy, unless the entire world is flat. It won’t stay in 8th gear. You’ll be in 6th or 7th all the time.