Evo Long arm & skid plates

Jesse_01

I was looking at ordering a skid plate while waiting for the eco long arm to show up. Then I realize that the skid plates currently out on the market will get in the way of the brackets & arms. So I either modify the skid plates or go back to a short arm or build a custom skid plate.

keviper1

Why are you going long arm? Really no reason to with a JK or JL unless you’re planning on running massive tires and you just want that setup. I don’t think any skid manufacturers make them for long arms as so few people run them. I’d contact Rock Hard 4x4 (best skids imo) and see if they have any sheets for long arm adjustments to their system.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I was looking at ordering a skid plate while waiting for the eco long arm to show up. Then I realize that the skid plates currently out on the market will get in the way of the brackets & arms. So I either modify the skid plates or go back to a short arm or build a custom skid plate.

How high are you lifting this thing that you would want the benefits of a long arm system?

ddays v2

Why are you going long arm? Really no reason to with a JK or JL unless you’re planning on running massive tires and you just want that setup. I don’t think any skid manufacturers make them for long arms as so few people run them. I’d contact Rock Hard 4x4 (best skids imo) and see if they have any sheets for long arm adjustments to their system.

EVO makes skids that work with their LA kit for the JK's. Not sure bout the JL's tho. I think you'd be surprised at the amount of guys running their LA kit...

keviper1

EVO makes skids that work with their LA kit for the JK's. Not sure bout the JL's tho. I think you'd be surprised at the amount of guys running their LA kit...

I’m not saying people don’t run LA kits - I’m just curious as to why he wants to run LA. It’s really honestly unnecessary unless you’re planning on doing some seriously crazy off-roading.

JTCO

Meme King
Long arm kits are strictly to make your control arm geometry angles closer to parallel with the ground so your ON-ROAD ride is better. That's it. They don't do anything else. The travel of the shock is what limits your down travel regardless of your arm length. If you have the money and definitely want it, then do it, however it's far from necessary but will improve your ride on the road especially if you're lifted around 3-6 inches.
Also, not sure how the JL kit will be, but a lot of other previous model kits require cutting off your factory brackets and welding new ones in place further back on the frame.

Untitled.jpg

Jesse_01

Long arm kits are strictly to make your control arm geometry angles closer to parallel with the ground so your ON-ROAD ride is better. That's it. They don't do anything else. The travel of the shock is what limits your down travel regardless of your arm length. If you have the money and definitely want it, then do it, however it's far from necessary but will improve your ride on the road especially if you're lifted around 3-6 inches.
Also, not sure how the JL kit will be, but a lot of other previous model kits require cutting off your factory brackets and welding new ones in place further back on the frame.

View attachment 3122

Pretty much what he said is why I am going long arm. A extra $1000 is nothing when you buy a new $50,000 vehicle. The money I saved on no nav, led or dummy sensors eaily paid the difference & more.

ddays v2

View attachment 3122

Yup, exactly this. I did my LA kit because at the time I was planning on getting a travel trailer and this would have helped with the stability and handling ON-ROAD. I've been off-road with it several times since the install and I honestly can't tell a difference there. On-road? Night and day - it's that good. Is it really necessary? Nope. But it sure is pretty sweet!

Having said that, one of the most awesome things about the JL's is being able to run 37's with just a simple budget boost and still get great on and off road handling. Really negates the need for the LA kit unless you're doing a DTD setup or something similar.

NFRs2000NYC

Ah, probably another $1000 worth of welding to boot. I will most likely end up with the 2.5" enforcer with king shocks for my JL, but will wait for EVO confirmation that their springs will handle the diesel engine, since I believe it is heavier than the other 2 offerings, or if they will release a diesel specific enforcer kit.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Ah, probably another $1000 worth of welding to boot. I will most likely end up with the 2.5" enforcer with king shocks for my JL, but will wait for EVO confirmation that their springs will handle the diesel engine, since I believe it is heavier than the other 2 offerings, or if they will release a diesel specific enforcer kit.
I bet they have a unique kit. Springs, shock tuning, possibly more.

Sent via....

Deezus

Pretty much what he said is why I am going long arm. A extra $1000 is nothing when you buy a new $50,000 vehicle. The money I saved on no nav, led or dummy sensors eaily paid the difference & more.

What he said.....I ask several members here about a LA for my Jk, many who actually had LA kits, and most of them if not all basically talked me out of it....I do not plan on running my JL over 4 inches so I'll be going short arm and coilover. This is the set up I believe Eddie is planning for as well... I could be wrong about that though.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What he said.....I ask several members here about a LA for my Jk, many who actually had LA kits, and most of them if not all basically talked me out of it....I do not plan on running my JL over 4 inches so I'll be going short arm and coilover. This is the set up I believe Eddie is planning for as well... I could be wrong about that though.

Like the JK before, the JL arms are pretty long right from the factory. In fact, the front arms are about an inch longer than the JK. Back in the day, TJ's had REALLY short arms and that's what made long arms so nice. While long arms could be beneficial on a 3.5", I do plan on doing it with just factory length arms and think it'll do well.

BillArnett

Like the JK before, the JL arms are pretty long right from the factory. In fact, the front arms are about an inch longer than the JK. Back in the day, TJ's had REALLY short arms and that's what made long arms so nice. While long arms could be beneficial on a 3.5", I do plan on doing it with just factory length arms and think it'll do well.

When you go to a 3.5" lift your adjustable LCAs will adjust far enough to get the caster right again, right?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When you go to a 3.5" lift your adjustable LCAs will adjust far enough to get the caster right again, right?

Oh yeah. The control arms are like the hypotenuse of a triangle and just because you go up an inch in height doesn't mean they'll need to be adjusted out as much too.

BillArnett

Oh yeah. The control arms are like the hypotenuse of a triangle and just because you go up an inch in height doesn't mean they'll need to be adjusted out as much too.

Right. My math skills are insufficient to come up with a formula for this, especially since the triangle in question isn't quite a right triangle. One could work it out numerically but I don't know the lengths of the other two sides. Just guessing, I would say that if you add 1" of lift you'll have to lengthen the LCAs by about 1/2". That sounds like it's probably within your range of adjustment but maybe just barely?

Of course as you know, for such a large lift you'll also have to adjust the upper arms to get the driveshaft pinion angles back within spec. And that will change how much the LCAs have to adjust.

IIRC, the EVO 2.5" lift comes with instructions about how long to make each arm. Maybe Mel will do the math and publish a chart saying exactly how long each arm should be for any given lift :)

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Right. My math skills are insufficient to come up with a formula for this, especially since the triangle in question isn't quite a right triangle. One could work it out numerically but I don't know the lengths of the other two sides. Just guessing, I would say that if you add 1" of lift you'll have to lengthen the LCAs by about 1/2". That sounds like it's probably within your range of adjustment but maybe just barely?

Of course as you know, for such a large lift you'll also have to adjust the upper arms to get the driveshaft pinion angles back within spec. And that will change how much the LCAs have to adjust.

IIRC, the EVO 2.5" lift comes with instructions about how long to make each arm. Maybe Mel will do the math and publish a chart saying exactly how long each arm should be for any given lift :)

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

Deezus

I believe the newer Evo upper CAs are adjustable on the Jeep.