HITCH STINGERS are NOW AVAILABLE - Order Yours Today!!

YAHAHA

Not sure why you'd want to run them anywhere except off road.
My post was more of a warning that in today's world of lawsuits, it would be a good idea to know if there are laws in states that an item such as this cannot be used on the road. I can see how this design could cause extra damage in an accident. Some states have bumper height laws.

Some off-road road products come with safety warning stickers. The lift kit for our TJ came with stickers warning about the increased danger for roll-over due to higher center of gravity.

The maker of these might consider putting a sticker on these that states "for off-road use only" just so everybody involved isn't liable in case the user of this breaks any law or causes excessive damage in a collision if used on-road.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

LoD Offroad

Advertiser
Supporter
Wow Eddie, this is great work! Are you by chance a product designer at heart? ;) :D :) Very good job documenting your work, and your presentation is very clean and concise as always! :beer:

For those of you who've been wanting one of the new and improved Hitch Stingers that I've been designing and having made for my JL Wrangler, I'm happy to announce that I just got a batch in and they are now available for purchase!

The Hitch Stinger is designed to help protect your Jeep's spare tire from catching on ledges and obstacles that would otherwise cause significant damage to your tailgate. Angled up at 20° and right from the hitch receiver, the Hitch Stinger provides maximum departure angle and reduces any hits that it may receive into glancing blows. In addition to offering 14" of protection, the Hitch Stinger also comes with 2 mounting positions so that it can be used with different tire carriers, tire widths and wheel back spacing. The Hitch Stinger is available in bare steel or in an optional semi-gloss black powder coat. Last but not least, the Hitch Stinger is MADE IN THE USA by a veteran owned shop and natives of Carson City, NV, Sean Weed and Josh Ostler.

CLICK HERE TO BUY A HITCH STINGER

NOTE: A 37" spare tire mounted on the tailgate may require a riser bracket to be installed in order for it to clear the Hitch Stinger.

The HITCH STINGER
Here are a few shots of what the Hitch Stinger looks like in a semi-gloss black powder coat. I should note that the spare tire you see is a 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pro mounted on a KMC XD231 beadlock wheel with 4.75" of back spacing and attached to the factory tailgate using an LoD riser bracket.
20180523215704-a2268fa6-me.jpg

20180523215713-6b731698-me.jpg

20180523215901-6b707891-me.jpg

Shot of what the Hitch Stinger looks like in a standard bare steel and in an optional semi-gloss black powder coat.
20180523215621-49e90d9f-me.jpg

These shots show the new and improved Hitch Stinger sitting on top of my old stinger. As you can see, the new design offers the same protection to the spare tire while providing a significantly greater amount of departure angle.
20180523215520-e79d956b-me.jpg

20180523215548-1688134c-me.jpg

As you can see here, the point on my old stinger that took the most abuse sits approximately 2.5" lower than the new and improved Hitch Stinger.
20180523215534-dcb154f4-me.jpg

20180523215537-041ed7ba-me.jpg

Here's a couple of shot of the Hitch Stinger mounted in the extended position and being field tested.
20180523220017-341009fe-me.jpg

20180523220008-cd3022eb-me.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for testing/figuring these out and putting in the time and energy to get them made!

Got my tracking number a few hours ago! [emoji1360][emoji51]

Glad to hear you got your tracking number. :yup:

Those came out awesome! Nice work Eddie!

Thanks! I'm much happier with this design. After testing it extensively, it's proven itself to work much better or at least, for me anyway.

My post was more of a warning that in today's world of lawsuits, it would be a good idea to know if there are laws in states that an item such as this cannot be used on the road. I can see how this design could cause extra damage in an accident. Some states have bumper height laws.

Some off-road road products come with safety warning stickers. The lift kit for our TJ came with stickers warning about the increased danger for roll-over due to higher center of gravity.

The maker of these might consider putting a sticker on these that states "for off-road use only" just so everybody involved isn't liable in case the user of this breaks any law or causes excessive damage in a collision if used on-road.

