How does Front Axle Disconnect Work & Why a Transfer Case Modification May be Needed

13_gecko_rubi

Any time!

WJCO the factory Sport and Sahara axles are about 66.5, Rubicon is about 68. If you plan larger tires gonna want 68 or bigger imo to get full steering. I'll do the 72.5s in mine if I swap them.

Sent via....

JTCO

Meme King
Any time!

WJCO the factory Sport and Sahara axles are about 66.5, Rubicon is about 68. If you plan larger tires gonna want 68 or bigger imo to get full steering. I'll do the 72.5s in mine if I swap them.

Sent via....

I have a ProRock under the WJ up front. JK axle is 65, correct? So with 1.5 inch spacers, I'd be at 68.

If that is the case, I guess I could use that and then just re-gear the JL rear axle to match.

13_gecko_rubi

I have a ProRock under the WJ up front. JK axle is 65, correct? So with 1.5 inch spacers, I'd be at 68.

If that is the case, I guess I could use that and then just re-gear the JL rear axle to match.

JK is 65.5. You could use spacers to do that but the issue is your scrub radius will go to shit. You will also get much more lateral swing of the tire due to it being so far out from the kingpin axis. This extra lateral swing usually causes you to get into the frame/body. It could work for sure, you just have to live with less ideal steering.

I just dumped my Ud60s on my JK and went to the 72.5" XD60/PR80 for this exact same reason. Tired of crappy scrub and tire rub.

JTCO

Meme King
JK is 65.5. You could use spacers to do that but the issue is your scrub radius will go to shit. You will also get much more lateral swing of the tire due to it being so far out from the kingpin axis. This extra lateral swing usually causes you to get into the frame/body. It could work for sure, you just have to live with less ideal steering.

I just dumped my Ud60s on my JK and went to the 72.5" XD60/PR80 for this exact same reason. Tired of crappy scrub and tire rub.

Got it. Thanks. This is all just an idea in my head right now, so who knows.

NotInStock

Just wondering is this synchro the same in the Rubicon transfer case as well... Would the disassembly be the same as what Dynatrac wrote up??

Thanks,

NotInStock

ECGS

We swapped in a 60 and 80 and ours seems fine we have shifted 5 or 6 times in and out fooling around with no issue mostly on pavement. We are also running drive slugs with an ARB so this set up would be the least amount of driveline slop with the pavement causing maximum bind. Our JL has 1k miles. We will keep playing with it and see if it becomes a nuisance and report back, but for now I don't think the mod is needed.

This is a great write up as is the dynatrac tech article.

13_gecko_rubi

We swapped in a 60 and 80 and ours seems fine we have shifted 5 or 6 times in and out fooling around with no issue mostly on pavement. We are also running drive slugs with an ARB so this set up would be the least amount of driveline slop with the pavement causing maximum bind. Our JL has 1k miles. We will keep playing with it and see if it becomes a nuisance and report back, but for now I don't think the mod is needed.

This is a great write up as is the dynatrac tech article.
Awesome!! That's good to hear. I'm hoping most don't need it but so far you are the only one I know who has not had issues. But that sample size is VERY small. I hope to hear more like yours.

Without going into too much derailment, are they Dan/your 60/80s? I know he said you two were planning to do that :)

Sent via....