Steering Safety Recall - U48

MaryRod

U48 Steering Recall

Advanced Communication to dealers was released on 06/01/18 - I think that it can only be searched using the dealer VIP inquiry process until the public recall is launched. Must be serious because it is a STOP SALE recall...

I drove a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport for 5 years....traded it in on the new JL Sahara a couple of months ago....the steering SUCKS! Wanders and drifts all over the place. First thing the dealer said when I complained is 'have you driven a jeep before?" Duh! Yes...I drove the one I traded in for 5 years. This is not a 'its just a jeep thing, get used to it' issue. It feels s:mad:o dangerous that my husband refuses to drive it....he drove my little sport everywhere. Wish I had my little sport back....

Advanced Communication to dealers was released on 06/01/18 - I think that it can only be searched using the dealer VIP inquiry process until the public recall is launched. Must be serious because it is a STOP SALE recall...

I drove a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport for 5 years....traded it in on the new JL Sahara a couple of months ago....the steering SUCKS! Wanders and drifts all over the place. First thing the dealer said when I complained is 'have you driven a jeep before?" Duh! Yes...I drove the one I traded in for 5 years. This is not a 'its just a jeep thing, get used to it' issue. It feels s:mad:o dangerous that my husband refuses to drive it....he drove my little sport everywhere. Wish I had my little sport back....
That's very disheartening to hear. It makes me glad I'm waiting til closer to Christmas to order mine. I hope they get this figured out and officially acknowledge it soon.

Sent from my SM-G892U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

DavidDJL69

If Jeep is issuing an advanced notice to dealers about a steering issue, I’d appreciate knowing if it’s actually a safety issue. Will the software behind the electric/hydraulic steering system fail? Will the steering gearbox give way? I don’t see how a lift and bigger tires is the culprit. Jeeps have been modded for years and they sell the Rubicon like I have as though it’s Baja ready. Does anyone know if they’ve run this steering system in other Jeep products or is this the first go around?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

I was told that it was a software update.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

There are (at least) two JL recalls at present. One is a simple software update related to the cruise control. Dealers now have the fix and can install it in a few minutes. The other is the much more serious steering issue which is hardware. Not all JLs are affected by the later. And it's not clear if the fix is available yet.