I have to say, it really sucks that this should be something that I'd have to be thinking about especially being that I didn't even want to make these for anyone but myself in the first place. The ONLY reason why I started making them is because so many people have been asking about them. That being said, I appreciate your concern and the warning.

Wow Eddie, this is great work! Are you by chance a product designer at heart? ;) :D :) Very good job documenting your work, and your presentation is very clean and concise as always! :beer:

LOL!! Thanks. I wish I could claim ownership of this but really, the only thing I did was improve upon someone else's idea.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Please tell me then, what makes something like this any different than someone running a trailer hitch at all times even when they are not trailering? Should trailer hitch companies start putting stickers on the hitches saying “for trailering use only” ?

YAHAHA

I have to say, it really sucks that this should be something that I'd have to be thinking about especially being that I didn't even want to make these for anyone but myself in the first place. The ONLY reason why I started making them is because so many people have been asking about them. That being said, I appreciate your concern and the warning.

I agree 100%. I hate to see people who put their passions into their work and contribute so much to a sport or hobby get burned because of that "one guy" & his group of lawyers.

Good luck and please keep up the good work. Many people benefit from your passion and dedication to the Jeep way of life!

TrailHunter

Got My Hitch Mounted Stinger today too!!!

IMG_8098.jpg

Guaranteed to protect the spare against rocks!

IMG_8099.jpg

IMG_8109.JPG

It’s a Step for Reaching new Heights!

IMG_8100.jpg

A Bike Rack!

IMG_8107.jpg

For Fishing!

IMG_8106.jpg

Are you a Farmer?? It’s a Plow!!

IMG_8104.jpg

It can Hold 5 Cocktails!!

IMG_8101.jpg

7 Beers!!!

IMG_8102.jpg

A Keg!!!

IMG_8108.jpg

And So Much More!!! Get Yours Today!!

DavidDJL69

Thanks everyone for your opinions and also your creative applications of Eddie’s stinger! My question is this: I have an Addictive Desert Designs Bumper/Spare Tire Carrier combination. The carrier attaches to the bumper and the bumper to the frame. Tailgate carries little to no weight bearing. Would Eddie’s stinger be considered “extra insurance” or just overkill since it seems the most pressing need is for those who mount their spare tire to the tailgate. I’m running 37’s as well on TR Beadlocks.
Thanks for any input/opinions.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Eazy

Got My Hitch Mounted Stinger today too!!!

View attachment 2955

Guaranteed to protect the spare against rocks!

View attachment 2956

View attachment 2957

It’s a Step for Reaching new Heights!

View attachment 2958

A Bike Rack!

View attachment 2959

For Fishing!

View attachment 2960

Are you a Farmer?? It’s a Plow!!

View attachment 2961

It can Hold 5 Cocktails!!

View attachment 2962

7 Beers!!!

View attachment 2963

A Keg!!!

View attachment 2964

And So Much More!!! Get Yours Today!!
If I hadn't already ordered one this post would of sold me !
I do all those things !

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Thanks everyone for your opinions and also your creative applications of Eddie’s stinger! My question is this: I have an Addictive Desert Designs Bumper/Spare Tire Carrier combination. The carrier attaches to the bumper and the bumper to the frame. Tailgate carries little to no weight bearing. Would Eddie’s stinger be considered “extra insurance” or just overkill since it seems the most pressing need is for those who mount their spare tire to the tailgate. I’m running 37’s as well on TR Beadlocks.

It’ll keep your tire from moving and smashing in your rear window or messing up your body.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

It all comes down to the strength of the bearing and bracket that holds the tire carrier to the bumper. ADD’s setup is obviously much stronger than the tailgate mounts. But to my eye it doesn’t look as strong as the LoD (or AEV or PoisonSpyder JK) ones. ADD brags about their “spherical bearings”; are they really stronger than they look?

But in an extreme case Eddie’s stinger would surely be a help. Only you can decide if that bit of insurance is worth the hassle.