Got caught in the rain

Vadik958

Hi all! Have a question. Took the hard top off for the first time, went running some errands and got mansooned on. First couple of minutes of driving was fine, but then the radio quit working and the Uconnect started going crazy with changing screens and making sounds. Thought it was supposed to be waterproof. It was back to normal once it dried out. Wondering if anyone had a similar experience and if there’s a way to prevent it. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Interesting. Anxious to see what others have to say. We've had water in our WJ and JK with no issues, but the JL is supposed to be the baddest ass waterproof machine in regards to this.

WWRuby_Svi

My guess is some connector pins got wet and messed it up until it dries out. There are a number of electrical specifications that these things are likely tested to that will make sure they are good. Some of these tests will say intermittent failure is ok as long as it goes back to normal. With that said, I wonder how pins will hold up over time...
I’m not sure what Jeeps official statement on what the JL can handle for this.

RMC2

This would be good to know info. The modern electronics scare the crap out of me. The only thing I worry about on my CJ is water in the distributor cap, or the intake.

4wd

This would be good to know info. The modern electronics scare the crap out of me. The only thing I worry about on my CJ is water in the distributor cap, or the intake.
Get a snorkle, then you are down to one : )

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

NFRs2000NYC

Probably water resistant not water proof. Difference.

And even then, there is a massive difference in "resistant." My Rolex deepsea is water resistant to 12800 feet, but not waterproof. Iphone X is water resistant to 1 meter, not waterproof. So you are definitely correct, this marketing crap is very misleading to many.

OP, the IP ratings of electronics is what you are looking for...rigid lights for instance are IP67 or 68 rated, which means that even if submerged, they will still function. The electronics on a jeep dashboard are probably water "resistant" to the point of a solid wet sneeze, meaning, a little bit of a sprinkle they can tolerate. Actual rainfall, no way. I don't see any seals around any of the electronics, I don't think the circuit boards are dipped in silicone, etc...that was a big marketing mistake on their part saying that, because while IMHO, most people understand that you can't submerge the dash under water, MANY would assume that the only other possible water intrusion into the cabin would be rain, and they made it sound like it can handle that. While I personally never remove my hard top, my advice for those that do and travel topless, some company, I can't remember the name, maybe even besttop, make an emergency top specifically for cases like yours. Might be a wise idea to have one, just in case something like this happens again.

And even then, there is a massive difference in "resistant." My Rolex deepsea is water resistant to 12800 feet, but not waterproof. Iphone X is water resistant to 1 meter, not waterproof. So you are definitely correct, this marketing crap is very misleading to many.

OP, the IP ratings of electronics is what you are looking for...rigid lights for instance are IP67 or 68 rated, which means that even if submerged, they will still function. The electronics on a jeep dashboard are probably water "resistant" to the point of a solid wet sneeze, meaning, a little bit of a sprinkle they can tolerate. Actual rainfall, no way. I don't see any seals around any of the electronics, I don't think the circuit boards are dipped in silicone, etc...that was a big marketing mistake on their part saying that, because while IMHO, most people understand that you can't submerge the dash under water, MANY would assume that the only other possible water intrusion into the cabin would be rain, and they made it sound like it can handle that. While I personally never remove my hard top, my advice for those that do and travel topless, some company, I can't remember the name, maybe even besttop, make an emergency top specifically for cases like yours. Might be a wise idea to have one, just in case something like this happens again.

Jeep makes one too for the JL that uses elastic cords & looks like it folds up nicely. That said, I’ve seen dudes hose the inside of a JK including the dash. Also when I replaced my JKs radio there was protective plastic in there clearly for water. I’m sure it’s not perfect but I doubt the JL is a step backward.

captainrandal

A wet touch screen will behave erratically. This would apply to almost any touch screen device. Any dirt, dust, etc on the screen or in the water would amplify this. That being said, I know the backside of the 8.4 is open. There is at least one unused connection that could cause issues. That being said visually looking at the front of the radio & bezel it appears that there is sufficient coverage that any water coming down (as it rain) should run down the face and not enter the radio. Just my 3.14 cents (CDN) worth.

Randy

So I replied to this thread yesterday about my JK, but in a serious case of life imitating art I got caught off guard, no tops, and with my kids at a barbecue 20 minutes from home. One is two and the other is 3. It was BADDDDDDDD. I’m talking biblical pull the floor drains rain here in raleigh. It was funny because once I was up to 50mph the kids would stop screaming and it didn’t feel like little nails pinging my face anymore. Like we were cutting through it. Anyway, she’s totally fine and me an the kids had a good laugh after we dried off. When drops it the touch screen it would do stuff, but absolutely nothing was wrong after.

I started the engine and set the defroster on high, pulled the drains, towel dried everything, and left the windows cracked to help prevent mildew. She started perfectly, the switches all worked without issue setting climate controls, and the touch screen was fine as well.

So yes the JL is ok if it rains in it.